The Mumbai RPO (Regional Passport Office) was established in the year 1954 and is reported to be one of the oldest passport offices functioning in India. However, to provide enhanced services to the public and cater to the increasing workload, the MEA (Ministry of External Affairs) decided to implement a fully equipped, independent, and a modern office with all the necessary amenities. Considering this, a huge passport office was inaugurated at BKC (Bandra Kurla Complex) in Mumbai during August 2017.
Jurisdiction Of The Mumbai RPO
The Mumbai Regional Passport Office caters to the following regions:
|Mumbai suburban district||Mumbai city||Ratnagiri||Navi Mumbai|
|Dadra Nagar and Haveli||Sindhudurg||Palghar||Jalgaon|
|Union Territory of Daman||Raigad||Dhule|
Ever since the PSP (Passport Seva Project) was launched in partnership with TCS (Tata Consultancy Services) during the year 2012, applications are accepted and processed via the 5 major Passport Seva Kendras located at:
- Lower Parel
On 24 January 2017, the DOP (Department of Posts) and MEA (Ministry of External Affairs) announced their decision to use the HPOs (Head Post Office) of various states as POPSKs (Post Office Passport Seva Kendra) to deliver passport based services to the public.
The main goal of this tie-up was to cover a wider area and to extend the passport-based services on a bigger scale. As per the plan, three POPSKs are being operated successfully at Aurangabad, Silvassa, and Daman till date, all of which are under the Mumbai RPO’s jurisdiction.
Staff Strength At The Mumbai RPO, As Of October 10, 2017
|Designation||Actual Strength on 18.10.2017||Sanctioned Strength on 9.3.2017|
|Regional Passport Officer||1||1|
|Additional Passport Officer||1||1|
|Assistant Passport Officer||6||8|
|Deputy Passport Officer||3||4|
|Hindi Translator – Junior||0||2|
|Junior Passport Assistant||29||49|
|Senior Passport Assistant||16||48|
Hierarchical Structure Of The Organization
The Mumbai Passport Office has a total of 111 staffs and the hierarchy of them are as follows:
- Group A: Regional Passport Officer
- Group A: Additional Passport Officer
- Group A: Deputy Passport Officer
- Group A: Assistant Passport Officer
- Gazetted Group B: Senior Superintendent
- Gazetted: Stenographer Grade – 1
- Gazetted Group B: Superintendent
- Non-Gazetted Group B: Assistant Superintendent
- Group C: Senior Passport Assistant
- Group C: Junior Passport Assistant
- Group C: Office Assistant
Functions And Responsibilities Of The Mumbai RPO
The Mumbai RPO mainly deals with the issuance of travel documents and passports to the Indian citizens living in the 14 districts mentioned below:
- Navi Mumbai
- Daman and Dadra Nagar Haveli
Work Flow Of The Mumbai RPO
As soon as an applicant arrives at the Passport Office, he/she will be accompanied by the following steps:
- Counter A:
- A TCS (Tata Consultancy Services) staff will scrutiny the passport application.
- A TCS staff will verify the applicant’s data and passport application. If everything is okay, the staff collects the cash from the applicant and provides a receipt for it.
- Counter B:
- A Verifying Officer (an authorized Government representative) will verify the passport application to double check if all the provided documents and details are legitimate.
- Counter C:
- A Granting Officer grants and checks the passport application internally.
- A notification regarding the police verification is sent electronically to the concerned police station on a case basis.
- Main Office:
At the main passport office, once the electronic PVR (Police Verification Report) receipt is received, the process of passport printing commences. Finally, it is dispatched via speed post.
Address Of The Mumbai POPSK/PSKs
|Malad PSK (Passport Seva Kendra)||2C, Ground Floor, Raheja Tipco Plaza Rani Sati Marg, Malad (East), Mumbai – 4000097.|
|Lower Parel Passport Seva Kendra||Trade Point, Kamala Mill Compound, Pandurang Budhkar Marg, Lower Parel, Mumbai - 400013.|
|Andheri Passport Seva Kendra||The Great Oasis Enterprises Private Limited, D-13, 21,MIDC, Marol (C cross Rd), Andheri (East), Mumbai - 400069.|
|Nashik Passport Seva Kendra||Star Zone Mall, Part of Shop No: 3 and 4, Ground Floor, Nashik Road, Nashik Pune National Highway, Nashik – 422101.|
|Thane Passport Seva Kendra||Dosti Pinnacle, Unit No: G1, Road Number: 22, Wagale Industrial Estate Thane West, Thane – 400604.|
|Daman POPSK (Post Office Passport Seva Kendra)||Post office Moti Daman fort area, Opposite to DMC, Pin code -396226.|
|Silvassa POPSK||Silvassa Post office, Opposite to Bal Udyan Garden, Vapi Silvassa main Road, Silvassa – 396230.|
|Aurangabad POPSK||Post Master of General, Aurangabad region, Cantonment at Aurangabad Pin code - 431002.|
Note: The entry to these passport offices are strictly followed as per the applicant’s appointment date and the allotted time, which are booked at the official Passport Seva website.
Procedure For The Decision-Making Process
The Mumbai RPO follows guidelines that are indicated in the 2010 Passport Manual and consequent orders the Ministry issues regularly for taking a decision on the issuance of passports.
According to the Passport Act, Passport Manual, Passport Rules, and Ministry Orders, Superintendents and Regional Passport Officers are designated as PIA (Passport Issuing Authority) for issuing passports and taking actions/decisions with the help of Assistant Superintendent, JPA, and SPA.
In other administrative difficulties, a Dealing Assistant submits an applicant’s file to the Superintendent, who further submits it to a Passport Officer. But if required, the file can also be referred at the MEA and CPV (Consular, Passport, and Visa) division for the final approval.
Read More About Other Passport Related Pages
- Indian Passport
- Applying for Passport Services
- Apply for Passport Online
- Apply for Passport Offline
- PSK Passport Applications
- Passport Forms
- Fill Passport Application Form
- Track Passport Application Status
- ECR ECNR Status
- RTI and Passport
- Police Verification
- Diplomatic Passport
- Tatkal Passport
- Student Passport
- Passport Renewal
- Passport Reissue
- Duplicate Passport
- Documents Required for Indian Passport