You have to report the issue to the current employer or write to the EPFO to block the previous UAN and transfer the existing balance to the active UAN. This can also be done online by visiting the OCTP portal on the EPFO's member portal.
According to the rules, every member of the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) must have only one Universal Account Number (UAN). It has become very common for individuals to have more than one UAN. In case EPFO members have more than one UAN, the old UAN must be deactivated. Employees must also transfer the Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF) amount to the member ID that is linked to the new account.
Reasons why two UANs are allotted
The UAN is a unique number that is provided to EPFO members who contribute towards the EPF scheme. In case an employee changes his/her job, the Member ID will change, but the UAN remains the same. However, there are high chances that the employee will be allotted a new UAN as well. The most common reasons why a second UAN may be allotted are mentioned below:
- The exit date is not updated by the previous employer: In case the previous employer does not mention the last working day or the exit date of the employee in the Electronic Challan and Return (ECR), a new UAN will be allotted by the new employer.
- The UAN is not disclosed by the employee: In case an employee changes his/her job, the UAN that was allotted to them must be given to the new employer. In case the employee does not disclose the UAN and EPF details, the new employer will allot another UAN. Employees tend to not disclose the old UAN in case they have some issues with their old employer or do not want the new employer to about their past employment experience.
Procedure to deactivate or merge two UAN
In case EPFO members have two UANs, they must deactivate one. The old UAN is usually deactivated and the EPF amount must be transferred to the new UAN. Given below are the different methods to deactivate a UAN:
- In case you have two UANs, the issue must be reported to the EPFO or the new employer.
- An email must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The old and the new UAN must be mentioned in the email.
- A verification will be conducted by the EPFO to resolve the issue.
- Once the verification is completed, the old UAN will be deactivated.
- A claim must be submitted now so that the EPF amount can be transferred to the new account.
The second method to deactivate one of the UANs is automatic and the process will be completed in quicker when compared to Method 1. The procedure to follow to deactivate one UAN using Method 2 is mentioned below:
- EPFO members must request for the transfer of EPF amount from the old UAN to the new one.
- The EPFO system automatically identifies the duplicate UAN when there is a request for the transfer of EPF.
- The identification of the duplicate UAN will take place in intervals.
- Once the identification is complete, the old UAN from where the funds are being transferred from will be deactivated.
- Once the UAN is automatically deactivated, the old EPF account will be linked to the new UAN.
- The EPFO member will receive an SMS that notifies the deactivation status of the old UAN.
- In case the new UAN has not been activated by the employee, he/she will receive a request to activate the new UAN.
- In case the employee has to receive any EPF arrears from his/her old employer, the new UAN will be auto-populated in the ECR. Once this is completed, the EPF arrears will be added to the EPF account that is linked with the new UAN.
- How can individuals get their Universal Account Number (UAN)?
- Which URL do members need to visit in order to login to their UAN?
- Are members provided with any facilities with the introduction of UAN?
Individuals can get their UAN from their employers. The UAN will also be mentioned on the salary slip of the employees.
Employees can login to the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) portal by using their UAN and password at https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/.
Given below is the list of facilities that are provided to members:
- Members can download their UAN Card.
- They can update their KYC details.
- Personal details can be changed.
- Individuals can download their PF passbook.
- All the previous member IDs can be viewed and merged.
- Members can check the eligibility for PF withdrawal.
Yes, members will be able to download the passbook on the EPFO portal. The PDF format of the passbook can be downloaded.
Currently, photographs cannot be added to the UAN Card.
Yes, members can change their mobile number and email ID details on the UAN portal.
Yes, KYC details can be updated on the UAN portal.
Given below is the list of documents that are considered for KYC:
- Aadhaar Card
- Account number of the bank
- Driving License
- Ration Card
- National Population Register (NPR)
- Permanent Account Number (PAN) Card
- Election Card
It is mandatory for members to update their bank account numbers and IFSC codes on the UAN portal. It is necessary to update PAN and Aadhaar details as well.
Yes, it is possible to update more than one KYC document.
Yes, in case the KYC details have been approved by the employer, the status will be shown on the KYC document page.
No, it is not necessary to get a new UAN in case individuals change their jobs. The UAN remains the same throughout the employment life of an individual.
EPF Other Pages
- EPF Form 5
- Employee Provident Fund Scheme 1952
- EPF Form 11
- PF Limit
- PF Nomination Form
- PF Statement
- EPF Form 2
- EPF Name Correction
- PF Account Number
- PF Withdrawal Forms
- SBI EPF Account
- EPF Account Withdrawal Fraud
- EPF Money after Resignation
- EPF Life Insurance
- 7 Ways to Check PF Account Balance
- EPFO into Equities