It is mandatory to have a driving licence in order to drive a vehicle in India under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. The Regional Transport Authority (RTO) in Manipur is obligated to enforce traffic rules and regulations, safety measures, and to issue permits, registration certificates, and licences. It is possible to apply for a driving licence in Manipur by visiting your nearest RTO or through the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways or Parivahan Sewa.
Types of Driving License in Manipur
The category of vehicle that you plan to drive will determine the kind of driving license that is issued to you by the RTO in Manipur.
These are some of the driving licences issued by the RTO in Manipur:
- Motorcycle with gear
- Motorcycle without gear
- Invalid carriage
- Light motor vehicle
- Medium passenger vehicle
- Heavy passenger vehicle
- Medium goods vehicle
- Heavy goods vehicle
- Road roller
- Motor vehicle of a specified description
Eligibility Criteria for Obtaining a Driving License in Manipur
The eligibility criteria to obtain a driving licence in Manipur is given below:
- Aged 16 years and above for licence to drive a motorcycle with maximum 50cc engine capacity
- Aged 18 years and above for licence to drive a motorcycle with gear
- Aged 20 years and above for licence to operate a heavy motor vehicle
It is also important to be aware of all the traffic rules and safety regulations.
Documents Required for Obtaining a Driving License in Manipur
These are the documents required to obtain a driving licence in Manipur:
- Application form 4
- Valid learner’s license
- Proof of age (either birth certificate, Aadhaar card, voter's ID, school certificate, PAN card, life insurance policy certificate, etc.)
- Proof of address (either birth certificate, Aadhaar card, voter's ID, school certificate, PAN card, life insurance policy certificate, etc.)
- Passport size photographs
Online Application of Driving License in Manipur
You can apply for a driving license in Manipur online by following the steps given below:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, also called Parivahan Sewa
- Step 2: Navigate to ''Driving license related services'' on the website
- Step 3: Choose Manipur as the state
- Step 4: Click on ''Apply online''
- Step 5: Select ''New driving license''
- Step 6: Select Manipur as the state
- Step 7: Click on ''Continue''
- Step 8: Fill up the application form with accurate details
- Step 9: Upload the required documents
An application number will be displayed which has to be submitted to the RTO along with the documents required and payment of fees.
A time and date for your driving test will have to be scheduled next.
Appear for the test on the designated date and time.
Offline Application of Driving Licence in Manipur
You can also apply for a driving license in Manipur the offline way by following the steps given below:
- Visit your nearest RTO
- Obtain the application form 4 or form 5 in case of commercial vehicles
- Fill up the form with accurate details
- Submit it along with the necessary documents
- Pay the application fees
- Book a date and time for your driving test at the RTO
- Appear for the driving test at the RTO on the given date and time
Application for Duplicate Driving License in Manipur
You will need to apply for a duplicate driving licence if your licence is missing or stolen or damaged beyond use. To do this, you will have to submit the documents given below:
- Application Form 9a
- Driving license details such as its date of expiry and driving licence number
- If the driving licence was stolen, an FIR copy
Renewal of Driving License in Manipur
A renewed driving licence is valid for up to five years for a non-commercial vehicle whereas for a commercial vehicle the validity of a renewed driving licence is one year. Driving licences should be renewed within 30 days from its date of expiry.
Documents required for renewal of Driving License in Manipur:
These are the documents required for renewal of driving licence in Manipur:
- Form 9 application form for renewal of driving licence
- Form 1
- Form 1A
- Proof of age
- Proof of address
- Driving license
Application for Renewal of Driving License in Manipur
The application for renewal of driving licence in Manipur can be submitted at the Parivahan Sewa website of the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways. One can fill up the details, attach the required documents, pay the required fees, and submit. After verification, the renewed driving licence will be sent to you.
You can also renew the driving licence by visiting the nearest RTO. Obtain the form from there, fill it up carefully with accurate details, attach the required documents, pay the required fees, and wait for the licence to be verified after which it will be sent to you through speed post.
International Driving License in Manipur
An international driving licence allows you to drive a vehicle in any country. It is useful for those who are relocating or are traveling abroad on leisure. It is valid for one year from the date of its issuance.
Documents required for applying for an International DL in Manipur:
The list of documents required for applying for an international driving licence in Manipur are as given below:
- Valid driving license
- Valid passport
- Valid visa
- Medical certificate
- Proof of address
- Proof of age
- Passport size photographs
Procedure for Application of International Driving Permit in Manipur:
The application for an international driving licence can be submitted through Parivahan Sewa, the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways. After filling up the required form accurately and submitting the relevant documents, an application number will be instantly generated. This will have to be submitted at the relevant RTO. Once the verification of documents is complete, the international driving permit will be issued.
This procedure can also be done online by visiting the relevant RTO, filling up the application form and submitting it along with the required document. After verification is complete, the international driving licence will be issued.
Driving License Test Procedure in Manipur
The driving licence test in Manipur is conducted by a motor vehicles inspector. You can apply for the test only after 30 days of the learner's licence being issued. The driving skills of the applicant will be tested along with their awareness of the traffic signals, rules, regulations, and safety measures.
If the test is not cleared, then you can re-appear for the test after 7 days. If even after three consecutive tests, it is still not cleared, then the test can only be taken after two months or 60 days.
Tips for Passing Your Driver's Licence Test in Manipur RTO
Follow the tips given below to help you pass your driving licence test in Manipur:
- When you enter the vehicle, make sure there are no vehicles approaching
- Adjust your seat if required
- Fasten your seatbelt
- Adjust the side and rear-view mirrors
- Release the hand brake
- Hold the leg brake down
- Ensure neutral gear before starting
- Try not to jerk the vehicle
- Switch on the correct indicator lights before making a turn
- Keep a safe distance from other vehicles during parking
- Ensure that there is no traffic approaching from any side when getting out of the vehicle
FAQs on Driving License in Manipur
After how many days of getting a learner’ licence in Manipur can one apply for a driving license?
You can apply for a driving license in Manipur after 30 days of the learner’s license getting issued.
What is the validity of a driving licence in Manipur?
In Manipur, a non-transport vehicle's driving licence has a validity of 20 years or until the licence holder is 50 years of age, whichever is earlier.
Is there a grace period for renewal of driving licence in Manipur?
Yes, there is a grace period for renewal of driving licence in Manipur and it is 30 days.
What is the validity of the international driving licence issued by Manipur RTO?
The international driving licence issued by Manipur RTO is valid for one year.