Driving licence is a legal document that is issued by the Regional Transport Office (RTO) of Bihar. Using this permit, an individual can drive a specific category of vehicle as per his/her requirement. In order to obtain a permanent driving licence in Bihar, the applicant has to successfully pass the test conducted by the RTO officials.
The licence holder is expected to carry the licence all the time and produce it whenever an official from the law enforcement agency demands it. The driving licence, which is valid all over the country, can also be used as an ID or address proof. In the state of Bihar, Motor Vehicle Department, under the Government, holds the responsibility of issuing driving licences.
Bihar Motor Vehicles Department
The Bihar Motor Vehicles Department which comprises Regional Transport Offices (RTOs) and staff across the state is headed by the Transport Commissioner. The motor vehicles department heads the following functions:
- Motor vehicles (geared and non-geared) registration
- Issuing learners’ and permanent driving licences
- Enforcing provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act
- Collecting fees, taxes or fines
- Other services such as issuing permits and vehicles fitness certificates
There is a total of 57 Regional Transport Offices (RTOs) in Bihar that have a Regional Transport Officer as the head. A few of them are Sub Regional Transport Offices that is headed by Regional Transport Officers.
Driving Permit in Bihar
The RTO of Bihar issues licences under the Motor Vehicles Act 1988, authorizing the licence holder to drive a motor vehicle in any part of India. To obtain a driving permit, the applicant should first apply for a learner's license.
For a learner’s permit, the applicant should be aged between 16-18. A written consent from parents or guardians is mandatory. On a learner’s permit, the holder can drive non geared vehicles below 50cc. Once the applicant finishes the learner’s licence period of 6 months, he can apply for permanent licence within 180 days. Eligibility criteria to be fulfilled to obtain a permanent licence are mentioned below:
- An applicant aged 18 years but less than 20 years can apply for permanent license to drive a non-transport motor vehicle.
- In case of permit to drive transport vehicles, the applicant should be 20 years of age and have an experience of driving a non-transport vehicle for at least 1 year.
First time applicants will be required to take computer-based learner’s test at the designated centers. The questions consist of aspects such as road safety, rules and regulations, signals and signs etc, to test the applicant’s knowledge.
Once the applicant has passed the test, he will be eligible to obtain a learner’s driving licence, which is valid for 6 months. The driving test for permanent permit can be taken up once month after holding the LL. The test consists of two phases. In the first phase, the applicant’s ability to control the vehicle will be checked. In the second part, his driving skills on the track will be scrutinized.
Documents Required for Applying Driving Licence in Bihar
- Form 1: This form contains self declaration of the physical condition of the applicant who is below 50 years of age and is valid for non-transport vehicles.
- Form 1A: Valid for applicants who are 50 years and above, this category requires a certificate from a registered medical practitioner along with the form Under this form, an individual can apply for driving permit for transport vehicles.
- Learner’s licence
In addition to the above, the applicant should also provide age proof, address proof, health certificates from a registered MBBs doctor.
Fees & Charges for Applying Driving Licence in Bihar
The fees charged for issuing driving licence in Bihar have been mentioned below. The charges are almost similar across all the RTOs in the state.
|Driving test (each class)||Rs.50|
|International Licence||Rs 500|
The regional transport accepts fees and charges only in cash, after which the licence will be issued.
Driving Licence Renewal Procedure in Bihar
If the license is due to expire, it is essential to apply for a renewal at 30 days before the expiry. Renewals for licenses a month after its expiry, a new driving licence card will be issued on the date of receipt of the application and payment. A fee of Rs.250 is charged by the RTO for licence renewal before 30 days from the expiry date.
Procedure for International Driving Licence in Bihar
International Driving Permit (IDP) is also issued at RTOs in Bihar to applicants who hold a valid driving licence issued in India and who plan to stay abroad for a stipulated time. For the international permit, an IDP form, that is available at the RTO, has to be duly filled. where details such as duration of stay, purpose of visit and details of the countries to be visited should be furnished at the jurisdictional RTO.
FAQs on How to Apply a Driving Licence in Bihar
- Can I check the status of the DL online?
Yes, you can check the status of the DL by visiting parivahan.gov.in.
- Is the DL that is issued in Bihar valid across the country?
Yes, the DL that is issued in Bihar is valid across the country.
- Is it mandatory to obtain a driving licence certificate?
No, it is not mandatory to obtain a driving licence certificate. However, in the case of a commercial driving licence, you must obtain a driving licence certificate.
- Should I pay a fee to undergo a driving licence test?
Yes, a fee must be paid in order to undergo the driving licence test.
- What is the fee that is levied to obtain an International DL?
A fee of Rs.1,000 is levied to obtain an International DL.