Star Health and Allied Insurance Co Ltd started operations in the year 2006 in an effort to provide health insurance solutions at affordable rates, to all individuals. The insurer has launched a range of unique Mediclaim policies, health insurance plans, and personal accident policies.Star Health Insurance also became the first insurance company to launch a specialty policy called Star Cardiac Care for people suffering from cardiac ailments.
STAR HEALTH & ALLIED Health Insurance at a Glance
Total members covered
Coverage for a maximum of 4 family members with up to 2 adults and 2 children
Pre and Post Hospitalization cover
Medical expenses are covered for 30 days before your hospitalization and 60 days for post hospitalization for related medical expenses
Cost of Health Check-up once after a block of every four claim-free years.
Critical Factors of the Plan
No co-pay, but 20% of the claim will have to settled by the insured if he/she is between 61- 65 years of age, unless otherwise specified
Life long renewable
Plans are lifelong renewable and covers you for your entire lifetime.
Any pre-existing condition will be covered after a waiting period of 4 year
room rent Expense @2 % of sum insured,subject to a maximum of Rs. 4000/- per day
Additional Features of STAR HEALTH & ALLIED Health Insurance
No Third party Adminstrator, direct in-home claims settlement
Network of more than 8200+ hospitals across India.
Bonus calculated starts at 5% of the basic sum insured for every claim-free year subject to a maximum of 100% is allowable.In the event of the claim the bonus will reduced by 5%.
Star Health Insurance Highlights Updated on 27 Oct 2018
|Waiting Period for Pre-existing Disease||4 years|
|Incurred Claims Ratio||60.51%|
|Number of Policies Issued||2579591|
*For Year 2016-2017
Overview of Star Health and Allied Insurance Co Ltd:
Star Health and Allied Insurance Co Ltd launched health, overseas Mediclaim, and personal accident insurance plans, since their inception in 2006. The insurance company uses its resources to provide excellent services and customised products to meet the varying needs of their customers. Star Health and Allied Insurance has a capital base of Rs.1,050 crore, and is one of the largest private health insurance providers in India.
With a presence across the country, their products service a wide range of individuals through their 8,200+ network hospitals. The company offers a wide array of health insurance policies products at reasonable prices to make health insurance affordable for all. Star Health and Allied Insurance is focused on making health insurance coverage available to all segments of the population.
Star Health and Allied Insurance Benefits:
Star Health and Allied Insurance offers health insurance policies for individuals, families, and senior citizens. The insurer also offers accident care and critical illness policies. Listed below are the benefits of Star Health Insurance plans.
*Note: Benefits mentioned below might vary from plan to plan, and are subject to the insurer’s terms and conditions.
Benefits of individual health insurance plans offered by Star Health and Allied Insurance:
- Individuals aged 18 to 65 years are eligible for the plan.
- There is no sub-limit on room rent and treatment costs.
- Insurance cover includes hospital cash benefits and free health check-up facility after the completion of a certain number of consecutive, claim-free years.
- Insurance policies from Star Health cover several day-care procedures.
Benefits of family health insurance plans offered by Star Health and Allied Insurance:
- Affordable health insurance cover is available on a floater basis.
- For a claim-free renewal, you can get up to 100% increase in sum insured.
- No sub-limit on room rent and treatment costs.
- Your policy will cover dental and ophthalmic treatments on Out-Patient Department (OPD) basis.
- Insurance benefits include air ambulance facility and second medical opinion.
Benefits of senior citizen health insurance plans offered by Star Health and Allied Insurance:
- Senior citizens aged 60 to 75 years can apply for the plan.
- No-pre insurance medical test is required.
- Insurance covers pre-existing diseases from 2nd year onwards.
- Policy comes with a guaranteed lifetime renewability option.
- Medical consultations can be availed as an outpatient in a network hospital.
Benefits of accident care individual health insurance plans offered by Star Health and Allied Insurance:
- Insurance cover for accidental death, permanent disability, and temporary disablement.
- Get enhanced weekly compensation up to Rs.15,000 per week for up to 100 weeks.
- Get educational grant for dependent children.
- Get 5% cumulative bonus per annum up to a maximum of 50%.
- Get up to 150% of the sum insured as compensation for permanent total disablement.
With accident care insurance from Star Health Insurance, you can be prepared for the worst.
Protecting Health, Protecting Wealth:
Star Health and Allied Insurance has an impressive number of differentiated policies to safeguard a person's financial position in the event of medical adversity. The company recognises the economic fallouts of rising medical costs and has accordingly devised products through which customers can avail adequate and cost-efficient medical treatment.
Each of these plans serves to meet varied medical costs in unique ways. They boast of advantages such as quick, easy and direct settling of claims (i.e. no third party involvement), cashless facilities and free telephonic medical advice at any time
The following features/terms are common to all plans on offer:
- In-patient hospitalization/treatment which includes hospital expenses*, provided one has been hospitalised for a minimum of 24 hours.
- Pre-hospitalization Expenses: Generally up to 30 days.
- Post-hospitalization Expenses: Generally up to 60 days; usually met through a lump sum payment @7% of the expenses or Rs.5,000, whichever is less.
- Pre-existing diseases are included subject to prior coverage by a domestic insurer; usually for the four years preceding policy inception (2 or 3 years where specified).
- Floater Basis: Family includes the primary policyholder, husband/wife and children who are dependent on the parent (generally subject to an age cap of 25 years); Sum assured is equally apportioned among insured members.
- Individual Basis: The sum insured under the policy is made available on a per person basis.
- Reinstatement of sum assured: Normally allowed after a specified number of claim-free years
*(Room, Nursing, Boarding, Surgery, Anaesthetist, Medical Practitioner, Consultation, Specialists, Oxygen, OT charges, X-ray, Dialysis, Chemotherapy, Diagnostic Materials, Blood, Medicine, Drugs etc. depending on the plan chosen. This is not a restrictive list)
Types of Health Insurance Policies Provided by Star Health Insurance:
Policies forming a part of the company’s health insurance plans portfolio are listed below:
- Star Comprehensive Insurance Policy
- Star Medi Classic Insurance Policy
- Star Family Health Optima Insurance Plan
- Star Senior Citizens Red Carpet Health Insurance Policy
- Star Super Surplus
- Star Super Surplus Gold Plan
- Star Health Gain
- Star Criticare Plus
- Star Cardiac Care
- Star Unique Health Insurance Policy
- Star Wedding Gift Insurance
- Star Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy
- Star Family Delite Insurance Policy
- Star Health Insurance Netplus
- Star Micro Health Insurance Policy
- Star Care Insurance Policy
- Star Health Accident Care Insurance Policy
- Star Health Student Care Plan
- Star Cancer Care Gold
The eligibility, coverage basis, costs and other benefits relating to each plan are outlined below:
Star Comprehensive Insurance Policy:
A Star comprehensive insurance policyis an insurance plan that provides an exhaustive coverage to inpatient as well as certain outpatient treatments. It also considers the healthcare needs of new/expectant mothers.
|Basis||Individual and Family Floater|
|Sum Assured||Rs.5 lakhs to Rs.25 lakhs; chosen amount can be increased on renewal|
|Premium Charges||Starts from Rs.7,015 Actual premium varies based on sum insured, age, and family size|
|Reinstatement of sum assured||Up to 100%|
|Bonus||Cumulative bonus at the rate of 50% of the sum insured amount is offered for every claim-free year|
*This is not an exhaustive list
Star Medi Classic Insurance Policy (Individual):
The Star medi classic insurance policy is a comprehensive health insurance plan that provides a cover against a range of medical expenses. The policy also covers non-allopathic treatments. Further, with this policy, the insured individual can also purchase add-ons plans that will provide him/her a more enhanced level of protection.
|Entry Age||5 months to 65 years; only renewals allowed after 65 years Family plan- 5 months to 45 years|
|Medical Screening||Required for customers above 50 years at authorised centres|
|Co-payment||10% of all claims for insured members above 60 years|
|Policy Period||1 year or 2 years|
|Discounts||5% discount can be availed upon paying premiums in advance for 2 full policy years|
|Sum Insured||Individuals: Rs.1.5 lakhs to Rs.15 lakhs;Family Package Plan: Rs.2lakhs or 3 lakhs|
|Annual Premium Charges Individuals Family Package Plan||
Individual Plan: Rs.2,510 to Rs.88,170, varies based on the sum insured, age, and zone
Family Plan: Rs.4,460 to Rs.7,805, varies based on the sum insured, age, and family size i.e. 2 adults or 2 adults with 1 child or 2 adults with 2 children
|Two-Year Premium Charges: Individuals Family Package Plan||
Individual Plan: Rs.4,769 to Rs.1,67,523, varies based on the sum insured, age, and zone
Family Plan: Rs.8,474 to Rs.14,83, varies based on the sum insured, age, and family size
|Reinstatement of sum assured||Automatic restoration of the sum insured, up to 200%|
|Bonus||5% - 25% of basic sum assured for every year following one in which no claim is made|
|Covers||Non-allopathic treatment, Pre-existing diseases, Pre and Post- hospitalization expenses, Day-care treatment, Health-Check Expenses|
|Optional Covers||Hospital Cash: Extra premium Rs.350 (annual); Rs.665 (two-year); Patient Care: Extra premium Rs.580 (annual); Rs.1,102 (two-year); New-Born Baby Cover (only under Family Package Plan): Extra premium = 10% of the premium applicable in the year of birth|
Star Family Health Optima:
A Star family health optima Insurance Plan provides coverage against healthcare-related expenses to the entire family, at an affordable premium rate. Some of the key features of the Family Health Optima Plan are mentioned in the table below.
Adults: 18 years to 65 years
Children over 16th day can be included in the cover
Only renewals allowed after 65 years
|Sum assured||Rs.1 lakh to Rs.25 lakh|
|Premiums charged||Rs.3,890 to Rs.34,700;Depends on sum assured, age, family size and zone; based on age of oldest insured member|
|Bonus||Bonus of 25% can be availed on the sum insured amount for the first claim-free year, and 10% for every subsequent claim-free year|
|Reinstatement of sum assured||Up to 100% reinstatement|
|Co-payment||20% of all claims for insured members over 61 years of age|
Star Senior Citizens Red Carpet Health Insurance Policy:
Senior citizens are an oft-ignored segment of the health insurance industry given their limited incomes and high susceptibility to age-related illnesses. Star Health has addressed this group's protection needs through this Star senior citizen's red carpet plan which provides affordable and adequate coverage along with attractive features.
|Entry Age||60 to 75 years|
|Renewals||Guaranteed after 75 years|
|Sum assured||Rs.1 lakh to Rs.10 lakhs|
|Premium charges||Rs.4,450 to Rs.26,550|
|Discount||5% discount upon purchasing policies online|
|Medical screening||Not required.|
|Treatment||Provided at any network hospital|
|Co-payment||50% for pre-existing disease claims; 30% for other claims|
Star Super Surplus Insurance Policy:
Star super surplus Provides greater protection than that offered by the average run-of-the-mill plans. It can be availed by individuals for themselves or on a floater basis to include their families as well.
|Entry Age||3 months to 65 years; only renewals beyond 65 years|
|Basis||Individual or Floater|
|Sum assured||Individual- Rs.7 lakh/ 10 lakh Family Floater- Rs.10 lakh|
Premiums will vary on the basis of the plan type, sum insured, age at entry, and other factors
Star Super Surplus ‘Gold’ Plan:
A Star super surplus gold plan which caters to any unforeseen event, offering enhanced protection to policyholders. Designed primarily to offer enhanced protection, this is ideal for individuals who wish to avail the best in health insurance. Provisions of air-ambulance, absence of room rent cap, lifelong renewal and affordable premiums have made the Gold Plan a perfect ally for people accustomed to a certain way of life.
|Entry age||Minimum – 18 years Maximum – 65 years Children can avail protection under this plan, subject to the parent being a policyholder. Children aged between 3 months and 25 years can be protected under this policy|
|Basis||Individual or Floater|
|Sum assured||Minimum – Rs 5 lakhs (Floater and Individual) Maximum – Rs 25 lakhs (Floater and Individual) Maximum- Rs.10 lakhs (Individual)|
|Premium charged||Ranges between Rs 1,950 and Rs 36,360, depending on the entry age and sum assured|
|Co-payment||10% of claim amount for policyholder with entry age over 60 years|
|Covers||Hospitalisation charges (including room and nursing fees), air ambulance cover, surgeon/consultant fees, medicine costs, operation theatre expenses, second opinion costs, etc.|
Star Health Gain:
The Health Gain Insurance Policy from Star Health is a unique insurance policy that provides a cover against both inpatient and outpatient expenses. The policy can be purchased on an individual basis or for an entire family as a family floater plan.
|Entry Age||5 months to 65 years|
|Basis||Individual or Floater|
|Sum Insured||Rs.1 lakh – Rs.5 lakh|
|Premium charged||Starting from Rs.15,000 (excluding GST)|
|Discount||Maximum 10% no-claim bonus upon renewal.|
Star Criticare Plus Insurance Policy:
The Star criticare plus Insurance Policy specifically provides a cover for up to 9 critical illnesses. Thus, with this policy, if the insured individual happens to be diagnosed with a critical illness, he/she will receive a lump sum payout, from the insurer.
|Entry Age||18 to 65 years, only renewals beyond 65 years|
|Sum assured||Rs.2 lakhs to Rs.10 lakhs|
|Premiums charged||Rs.3,750 to Rs.35,350 (excluding tax)|
|Discounts:||5% for 2 members and below; 10% above 2 members|
|Medical screening||Required for persons above 50 years at authorised centres|
|Co-payment||30% of claims for insured parties above 60 years; applicable to sub-limits|
Star Cardiac Care Insurance Plan:
Going to the heart of it's customer-base, this Star cardiac care plan is geared towards compensating insured parties for expenses incurred on cardiac ailments in addition to comprehensive health benefits. The policy is available in two variants – the Silver Plan and the Gold Plan.
|Entry Age||10 to 65 years; for those who have been Stenting or Bypass patients in the 7 years preceding policy inception.|
|Sum assured||Rs.3 or 4 lakhs|
|Medical screening||Required for all entrants|
|Co-payment||10% of claims for insured parties above 60 years.of age|
The Star Unique Health Insurance Policy provides a cover for both pre-existing diseases and any ailments/illnesses that might occur in the future. Policy buyers also do not have to undergo a pre-policy medical screening in order to purchase this plan. The main benefits and features of the policy are listed below.
|Entry Age||18 to 65 years; only renewals allowed beyond 65 years|
|Policy period||2 years; sum assured and the sub-limits are per policy year|
|Sum assured||Rs.1 lakh to Rs.3 lakhs|
|Sub-limits||Rs.50,000 to Rs.1.5 lakhs|
|Premiums charged||Rs.4,900 to Rs.26,450|
|Premium payment||2 installments; one at inception and then at start of 2nd policy year|
|Medical screening||Not required|
Star Wedding Gift Insurance:
A Star wedding gift insurance provides a wide coverage to insured individual by covering their regular hospitalisation expenses, providing a pre- and post-natal cover, and also providing a risk cover to the newborn.
|Entry age (for couples)||18 to 40 years; renewable till 45 years; followed by optional policy migration|
|Policy period||1 or 2 years.|
|Medical screening||Not required.|
Star Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy:
The Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy from Star Health is a unique insurance policy that provides a cover against both Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes. The policy can be purchased as individual or floater policy. Outpatient expenses such as medical consultation, medicines, and diagnostic tests are covered. Compensation for accidental death of insured member given. Donor expenses for kidney transplant are also covered. Dialysis expenses of Rs.1,000 per sitting covered up to 2 years. Over 400 day-care procedures covered and automatic restoration of entire sum insured.
|Entry age||18 to 65 years|
|Basis||Individual or Floater|
|Reinstatement of sum assured||Up to 100% (on individual basis)|
Star Family Delite Insurance Policy:
The Family Delite Insurance Policy from Star Health is an affordable health insurance policy that is especially catered towards families. By way of this policy, insured members will receive a cover against in-patient, pre-hospitalisation, post-hospitalisation, and specified day-care procedure expenses.
|Entry age||5 months to 65 years, only renewals allowed beyond 65 years|
|Sum assured||Rs. 2 or 3 lakhs|
|Premium charged||Premiums start from Rs.2,800
Actual premium rate will vary on the basis of the sum insured, number of family members enrolled, age of the oldest family member, etc.
|Medical screening||Required for entrants above 50 years at authorised centres|
Star Health Insurance Netplus:
In a move towards inclusion, the company has introduced Star health insurance netplus policy to extend the benefits of insurance to ostracized members of society. While most policies exclude HIV positive persons, this plan is especially catered towards individuals diagnosed with HIV.
Star Micro Health Insurance Policy:
The Star micro health insurance policy offered Star Health Insurance offers a cover against hospital expenses at an affordable price. This policy is available for purchase in both Tier 1 and Tier 2 cities, in India. The features of this policy are listed in the table below.
18 years - 70 years
The cover can be extended to dependent children over 5 months
Rs.5 lakh, Rs.10 lakh, Rs.15 lakh
Premiums start from Rs.254
1, 2, or 3 years
Star Care Insurance Policy:
The Star Care is a health insurance policy that can be taken as an individual plan or as a family floater plan. The Star care insurance policy helps provide a cover against hospitalisation expenses that one might have to incur in the event of an accident. The policy also covers accidental death, thereby helping you safeguard your dependents financially.
18 years - 65 years
The cover can be extended to children over 2 years
Premiums start from Rs.905
Premiums will vary on the basis of the insurer’s age, sum insured, etc.
Pre-policy medical screening is not required
Star Health Student Care Plan:
The Student Care Plan from Star Health Insurance is especially catered towards college and school students, and provides a cover against accidental death, permanent total disability caused as a result of an accident, medical expenses due to injuries sustained in an accident, etc. Some of the main features of this plan are listed in the table below.
Star Cancer Care Gold:
The Cancer Care Gold from Star Health Insurance is the first insurance plan that is especially designed for individuals who have already been diagnosed with either Stage 1 or Stage 2 Cancer. This policy has been launched by the insurer on a pilot basis for a period of 5 years, as of now. The policy covers recurrence of cancer, spread of the disease, and second cancer, which is unrelated to the first cancer, etc. Certain features of the plan are listed in the table below.
Age at Entry
5 months - 65 years
Pre-policy medical screening is not required
Rs.3 lakh and Rs.5 lakh
10% co-pay for policyholders over the age of 60 years
Star Health Accident Care Insurance Policy:
It’s important to stay covered under an insurance policy in case something untoward happens that could leave you in a financially unstable position. Even if an event occurs that happens to render you incapable of earning an income, you need to ensure that your family doesn’t have to suffer financially. The Star Health Accident Care Insurance Policy health insurance product provides you the peace of mind of knowing that even if you meet with an accident, the expenses for your hospitalization and treatment will be taken care of. In addition, if the accident leaves you disabled and unable to earn an income, the plan will also pay out a sum of money to your dependants and spouse to tide over tough times.
Features of Accident Care Insurance Plan:
- Minimum entry age is 18 years and maximum is 70 years.
- Dependent children can be brought under insurance cover from the age of 5 months.
- Policy pays hospital cash benefits.
- Medical expenditure is taken care of to a large degree.
- One of the few polices that provides coverage for accidents that occur while playing winter sports.
- Educational grant provided for minor children.
- Travel expenses will be covered if required for one spouse.
- Insured amount will be calculated based on the income of the policyholder.
- Policy tenure can be of one, two, or even three years.
- Policy has lifetime renewability.
The following terms and conditions are applicable to all the plans:
|Renewal||No age limit; Grace period of 30 days from expiry; Increase in sum assured allowed upon renewal; Renewal premium can vary|
|Cancellation||Allowed at any time during policy period; Premiums refunded as per company rates|
|Termination||Upon death of insured, When entire cover is claimed|
Why should you buy Star Health and Allied Insurance policies?
There are several health insurance providers in India. It can be difficult to choose the right health insurance provider. Here is a list of highlights of Star Health and Allied Insurance Co Ltd to help you understand why this insurance company is one of the top insurers in the country:
- It is India’s first stand-alone health insurance company in Pan India.
- From family floater schemes to senior citizen health insurance plans, the company offers a wide range of health insurance products.
- The company has more than 340 branch offices. It offers cashless hospitalisation and reimbursement facility across 8200 plus hospitals in India.
- In FY2016-17, 3,78,710 claims were settled, Rs.1,378.13 crore was settled in claims, and 87% of the cashless claims was settled in less than 2 hours.
- Customers can access information on products and services offered by Star Health Insurance through the company website, Interactive Voice Response System, etc.
- Policyholders will receive renewal notice 15 days before the expiry date of the policy from the insurance company.
- The insurer will confirm underwriting decision within 7 days from the receipt of medical reports if a pre-medical examination is required.
- Hassle-free and speedy direct claim settlement process without the intervention of a Third-Party Administrator.
- In the case of cashless facility, the company will give pre-authorisation within 4 hours from the receipt of the request.
- Reimbursement claims will be decided on within 30 days of receipt of complete claim documents.
- Claim status can be known within 3 days of receipt of documents.
- All grievances will be acknowledged within 3 days of receipt. Grievances will be resolved within 15 days of receipt.
List of awards won by Star Health and Allied Insurance:
- Start Health won ‘Best Health Insurance Company of the Year 2017’ by CMO Asia.
- Star Health and Allied Insurance won the ‘W.H.O Award of Excellence, 2017’ award.
- It won the ‘Best Health Insurance Provider of the Year’ at the Business Today, Money Today Financial Awards 2016-2017.
- Star Health and Allied Insurance beat 28 general insurance companies at the Indian Insurance Award and won the ‘Claims Service Company Of The Year, 2014’.
- Star Health Insurance was rated the ‘Best Claim Settlement Insurer’ in Hindustan MaRS Survey.
Star Health and Allied Insurance Co Ltd has no Third-Party Administrator (TPA), The insurer instead it deals with direct in-house claim settlement. With the advent of technology, the company has a facility to maintain personal health records in electronic format.
Star Health and Allied Insurance Online Renewal:
Star Health and Allied Insurance offers many policies with a lifetime renewability option. Here is a step-by-step guide to renew your Star Health Insurance policy online:
- Visit the insurer's website for instant renewal.
- Click on the Renewal button.
- Fill in the online form with details about your policy such as the policy number, your mobile number, email ID, and date of birth. Click on Proceed.
- Fill in your address and click on proceed.
- Post keying-in all the mandatory information, renewal details such as gross premium and service tax will be displayed.
- You can click on Renewal Notice and a new window will open with the notice.
- After reading the notice, click on Purchase Policy.
- Register with your name, phone, email and password to pay the premium using net banking, debit card or credit card.
It is important to check the terms and conditions of renewability before buying a health insurance policy.
Star Health and Allied Insurance Customer Care:
Star Health and Allied Insurance has a dedicated claims helpdesk to resolve the claim-related queries of its customers. The claims helpdesk number and contact person for each location can be found on the insurance company's website. The grievances will be acknowledged within hours of registration of complaint.
- Address: The Manager - Customer Care, Star Health & Allied Insurance Co. Ltd, No.1, New Tank Street, Valluvarkottam High Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai - 600 034
- The insurer also has a dedicated email ID and toll-free numbers
Your queries can be submitted online through the insurer’s website. As one of the largest health insurance companies in India, Star Health and Allied Insurance takes special care in redressing the grievances of its customers.
Know More About: Star Health and Allied Insurance Customer Care Number
Star Health and Allied Insurance Products:
From individual and family health insurance plans to senior citizen and top-up plan, Star Health and Allied Insurance offers a wide range of health insurance plans to meet the varying needs of the customers. Here is a list of health insurance products offered by Star Health Insurance:
- Family Health Optima Insurance Plan: With this family health insurance plan, you can get a wider insurance coverage for the entire family at an affordable premium. For every claim-free year, you can get a free health checkup. New-born baby cover is available from the 16th day onwards. This policy comes with a grace period of 120 days. Insurance coverage is available for all day-care procedures. For sum insured of Rs.3 lakh and above, automatic restoration of the basic sum insured is available 3 times at 100% each time during the policy term.
- Senior Citizens Red Carpet Health Insurance Policy: Senior citizens aged 60 to 75 years can apply for this policy. No pre-insurance medical test is required for applying. Pre-existing diseases are covered from the 2nd year onwards. This policy comes with a guaranteed lifetime renewal option and high sum insured coverage of up to Rs.10 lakh. Medical consultations can be availed as an outpatient at a network hospital.
- Star Comprehensive Insurance Policy: This policy covers medical expenses incurred on bariatric surgical procedures. Policy benefits include air ambulance assistance and second medical opinion. The cost of health checkup for every 3 claim-free years is covered under this policy. Get hospital cash benefit, automatic restoration of sum insured by 100%, maternity coverage, and personal accident cover against death and permanent total disablement. The policy covers dental and ophthalmic treatments on OPD basis. There is no sub-limit for room rent and treatment cost. The policy covers over 400 day-care procedures.
- Medi-classic Insurance Policy (Individual): Get a No-Claim Bonus of 5-25% for every claim-free year, free health checkup up to Rs.5,000 for every 4 claim-free years, automatic restoration of sum insured by 200%, and coverage for 101 day-care procedures. Hospital cash benefit and patient care cover are optional covers with this individual health insurance policy.
- Star Health Gain Insurance Policy: This policy covers individuals and families. Get insurance coverage for inpatient and outpatient treatments, a No-Claim Bonus of up to 10% upon renewal, and fixed premium across all age groups and sum insured ranges. Unutilised outpatient benefit can be carried forward to the next year after policy renewal.
- Super Surplus Insurance Policy: This is a top-up policy offering a high sum insured at an affordable premium. Pre-existing diseases cover begins after a 3-year waiting period. No pre-acceptance medical screening is required. This policy can be purchased as an individual or floater policy.
- Star Unique Health Insurance Policy: This policy comes with unique policy benefits such as pre-existing diseases covered after a 11-month waiting period, hospitalisation cover includes ambulance charges and pre-hospitalisation expenses up to 30 days prior to admission, pre-hospitalisation paid as a lump sum amount, and no pre-acceptance medical test required. The policy term is 2 years and the premium can be paid in 2 instalments.
- Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy: Hospitalisation cover includes complications of type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Policy can be purchased as individual or floater policy. Outpatient expenses such as medical consultation, medicines, and diagnostic tests are covered. Compensation for accidental death of insured member given. Donor expenses for kidney transplant covered. Dialysis expenses of Rs.1,000 per sitting covered up to 2 years. Over 400 day-care procedures covered and automatic restoration of entire sum insured.
- Star Cardiac Care Insurance Policy: This policy is for individuals who have undergone surgery, correction or intervention for existing cardiac diseases. Outpatient benefit and personal accident death cover available. This policy is available in gold and silver plan options. Silver plan covers expenses incurred for inpatient treatment with respect to all cardiac-related complications that requires surgery or intervention while gold plan covers expenses incurred for inpatient treatment with respect to all cardiac-related complications that requires medical management and surgery or intervention. Over 405 day-care procedures covered and no pre-acceptance medical test required.
- Star Wedding Gift Insurance: This policy covers regular hospitalisation, delivery, and newborn baby expenses. You can also get cover for non-allopathic treatment up to a specified limit. Policy term is for 1 or 2 years. No pre-acceptance medical test is required.
- Star Micro Health Insurance: This policy offers healthcare protection at an affordable cost. Get hospitalisation cover up to a specified limit which includes ambulance charges.
- Star Net Plus: This is a special policy offered by Star Health and Allied Insurance for those who need it the most. It is the first policy in India to cover HIV positive individuals.
- Star Care Insurance Policy: This policy is available on individual and floater basis in Tier I and Tier II places. Pre-hospitalisation and post-hospitalisation expenses covered under this policy. Hospital cash benefit available if treatment is sought at a government hospital.
- Star Criticare Plus Insurance Policy: This policy offers insurance cover for 9 specified critical illnesses. There is no restriction of the survival period. It also covers regular hospitalisation and non-allopathic treatment up to specified limit. The cover will continue till the expiry of the policy for regular hospitalisation even after payment of lump sum amount.
- Star Family Delite Insurance Policy: This is an affordable health insurance policy for families. Get insurance cover for pre-hospitalisation, post-hospitalisation, and specified day-care procedure expenses.
Star Health and Allied Insurance Mediclaim Premium Calculator:
The online premium calculator available on the insurer’s website makes it easy for insurance premium calculation of your chosen health insurance policy. Visit the official website of Star Health Insurance and click on the chosen plan. For instance, if you have chosen a Family Insurance Plan, enter how many adults and children you want to insure under the scheme, enter the sum insured amount, the date of birth of the eldest member of your family, pincode, etc. Once you have keyed-in all the necessary information, you will get an instant quote of the insurance premium for the chosen policy.
Star Health and Allied Insurance for Government Employees:
The Tamil Nadu State Government had launched a new health insurance scheme with a tie-up with Star Health and Allied Insurance Company for government employees and their families in 2008. The premium for the health cover was paid by the employees and in part by the government. The policyholder could avail up to Rs.2 lakh towards medical expenses for 4 years for an annual premium of Rs.495. The state government employee had to pay Rs.300 while the government paid the rest. A sum of Rs.25 was deducted from the monthly salary of the employee enrolled under the scheme. The beneficiaries of the scheme could avail medical services in 52 hospitals across the state.
Star Health and Allied Insurance Health Checkup:
Star Health Insurance covers health checkup for every 1-3 claim-free years under the Family Health Optima Insurance Plan, Star Comprehensive Insurance policy, and Medi-classic Insurance Policy. Regular Health checkup can help identify an illness or prevent the onset of one. Health checkup can be expensive, which is why, an insurance policy that covers your health check-up costs can be beneficial.
Star Health and Allied Insurance Policy Document:
It is important to go through the policy document for inclusions and exclusions when buying an insurance plan so as to avoid any hassle when making a claim. Star Health and Allied Insurance application form, policy document, brochures, pre-authorisation form, and KYC form are available on the insurer’s website. You can download the forms, fill it, and submit it at the nearest Star Health Insurance branch office.
Star Health and Allied Insurance Login:
To log into the Star Health Insurance website, you have to register with your name, phone, email, and password. You can login with your registered email ID and password. By logging into the website, you can carry out the following:
- Star Health and Allied Insurance mediclaim online payment
- View your policy renewal notice
- Make Star Health and Allied Insurance renewal payment
Star Health and Allied Insurance Customer ID:
A new health insurance scheme was launched by the Tamil Nadu state government in partnership with the stand-alone health insurance company, Star Health and Allied Insurance to provide health cover for government employees. The insurance company issued identity cards to the employees and the beneficiaries covered under the new health insurance scheme through the respective pay drawing officers within a period of 60 days from the date of commencement of the scheme.
Star Health and Allied Insurance Network Hospitals:
Star Health and Allied Insurance has tie-ups with over 8,200 hospitals across the country where policyholders with a Star Health Insurance policy can avail cashless hospitalisation as well as reimbursement facility. It is one of the largest base of network hospitals in India. The insurer also offers a hassle-free claim settlement process without the intervention of a Third-Party Administrator (TPA).
To locate a network hospital near your home, select your state and city from the drop-down box on the online Network Hospital Locator. You will get a list of network hospitals with contact details instantly. Star Health also has tie-ups with Agreed Network Hospitals where the insured members can avail cashless transactions and get package rates for identified procedures.
Also Read: How to File a Claim with SBI Health?
How to File a Claim with Star Health?
Cashless Claim: Visit a network hospital of the insurer to avail cashless treatment. Intimate the insurer within 24 hours of unplanned hospitalisation and 48 hours prior to your planned hospitalisation by calling the toll-free number of Star Health Insurance.
- Display your Star Health ID at the network hospital help desk. The hospital will verify your identity details and submit a duly-filled and signed pre-authorisation request form to the insurance company.
- Star Health will appoint a doctor to verify the pre-authorisation request and send an approval letter to the hospital.
- The hospital will proceed with the cashless treatment for the insured member.
- If the cashless claim is denied, the insured member can get treated and file for a reimbursement claim after discharge.
Reimbursement Claim: A field doctor will be assigned by Star Health to make hospitalisation easier for the insured. All claim intimations have to be made within 24 hours of hospitalisation. Reimbursement facility can be availed at network as well as non-network hospitals.
- Settle all the hospital bills at the time of discharge and collect all the original documents such as discharge summary, prescription, medical bills, hospital bills, pharmacy bills, etc.
- Submit a reimbursement claim form along with the original medical documents at the nearest Star Health branch office within 30 days of discharge.
- Upon successful verification and approval, the claim amount will be sent to the insured.
Also Read: Best Health Insurance Plans of 2017
Star Health Insurance FAQ:
- Why do I need health insurance?
Health Insurance helps you to take care of you and your family’s future by paying off your medical expenses. It helps you to save money.
- What is cashless hospitalization? Does Star Health Insurance Company provide it?
Cashless hospitalization enables you to save on out-of-pocket expenses. This is a facility offered to you by your insurance provider wherein your health insurance provider will pay off your hospitalization bills. Star Health Insurance Company does provide cashless hospitalization, at network hospitals across the country.
- Can I renew my Start Health Insurance policy? If yes, how?
Yes, you can renew your Star Health Insurance policy. For that, the company will send you renewal notice which will contain the expiry date of your present policy.
- What is a health card?
A health card is like an identity card which comes with your health insurance policy. This card enables you to enjoy cashless hospitalization facility at Star Health Insurance company’s network hospitals. You need to show your health card at the time of admission into a network hospital to enjoy all the benefits.
- What is the maximum number of claims that I can make in one year?
You can make any number of claims during the tenure of your policy. But the maximum amount of claim you can make is the sum insured in the policy.
- What is a family floater plan?
It is a plan that will help you extend the health insurance cover to all your dependents with a single sum insured that can be utilised by all members enrolled under the policy.
- Will a Star Health Insurance policy help me to get exemption from Income Tax?
Yes, you can get exemption from income tax up to Rs.15,000 under section 80D of the Income Tax Act.
- Are Star Health Insurance policies accepted across the country?
Yes, Star Health Insurance policies are accepted across the country. If you stay at Bangalore and your family stays at Mumbai, you can cover all of them under the same policy.
- Do I need a medical checkup before buying a Star health insurance policy?
If your age is above 50 years and you want to buy a Star health insurance policy, then you need to go through medical checkup. However, medical checkup is not required for the senior citizen policies.
- Does Star Health Insurance cover medical cost spent in outpatient treatment?
Generally health insurance companies cover the cost of inpatient treatments. However, Star Health Insurance Company provides plans that do cover the cost incurred for outpatient treatments under specific terms and conditions.
- 11.Does Start Health Insurance take care of my existing diseases?
Yes, Star Health Insurance takes care of your pre-existing diseases as well. However, you can get it covered after 48 months of continuous renewal with Star Health Insurance.
- Can I get reimbursement if I avail treatment at non – network hospitals?
If you take treatment at non-network hospitals, Star Health Insurance will reimburse you the amount of bills which is subject to the policy undertaken. But, cashless hospitalization is available only if you take treatment at the network hospitals of Star Health Insurance.
- Can I avail tax benefits from the health insurance scheme?
Under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, 1961, the policyholder can get tax deductions for premium paid towards a health insurance policy.
Description Self, spouse, and dependent children Parents Total deduction under Section 80D Assessee and his or her family is below 60 years of age Rs.25,000 Rs.25,000 Rs.50,000 Assessee and his or her family is less than 60 years of age and parents are above 60 years old Rs.25,000 Rs.30,000 Rs.55,000 Assessee and his or her parents are 60 years and above Rs.30,000 Rs.30,000 Rs.60,000
- Is a medical checkup mandatory before buying a health policy?
For individuals above 50 years old, a medical checkup is necessary when buying a new health insurance policy. Medical checkup is not necessary for senior citizen health insurance policy offered to individuals between 60 to 69 years of age.
- Why is it mandatory to have health insurance?
With the steady rise in healthcare costs and lifestyle diseases, it is crucial to have a health insurance plan that will cover you and your family in your hour of need. Having a suitable health cover will ensure you get timely and adequate healthcare, without any financial hassles.
- How does cashless facility work?
Insured members will be given an identity card. When availing cashless facility, the policyholder must obtain a pre-authorisation letter from the hospital and intimate Star Health Insurance. The pre-authorisation form has to be submitted to Star Health Insurance by the hospital. Depending on the details furnished, the insurer will process the cashless request.
- Can I take health insurance for my 3 year old child?
Children are not covered under individual policies but can be covered with a parent, as per the terms and conditions of the policy.
- I’m a foreigner and I live in India, can I avail health cover from Star Health and Allied Insurance?
Yes, you can avail health cover from Star Health and Allied Insurance. However, the insurance coverage will be restricted to the treatment received in hospitals in India during the policy term.
- How to check Star Health and Allied Insurance claim status?
Visit Star Health and Allied Insurance’ website, enter the claim intimation number and ID number. Choose the network hospital or agreed network hospital where you received treatment from the drop-down list. Click on ‘Submit’ to view your claim status.
- How to get Star Health Insurance agency?
The list of Star Health insurance branch offices in your location and across the country is available on the insurer’s website along with a list of the Star Health Insurance agents and their contact numbers.
- How to apply for a Star Health Insurance policy?
Visit the insurer’s website, choose a suitable policy, and get an instant quote on the chosen policy using the online premium calculator. Go through the policy brochure, download the application form, fill it up, and submit it online or at a nearest Star Health branch office. Insurance premium payment can be made online if you are buying the policy through the insurer’s website.
- How to fill Star Health and Allied Insurance claim form?
Part A of the claim form has to be filled by the insured member with policy number, personal details, insurance history, details of hospitalisation, details of claim, and bank account details. Guidance for filling the claim form will be given in the form itself. The form can be downloaded from the insurance company's website. Part B of the form has to be filled by the hospital.
- How to renew a Star Health and Allied Insurance policy?
Star Health Insurance plans will be renewed as per the terms and conditions mentioned in the policy document. Read the policy document carefully. Policy renewal has to be done within the grace period or the policy shall lapse. The insurance premium for renewal can be paid online through the insurer’s website. Click on the Renewal button, enter your policy number and personal details. Click on Proceed, view your renewal notice and gross premium amount, and click on Purchase Policy. You will be taken to the payment gateway for secure online payment.
- How to pay Star Health Insurance premium online?
Visit the insurer’s website, log into the site with your registered email ID and password, pay the insurance premium through the site using net banking, debit card or credit card.
- How do I login to Star Health Insurance?
To log into the Star Health Insurance website, you have to register with your name, phone, email, and password. You can login with your registered email ID and password.
- How do I file a cashless/reimbursement claim?
The process for cashless claims is as follows
Show your ID card at the insurance desk of the network hospital. Your identity will be verified by the hospital and a pre authorization form will be submitted to the insurer. The insurance company-appointed doctor will assess the documents and process the claim as per the terms and conditions of the policy. In the case of an emergency, the insurance company must be intimated within 24 hours of the accident, illness or hospitalisation. Intimation can be done by contacting the helpline number (1800 425 2255) or visiting the nearest office of Star Health. Mention the Star Health ID number or policy number for easy reference.
The process for reimbursement claims is as follows
- The insurer will assign a field doctor to make the hospitalisation process easy for you. After discharge, pay all the hospital bills, and collect the original documents of the treatment undergone and expenses incurred. Fill the claim form and submit it along with the relevant original documents at the nearest Star Health office.
- The following are the relevant documents required to file a claim
- Duly filled claim form.
- Original bills, receipts, and discharge certificate from the hospital.
- Original bills from the pharmacy along with the prescription.
- Test reports from a pathologist along with a note from the attending medical practitioner or surgeon prescribing the test.
- Nature of operation performed and surgeon's bill and receipt.
- Self-declaration FIR in the case of accident cases.
- Treating doctor's certificate.
- What is Star Health Insurance top up policy?
Super Surplus Insurance Policy is a top-up policy offered by Star Health and Allied Insurance. The policy provides a high sum insured at an affordable premium. pre-existing diseases are covered after a 3-year waiting period. No pre-acceptance medical test required. This policy can be purchased on individual as well as floater basis.
- What is Star Health and Allied Insurance toll-free number?
Customers can contact Star Health and Allied Insurance on the domestic toll-free number for any assistance. The number will be listed on the insurer’s website.
CITY NAME OF HOSPITAL Bangalore Columbia Asia Hospital Delhi Jain Charitable Hospital KOLKATA Columbia Asia Hospital Chennai Fortis Malabar Hospital Mumbai Hiranandani Hospital
*Disclaimer - This is not an exhaustive list but an indicative representation of hospitals that form a part of the company's wider network.