A driver license is essentially a legal document which acts as proof of an individual’s ability to operate a motorcycle, bus, car or truck on roads (public). In other words, no individual has the right to operate a motor vehicle unless he has a valid driving license which authorizes him to drive a vehicle of a specific class/category.
Odisha Motor Vehicle Department
The Odisha Motor Vehicle Department is responsible for an efficient road transport mechanism for smooth movement of freight and citizens in the state. There are 35 RTOs across the state of Odisha. Each RTO consists of one Regional Transport Officer (RTO), Addl RTO (Enforcement), Inspector of Motor Vehicle IMV, Addl RTO (General), Traffic Inspectors, Asst RTO, Traffic Sub-Inspectors and Enforcement officials among others. RTO personnel are responsible for enforcing the Motor Vehicle Act and Rules in Odisha. There are around 50 lakh registered vehicles in Odisha generating an annual revenue of Rs.910 crore.
Citizens can approach an RTO which is the licensing authority in their region, to apply for a driver’s license. In other words, individuals can choose to apply in-person or online. The procedure to apply for a driver's license in-person is listed below:
- Citizens should locate their nearest RTO by logging on to http://vahan.ori.nic.in/epermit/vahan/gui/jsp/contactus.jsp.
- Application for form 4 (application for licence to drive) can be downloaded from the aforementioned website. Alternatively, form 4 can be obtained from the RTO office as well.
- The application form should be filled out. Applicants should also have some required documents as listed below:
- Learner’s license (valid)
- Driving certificate in Form-5 (transport vehicle)
- Proof of address
- Proof of age
- Three passport-sized photographs
- The required application form along with the required documents should be submitted at an RTO office after payment of fees
- RTO officials will check the submitted documents, following which, a driving test will be scheduled
- An applicant should take a driving test within 180 days of the issue of learner’s license in Odisha
- An individual will have to drive his vehicle in the presence of an examiner who will gauge the former’s knowledge vis-a-vis traffic signals and rules
- If the examiner gives the go-ahead, the candidate will receive the driver license
Validity of Driving License
The validity periods of different types of driving license issued in odisha are listed in the table below:
|Transport vehicle||3 years from the date of issue or renewal|
|Non-transport vehicle||Up to 50 years or 20 years from the renewal or issue date, whichever is earlier|
|Transport vehicles carrying hazardous goods||One year from the date of renewal or issue|
International Driving Permit
The Transport Commissioner, Addl. Commissioner Transport and Principal of Driving Training School, Bhubaneswar offer international driving permits which are valid for one year.
The documents required for acquiring international driving permit are listed below:
- Proof of Indian nationality
- Form 4A
- Driving Licence in India (valid)
- 3 passport-size photographs
- Medical certificate (form 1A)
- Rs.500 (fee)
Driving License and Fees
The fee structure with respect to acquiring driving license in Odisha is listed in the table below:
|Driving licence - Form 6||Rs.40||Rs.40||Rs.15|
|Renewal of learner’s licence||Rs.30||Rs.30||Rs.30|
|Driving Licence Form-7||Rs.150||Rs.150||Rs.40|
|Adding another category/class of vehicle||Rs.30||-||-|
Driving License online
Driving license can be applied online at https://sarathi.nic.in:8443/nrportal/sarathi/HomePage.jsp. The procedure for applying is listed below:
- Click on the link ‘Issue of New Driving Licence’
- Select DL radio button
- Select the State and RTO
- Enter the date of birth
- Enter current address
- Enter details of learner’s license
- Upon submission of the required information, a web application number is generated for reference
- The ‘e-payment’ option can also be exercised
- Select the bank, enter the code and pay the fee
The Odisha motor vehicle department issues the driving license in SCB card after one day of clearing the driving test. Similarly, an upgraded and renewed driving license will be issued in one day after submission of the required documents. Candidates can track the status of their driving license after entering pertinent details such as name of the RTO, first name, middle name and last name at http://oltp1.orissatransport.org/odts/DLTrack.aspx.