Under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, it is mandatory to drive a vehicle in India only after you obtain a driving licence. In Uttarakhand, driving licences are issued by the Regional Transport Authority (RTO). You can apply for a driving licence in Uttarakhand by visiting the RTO that is nearest to you or through the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways or Parivahan Sewa's official website.
Types of Driving License in Uttarakhand
You will have to apply for a driving licence in Uttarakhand based on the type of vehicle you plan to drive. Here are the different kinds of licences that are issued by the RTOs in Uttarakhand:
- Driving licence for two-wheelers without gear, with an automatic gearbox
- Driving licence for light-motor vehicles with gear, both two-wheelers and four-wheelers
- Driving licence for transport vehicles, for either transporting passengers or for transporting good
Eligibility Criteria for Obtaining a Driving License in Uttarakhand
The eligibility criteria to obtain a driving licence in Uttarakhand are given below:
- Aged 16 years and above for licence for vehicles with maximum 50cc engine capacity
- Aged 18 years and above for licence for vehicles or motorcycles with gear
- Aged 20 years and above for licence for heavy motor vehicles
- Must have a learner’s licence
- Must apply for the driving licence within 180 days of obtaining a learner's licence (after 30 days of obtaining it)
Documents Required for Obtaining a Driving License in Uttarakhand
These are the documents required to obtain a driving licence in Uttarakhand:
- Proof of age (either birth certificate, passport, educational certificate, or employment certificate if a government employee)
- Proof of address (either voter's ID, ration card, passport, LIC policy bond, or employer's certificate if a government employee)
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 for commercial driving licence
- Valid learner’s license
- Passport size photographs (three in number)
Online Application of Driving License in Uttarakhand
You can apply for a driving license in Uttarakhand online by following the steps given below:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, also called Parivahan Sewa
- Step 2: Click on ''Driving license related services'' on the website
- Step 3: Choose Uttarakhand as the state
- Step 4: Click on ''Apply online''
- Step 5: Select ''New driving license''
- Step 6: Select Uttarakhand as the state
- Step 7: Click on ''Continue''
- Step 8: Fill up the application form correctly
- Step 9: Upload the required documents
A time and date for your driving test will have to be scheduled next.
Appear for the test on the designated date and time.
Offline Application of Driving Licence in Uttarakhand
You can also apply for a driving license in Uttarakhand the offline way by following the steps given below:
- Visit your nearest RTO
- Obtain the application form 4 for light motor vehicles or form 5 in case of commercial vehicles
- Fill up the application form accurately
- Submit it along with the necessary documents
- Pay the application fees
- Book a date for your driving test at the RTO
- Appear for the driving test at the RTO on the scheduled date
Application for Duplicate Driving License in Uttarakhand
You will need to apply for a duplicate driving licence if your licence has been stolen, damaged, or is missing. To obtain the duplicate licence, you will have to submit a copy of the documents that have been notarised by a notary public or gazetted officer.
- Application Form 1
- Application form LLD
- Copy of original licence
- FIR copy in the case of a stolen licence
- Challan clearance report in the case of a commercial licence
- Driving license details if it has been stolen
Renewal of Driving License in Uttarakhand
A renewed driving licence is valid for up to five years for a non-commercial vehicle and three years for a commercial vehicle. Driving licences should be renewed within 30 days from its date of expiry.
Documents required for renewal of Driving License in Uttarakhand:
These are the documents required for renewal of driving licence in Uttarakhand:
- Form 9 application form for renewal of driving licence
- Form 1A if the driver is more than 40 years of age
- Copy of the expired driver's licence
- Proof of address, self-attested
- Proof of age, self-atteste
International Driving License in Uttarakhand
An international driving licence is valid for one year and is valid in any country. There is no need for a test for an international driving licence but it is compulsory to have a valid permanent driving licence.
Documents required for applying for an International DL in Uttarakhand:
The documents for an international driving licence application in Uttarakhand are as given below:
- Attested copy of the permanent driving licence
- Attested copy of passport
- Attested copy of visa
- Proof of nationality
- Attested copy of proof of residence
- Medical Form 1-A
- Passport size photographs, five in number
Driving License Test Procedure in Uttarakhand
The driving licence test in Uttarakhand is supervised by a motor vehicles inspector. This will be conducted at the RTO that you had applied for. The test can be taken in the vehicle of the driving school or the applicant's own vehicle, which should be the same class of vehicle for which the licence has been applied for. If the applicant fails the test, they can reapply for it within 7 days with a nominal fee.
Tips for Passing Your Driver's Licence Test in Uttarakhand RTO
Follow the tips given below to help you pass your driving licence test in Uttarakhand:
- Practice meticulously before taking the test
- Reach the testing venue early so that you can calm your nerves
- Fasten your seatbelt
- Adjust the side and rear-view mirrors
- Release the hand brake
- Ensure the gear is in neutral position before starting
- Make sure to change the gears smoothly
- Use the correct indicator lights before making a turn
- Keep a safe distance from other vehicles when parking
FAQs on Driving License in Uttarakhand
After how many days of getting a learner’ licence in Uttarakhand can I apply for a driving license?
You can apply for a driving license in after 30 days of getting the learner's licence.
Is a medical certificate required for obtaining a driving licence in Uttarakhand?
Yes, a medical certificate is required but when applying for the learner's licence in Uttarakhand.
How many attempts do I get for clearing a driving licence test in Uttarakhand?
You will be given three attempts to clear the driving licence test in Uttarakhand, the first of the re-tests being permissible after 7 days of the first test. If the three consecutive attempts are also unsuccessful, you will have to wait for 2 months to apply for the test again.