All entities that have migrated to the Goods and Services Tax (GST) from Value Added Tax (VAT), Central Excise, or Service Tax and those who have Input Tax Credit on closing stock are required to file Form TRAN-1. TRAN-1 must contain the closing stock balance that a business holds on July 1, 2017, in order to claim Input Tax Credit on the old stock. The last update received on September 10, 2018, says that there is an extension to the due date to file TRAN-1 and TRAN-2. Form TRAN-1 will have to be submitted by March 31, 2019, and Form TRAN-2 will have to be submitted by April 30, 2019.
Procedure to File Form TRAN-1 on the GST Portal
The following is a step-by-step procedure to file the form on the GST portal:
- Go to the GST portal and login using your credentials.
- Visit the ‘Services’ tab on the page, and then click on ‘Returns’, and then select ‘Transition Forms’.
- All the tiles with regard to TRAN-1 will show up on the screen. You will have to choose ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ depending upon whether or not returns were filed for the last six months.
- A list of sections will appear on your screen. 5(a), 5(b), and 5(c) contain information regarding the Input Tax Credit to be carried forward to the GST regime from the previous tax structure. The required details must be entered in their respective fields before you save it. In case there are any errors, they will show up and you will have to rectify them.
- 6(a) and 6(b) contain information regarding capital goods for which Input Tax Credit must be carried forward. You will have to enter the invoice-wise information under each tab separately. In case there are numerous entries, a JSON file can be uploaded.
- 7(a), 7(b), 7(c) and 7(d) will contain a summary of the inputs that are held in stock on July 1, 2017, and input contained in finished goods or semi-finished goods that are held in stock on July 1, 2017.
- 8 must contain a summary of Input Tax Credit that must be transferred as Central Goods and Services Tax to the current Goods and Services Tax Identification Number. The Permanent Account Number of your present Goods and Services Tax Identification Number and the Permanent Account Number specified in the old tax regime must be consistent.
- 9(a) and 9(b) must contain the information regarding the goods sent to job-employee and held in stock by the person on the principal’s behalf by the agent and principal. There are two tabs in this section. The first will contain information regarding goods sent as principal, and the second contains information regarding goods held in stock. After you have entered the details under both tabs, make sure to save it.
- 10(a) and 10(b) will contain information regarding goods that are held in stock as agent on the principal’s behalf under Section 142(14). There are two tabs in this section. The first one contains information regarding goods held in stock on the principal’s behalf, and the second contains the details of goods held in stock by agent.
- 11 will contain information regarding the tax paid under the previous tax regime and the credit allowed under the Goods and Services Tax on supplies that were taxable under the Service Tax and Value Added Tax regime and taxable in the current tax regime.
- 12 will contain information regarding goods sent on approval basis after January 1, 2017 but returned after July 1, 2017.
- After you have correctly entered the required information in the aforementioned steps, you will have to hit ‘Submit’ and the details entered will freeze and cannot be changed later.
- You will receive a warning message after which you will have to hit ‘Proceed’. The TRAN-1 status on the portal will become ‘Submitted’ from ‘Not filed’.
- You will then be required to file TRAN-1 using either Digital Signature Certificate or Electronic Verification Code.
To file TRAN-1 using Digital Signature Certificate, proceed from the warning screen and choose ‘Certificate’ and hit the ‘SIGN’ option.
To file TRAN-1 using Electronic Verification Code, enter the One-Time Password you receive on your registered mobile number and mail, and then click on the ‘Verify’ option. A message saying that the verification was successful will be sent to you and you will also receive an acknowledgment. The status of the form will change to ‘Filed’ from ‘Submitted’.