Star Health and Allied Insurance Co Ltd is a joint venture between Oman Insurance Company UAE, Leading NRIs and an Indian company being a special purpose vehicle formed by a group of business tycoons. In April 2013,Star Health Insurance became the first Insurance company to launch a specialty policy for people suffering from Cardiac ailments, Star Cardiac care the one of its kind policy for persons who had undergone Heart Surgeries
STAR HEALTH & ALLIED Health Insurance at a Glance
Total members covered
Coverage for a maximum of 4 family members with up to 2 adults and 2 children
Pre and Post Hospitalization cover
Medical expenses covered for 30 days before your hospitalization and 60 days for post hospitalization for related medical expenses
Cost of Health Check-up once after a block of every four claim-free years.
Critical Factors of the Plan
No copay , but 20 % of each and every claim in respect to the insured person age between 61- 65 years at entry level
Life long renewable
Plans are lifelong renewable and covers you for your entire lifetime.
Any pre-existing condition will be covered after a waiting period of 4 year
room rent Expense @2 % of sum insured,subject to a maximum of Rs. 4000/- per day
Additional Features of STAR HEALTH & ALLIED Health Insurance
No Third party Adminstrator, direct in-home claims settlement
Network of more than 7900 hospitals across India.
Bonus calculated starts at 5% of the basic sum insured for every claim-free year subject to a maximum of 100% is allowable.In the event of the claim the bonus will reduced by 5%.
Star Health Insurance Highlights Updated on 17 Oct 2017
|Waiting Period for Pre-existing Disease||4 years|
|Incurred Claims Ratio||53.81%|
|Number of Policies Issued||1991558|
*For Year 2015-2016
Overview of Star Health and Allied Insurance Co Ltd
Star Health and Allied Insurance Co Ltd began operations in health insurance, overseas mediclaim, and personal accident in 2006. The insurance company uses its resources to provide excellent services and customised products to meet the varying needs of its customers. Star Health and Allied Insurance has a capital base of Rs.1,050 crore, is one of the largest private health insurance providers in India. Present across the country, it services a wide range of individuals through its 7,500+ strong hospital network. It has emerged as India’s first stand-alone health insurance company, dealing in personal accident, mediclaim policies, and overseas travel insurance. The company offers a wide array of health insurance products at reasonable prices to make health insurance affordable for all. Star Health and Allied Insurance is focused on making health insurance coverage available to all segments of the population.
Why Compare Star Health Insurance Plans on BankBazaar?
Protecting Health, Protecting Wealth
Star Health and Allied Insurance has an impressive number of differentiated policies to safeguard a person's financial position in the event of medical adversity. The company recognises the economic fallouts of rising medical costs and has accordingly devised products through which customers can avail adequate and cost-efficient medical treatment.
Each of these plans serves to meet varied medical costs in unique ways. They boast of advantages such as quick, easy and direct settling of claims (i.e. no third party involvement), cashless facilities and free telephonic medical advice at any time
The following features/terms are common to all plans on offer:
- In-patient hospitalization/treatment which includes hospital expenses* incurred for a minimum of 24 hrs. (unless otherwise mentioned).
- Pre-hospitalization Expenses: Generally up to 30 days.
- Post-hospitalization Expenses: Generally up to 60 days; usually met through a lump sum payment @7% of the expenses or Rs.5,000, whichever is less.
- Pre-existing diseases are included subject to prior coverage by a domestic insurer; usually for the four years preceding policy inception (2 or 3 years where specified).
- Floater Basis: Family includes the primary policyholder, husband/wife and children who are dependent on the parent (generally subject to an age cap of 25 years); Sum assured is equally apportioned among insured members.
- Individual Basis: The sum assured is per person insured
- Reinstatement of sum assured: Normally allowed after a specified number of claim-free years
*(Room, Nursing, Boarding, Surgery, Anaesthetist, Medical Practitioner, Consultation, Specialists, Oxygen, OT charges, X-ray, Dialysis, Chemotherapy, Diagnostic Materials, Blood, Medicine, Drugs etc. depending on the plan chosen. This is not a restrictive list)The eligibility, coverage basis, costs and other benefits relating to each plan are outlined below:
A plan that covers inpatient as well as certain outpatient treatments. It also considers the health care needs of new/expectant mothers.
|Entry Age||5 months to 65 years; only renewals allowed after 65 years.|
|Basis||Individual and Family Floater|
|Sum Assured||Rs.5 lakhs to Rs.25 lakhs; chosen amount can be increased on renewal|
|Premium Charges||Rs.7,015 to Rs.2,56,770; depends on sum assured, age and family size|
|Reinstatement of sum assured||Up to 100%|
|Bonus||up to 50% on minimum sum assured of Rs.5 lakhs|
|Covers||Delivery / New-Born Cover (Includes C-sec deliveries and vaccinations for newborns), Out-patient treatment (Dental and Ophthalmic), Pre-Existing Diseases, Daily cash for hospital expenses (as per limits), Health-check expenses, Ambulance charges, Day-care treatments|
A complete package to meet varied medicare needs including non-allopathic treatment. It provides the option of enhanced coverage at enhanced premium charges.
|Entry Age||5 months to 65 years; only renewals allowed after 65 years
Family plan- 5 months to 45 years
|Medical Screening||Required for customers above 50 years at authorised centres|
|Co-payment||10% of all claims for insured members above 60 years|
|Policy Period||1 year|
|Discounts||5% for 2 years advance premium payments|
|Sum Assured||Individuals: Rs.1.5 lakhs to Rs.15 lakhs;Family Package Plan: Rs.2lakhs or 3 lakhs|
| Annual Premium Charges
Family Package Plan
Rs.2,510 to Rs.88,170;depends on sum assured, age and zone
Rs.4,460 to Rs.7,805 depends on sum assured, age and family size i.e. 2 adults or 2 adults with 1 child or 2 adults with 2 children
| Two-Year Premium Charges:
Family Package Plan
Rs.4,769 to Rs.1,67,523; depends on sum assured, age and zone
Rs.8,474 to Rs.14,830;depends on sum assured, age and family size i.e. 2 adults or 2 adults with 1 child or 2 adults with 2 children
|Reinstatement of sum assured||Up to 100% (individual basis only)|
|Bonus||5% - 25% of basic sum assured for every year following one in which no claim is made|
|Covers||Non-allopathic treatment, Pre-existing diseases, Pre and Post- hospitalization expenses, Day-care treatment, Health-Check Expenses|
|Optional Covers|| Hospital Cash: Extra premium Rs.350 (annual); Rs.665 (two-year);
Patient Care: Extra premium Rs.580 (annual); Rs.1,102 (two-year);
New-Born Baby Cover (only under Family Package Plan): Extra premium = 10% of the premium applicable in the year of birth
A policy to cover the entire family
|Entry Age||5 months to 65 years; only renewals allowed after 65 years.|
|Sum assured||Rs.1 lakh to Rs.15 lakhs|
|Premiums charged||Rs.3,890 to Rs.34,700;Depends on sum assured, age, family size and zone; based on age of oldest insured member|
|Bonus||15% to 35% depending on the sum assured|
|Reinstatement of sum assured||100% for coverage of Rs.3 lakhs and above|
|Co-payment||20% of all claims for insured members of ages 61 to 65 years|
|Covers||Cataract surgery, Ambulance charges, Pre-Existing diseases, Pre and Post-hospitalization expenses, Day-care expenses|
Senior citizens are an oft-ignored segment of the health insurance industry given their limited incomes and high susceptibility to age-related illnesses. Star Health has addressed this group's protection needs through this plan which provides affordable and adequate coverage along with attractive features.
|Entry Age||60 to 75 years|
|Renewals||Guaranteed after 75 years|
|Sum assured||Rs.1 lakh to Rs.10 lakhs|
|Premium charges||Rs.4,450 to Rs.22,500 depending on sum assured chosen|
|Discount||5% (based on meeting certain criteria)|
|Medical screening||Not required.|
|Treatment||Provided at any network hospital|
|Co-payment||50% for pre-existing disease claims; 30% for other claims|
|Covers||All types of pre-existing diseases effective from first policy year or from the second year if treatment was availed in the year preceding inception, ICU/Nurse/Specialist/Consultation/Surgeon charges (as per limits), Cardiovascular diseases/Cancer/Bone breakage/Cerebrovascular accidents/Renal Complications and other major surgeries, Post-hospitalization expenses, Ambulance charges|
Provides greater protection than that offered by the average run-of-the-mill plans. It can be availed by individuals for themselves or on a floater basis to include their families as well.
|Entry Age||3 months to 65 years; only renewals beyond 65 years|
|Basis||Individual or Floater|
|Sum assured|| Individual- Rs.7 lakh/ 10 lakh
Family Floater- Rs.10 lakh
|Premium charged||Rs.3,000 / Rs.4,000 (individuals);Rs.5,700 / Rs. 4,300 (family floater)|
|Mandatory deductibles||Rs.3 lakhs (individuals);Rs.3 lakhs or Rs.5 lakhs (family floater)|
|Cover||Unlimited for ICU/diagnostic/medicine/consultation charges|
Star Super Surplus ‘Gold’ Plan
A plan which caters to any unforeseen event, offering enhanced protection to policyholders. Designed primarily to offer enhanced protection, this is ideal for individuals who wish to avail the best in health insurance. Provisions of air-ambulance, absence of room rent cap, lifelong renewal and affordable premiums have made the Gold Plan a perfect ally for people accustomed to a certain way of life.
Minimum – 18 years
Maximum – 65 years
Children can avail protection under this plan, subject to the parent being a policyholder. Children aged between 3 months and 25 years can be protected under this policy
Individual or Floater
Minimum – Rs 5 lakhs (Floater and Individual)
Maximum – Rs 25 lakhs (Floater and Individual)
Maximum- Rs.10 lakhs (Individual)
Ranges between Rs 1,950 and Rs 36,360, depending on the entry age and sum assured
10% of claim amount for policyholder with entry age over 60 years
Hospitalisation charges (including room and nursing fees), air ambulance cover, surgeon/consultant fees, medicine costs, operation theatre expenses, second opinion costs, etc.
|Entry Age||5 months to 65 years|
|Basis||Individual or Floater|
|Medical screening||Required for insured members above 50 years|
|Premium charged||Rs.15,000 (excluding GST)|
|Discount||Maximum 10% no-claim bonus upon renewal.|
|Covers||Outpatient treatment within limits (unused amounts can be rolled over for one year), Ambulance charges, Pre/Post-hospitalization expenses, Day-care procedures as specified, Pre-existing diseases.|
A policy that aims at covering a number of medical fallouts including major diseases.
|Entry Age||18 to 65 years, only renewals beyond 65 years|
|Sum assured||Rs.2 lakhs to Rs.10 lakhs|
|Premiums charged||Rs.3,750 to Rs.35,350|
|Discounts:||5% for 2 members and below; 10% above 2 members|
|Medical screening||Required for persons above 50 years at authorised centres|
|Co-payment||30% of claims for insured parties above 60 years; applicable to sub-limits|
|Covers||A number of major diseases are covered in addition to the regular plan; Non-allopathic procedures within given limits, Pre-existing diseases, Ambulance charges, Pre/Post-hospitalization expenses, Day-care treatment as specified|
Going to the heart of it's customer-base, this plan is geared towards compensating insured parties for expenses incurred on cardiac ailments in addition to comprehensive health benefits.
|Entry Age||10 to 65 years; for those who have been Stenting or Bypass patients in the 7 years preceding policy inception.|
|Sum assured||Rs.3 or 4 lakhs|
|Premiums charged|| Rs.18,000 to Rs.39,000 (silver plan);
Rs.26,000 to Rs.57,000 (gold plan)
|Discounts||5% for 2 member and below; 10% above 2 members|
|Medical screening||Required for all entrants|
|Co-payment||10% of claims for insured parties above 60 years.of age|
|Covers|| Pre-existing cardiac diseases - cover effective from 91st policy day;
For cardiac ailments:
Gold Plan: Medical treatment for illnesses/accidents; cardiac surgeries and cardiac medical management
Silver Plan: Same as Gold Plan but does not cover cardiac medical management Pre-existing diseases Ambulance charges, Pre/Post-hospitalization expenses, Day-care treatment
|Entry Age||18 to 65 years; only renewals allowed beyond 65 years|
|Policy period||2 years; sum assured and the sub-limits are per policy year|
|Sum assured||Rs.1 lakh to Rs.3 lakhs|
|Sub-limits||Rs.50,000 to Rs.1.5 lakhs|
|Premiums charged||Rs.4,900 to Rs.26,450|
|Premium payment||2 installments; one at inception and then at start of 2nd policy year|
|Medical screening||Not required|
|Covers||HIV + persons (subject to conditions), Non-allopathic treatment, Pre/Post-hospitalization expenses, Pre-existing diseases, Ambulance charges, Day-care procedures as specified|
A plan developed to ensure a healthy married life, the foundation of a successful future.
|Entry age (for couples)||18 to 40 years; renewable till 45 years; followed by optional policy migration|
Rs.10,305 to Rs.15,310
Rs.18,550 to Rs.27,560 depending on cover chosen, age and family size i.e. 2 adults or 2 adults and 1 child
|Policy period||1 or 2 years.|
|Medical screening||Not required.|
|Covers||Delivery/New-born cover: Up to 2 deliveries; pre-post natal expenses, Non-allopathic treatment, Pre-existing diseases, Pre and Post-hospitalization expenses, Ambulance charges, Day-care procedures as specified.|
Usually treated as an exclusion to health contracts this plan makes diabetics the main feature.
|Entry age||18 to 65 years|
|Basis||Individual or Floater|
|Medical screening||Required if coverage chosen is effective from inception|
|Reinstatement of sum assured||Up to 100% (on individual basis)|
|Covers||Those already diagnosed with Diabetes Mellitus and related ailments, Costs of artificial limbs post-amputation, Pre and post-hospitalization expenses, Day-care treatment|
|Entry age||5 months to 65 years, only renewals allowed beyond 65 years|
|Sum assured||Rs. 2 or 3 lakhs|
|Premium charged||Rs.2,800 to Rs.33,100;depending on the cover chosen, age and family size i.e. 2 adults or 2 adults and 1 child or 2 adults and 2 children; Extra premium for one more child under Rs.3 lakhs cover is Rs.1000|
|Medical screening||Required for entrants above 50 years at authorised centres|
|Covers||Specific diseases subject to limits, Pre-existing diseases, ICU charges, Ambulance charges within limits, Day-care treatment as specified, Pre and Post-hospitalization expenses|
In a move towards inclusion, the company has introduced this policy to extend the benefits of insurance to ostracized members of society. While most policies exclude HIV positive persons, this plan reaches out to them. Details are provided by the company when contacted.
The micro health insurance offered by Star Health Insurance offers its customers the opportunity to take a policy that will provide them with cover for hospital expenses at an affordable price. The maximum sum assured under this policy is up to Rs. 30,000 per year and it will cover things like hospitalisation for more than 24 hours and even pre-existing diseases. The benefits that this policy also offers include things like the income tax benefit and covering even the charges for the ambulance need for transportation. The premium for this policy can range from Rs. 275 to Rs. 500 for policies that offer Rs. 30,000 worth of cover and anyone between the ages of 5 months and 65 years is allowed to take this policy.
The Star Care is a health insurance policy that can be taken as an individual plan or as a family floater plan. The policy is available to anyone between the ages of 2 years to 65 years and can be renewed for life. This means that after the age of 65 years you can continue to renew it for the rest of your life. The policy will offer benefits like pre and post hospitalisation cover and up to Rs. 1,000 as daily hospital cash for up to 14 days. This policy does not require any medicals prior to the distribution of the policy and covers about 405 day-care procedures.
It’s important to stay covered under an insurance policy in case something untoward happens that could leave you in a financially unstable position. Even if an event occurs that happens to render you incapable of earning an income, you need to ensure that your family doesn’t have to suffer financially. The Star Health Accident Care Insurance Policy health insurance product provides you the peace of mind of knowing that even if you meet with an accident, the expenses for your hospitalization and treatment will be taken care of. In addition, if the accident leaves you disabled and unable to earn an income, the plan will also pay out a sum of money to your dependants and spouse to tide over tough times.
Features of Accident Care Insurance Plan:
- Minimum entry age is 18 years and maximum is 70 years.
- Dependent children can be brought under insurance cover from the age of 5 months.
- Policy pays hospital cash benefits.
- Medical expenditure is taken care of to a large degree.
- One of the few polices that provides coverage for accidents that occur while playing winter sports.
- Educational grant provided for minor children.
- Travel expenses will be covered if required for one spouse.
- Insured amount will be calculated based on the income of the policyholder.
- Policy tenure can be of one, two, or even three years.
- Policy has lifetime renewability.
|Renewal||No age limit; Grace period of 30 days from expiry; Increase in sum assured allowed upon renewal; Renewal premium can vary|
|Cancellation||Allowed at any time during policy period; Premiums refunded as per company rates|
|Termination||Upon death of insured, When entire cover is claimed|
Why should you buy Star Health and Allied Insurance policies?
There are several health insurance providers in India. It can be difficult to choose the right health insurance provider. Here is a list of highlights of Star Health and Allied Insurance Co Ltd to help you understand why this insurance company is one of the top insurers in the country:
- It is India’s first stand-alone health insurance company in Pan India.
- From family floater schemes to senior citizen health insurance plans, the company offers a wide range of health insurance products.
- The company has more than 340 branch offices. It offers cashless hospitalisation and reimbursement facility across 8200 plus hospitals in India.
- In FY2016-17, 3,78,710 claims were settled, Rs.1,378.13 crore was settled in claims, and 87% of the cashless claims was settled in less than 2 hours.
- Customers can access information on products and services offered by Star Health Insurance through the company website, Interactive Voice Response System, etc.
- Policyholders will receive renewal notice 15 days before the expiry date of the policy from the insurance company.
- The insurer will confirm underwriting decision within 7 days from the receipt of medical reports if a pre-medical examination is required.
- Hassle-free and speedy direct claim settlement process without the intervention of a Third-Party Administrator.
- In the case of cashless facility, the company will give pre-authorisation within 4 hours from the receipt of the request.
- Reimbursement claims will be decided on within 30 days of receipt of complete claim documents.
- Claim status can be known within 3 days of receipt of documents.
- All grievances will be acknowledged within 3 days of receipt. Grievances will be resolved within 15 days of receipt.
Here is a list of awards won by Star Health and Allied Insurance:
- Star Health and Allied Insurance won the ‘W.H.O Award of Excellence, 2017’ award.
- It won the ‘Best Health Insurance Provider of the Year’ at the Business Today, Money Today Financial Awards 2016-2017.
- Star Health and Allied Insurance beat 28 general insurance companies at the Indian Insurance Award and won the ‘Claims Service Company Of The Year, 2014’.
- Star Health Insurance was rated the ‘Best Claim Settlement Insurer’ in Hindustan MaRS Survey.
Star Health and Allied Insurance Co Ltd has no Third-Party Administrator (TPA), instead it deals with direct in-house claim settlement. With the advent of technology, the company has a facility to maintain personal health records in electronic format.
Star Health and Allied Insurance Online Renewal
Star Health and Allied Insurance offers many policies with a lifetime renewability option. Here is a step-by-step guide to renew your Star Health Insurance policy online:
- Visit the insurer's website for instant renewal.
- Click on the Renewal button.
- Fill in the online form with details about your policy such as the policy number, your mobile number, email ID, and date of birth. Click on Proceed.
- Fill in your address and click on proceed.
- Renewal details such as gross premium and service tax will be displayed.
- You can click on Renewal Notice and a new window will open with the notice.
- After reading the notice, click on Purchase Policy.
- Register with your name, phone, email and password to pay the premium using net banking, debit card or credit card.
It is important to check the terms and conditions of renewability before buying a health insurance policy.
Star Health and Allied Insurance Customer Care
Star Health and Allied Insurance has a dedicated claims helpdesk to resolve the claim-related queries of its customers. The claims helpdesk number and contact person for each location can be found on the insurance company's website. The grievances will be acknowledged within hours of registration of complaint.
- Address: The Manager - Customer Care, Star Health & Allied Insurance Co. Ltd, No.1, New Tank Street, Valluvarkottam High Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai - 600 034
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Toll Free: 1800-425-2255 or 1800-102-4477
- For other users: (044) - 2753 2060 or 2853 2030
Your queries can be submitted online through the insurer’s website. As one of the largest health insurance companies in India, Star Health and Allied Insurance takes special care in redressing the grievances of its customers.
Star Health and Allied Insurance Benefits
Star Health and Allied Insurance offers health insurance policies for individuals, families, senior citizens, and accident care. Listed below are the benefits of Star Health Insurance plans:
- Benefits of individual health insurance plans offered by Star Health and Allied Insurance:
- Individuals aged 18 to 65 years are eligible for the plan.
- There is no sub-limit on room rent and treatment costs.
- Insurance cover includes hospital cash benefits and free health checkup for every 3 claim-free years.
- Insurance covers over 400 day-care procedures.
- Benefits of family health insurance plans offered by Star Health and Allied Insurance:
- Affordable health insurance cover is available on a floater basis.
- For a claim-free renewal, you can get up to 100% increase in sum insured.
- No sub-limit on room rent and treatment costs.
- Your policy will cover dental and ophthalmic treatments on Out-Patient Department (OPD) basis.
- Insurance benefits include air ambulance facility and second medical opinion.
- Benefits of senior citizen health insurance plans offered by Star Health and Allied Insurance:
- Senior citizens aged 60 to 75 years can apply for the plan.
- No-pre insurance medical test is required.
- Insurance covers pre-existing diseases from 2nd year onwards.
- Policy comes with a guaranteed lifetime renewability option.
- Medical consultations can be availed as an outpatient in a network hospital.
- Benefits of accident care individual health insurance plans offered by Star Health and Allied Insurance:
- Insurance cover for accidental death, permanent disability, and temporary disablement.
- Get enhanced weekly compensation up to Rs.15,000 per week for up to 100 weeks.
- Get educational grant for dependent children.
- Get 5% cumulative bonus per annum up to a maximum of 50%.
- Get up to 150% of the sum insured as compensation for permanent total disablement.
With accident care insurance from Star Health Insurance, you can be prepared for the worst.
Star Health and Allied Insurance Products
From individual and family health insurance plans to senior citizen and top-up plan, Star Health and Allied Insurance offers a wide range of health insurance plans to meet the varying needs of the customers. Here is a list of health insurance products offered by Star Health Insurance:
- Family Health Optima Insurance Plan: With this family health insurance plan, you can get a wider insurance coverage for the entire family at an affordable premium. For every claim-free year, you can get a free health checkup. New-born baby cover is available from the 16th day onwards. This policy comes with a grace period of 120 days. Insurance coverage is available for all day-care procedures. For sum insured of Rs.3 lakh and above, automatic restoration of the basic sum insured is available 3 times at 100% each time during the policy term.
- Senior Citizens Red Carpet Health Insurance Policy: Senior citizens aged 60 to 75 years can apply for this policy. No pre-insurance medical test is required for applying. Pre-existing diseases are covered from the 2nd year onwards. This policy comes with a guaranteed lifetime renewal option and high sum insured coverage of up to Rs.10 lakh. Medical consultations can be availed as an outpatient at a network hospital.
- Star Comprehensive Insurance Policy: This policy covers medical expenses incurred on bariatric surgical procedures. Policy benefits include air ambulance assistance and second medical opinion. The cost of health checkup for every 3 claim-free years is covered under this policy. Get hospital cash benefit, automatic restoration of sum insured by 100%, maternity coverage, and personal accident cover against death and permanent total disablement. The policy covers dental and ophthalmic treatments on OPD basis. There is no sub-limit for room rent and treatment cost. The policy covers over 400 day-care procedures.
- Medi-classic Insurance Policy (Individual): Get a No-Claim Bonus of 5-25% for every claim-free year, free health checkup up to Rs.5,000 for every 4 claim-free years, automatic restoration of sum insured by 200%, and coverage for 101 day-care procedures. Hospital cash benefit and patient care cover are optional covers with this individual health insurance policy.
- Star Health Gain Insurance Policy: This policy covers individuals and families. Get insurance coverage for inpatient and outpatient treatments, a No-Claim Bonus of up to 10% upon renewal, and fixed premium across all age groups and sum insured ranges. Unutilised outpatient benefit can be carried forward to the next year after policy renewal.
- Super Surplus Insurance Policy: This is a top-up policy offering a high sum insured at an affordable premium. Pre-existing diseases cover begins after a 3-year waiting period. No pre-acceptance medical screening is required. This policy can be purchased as an individual or floater policy.
- Star Unique Health Insurance Policy: This policy comes with unique policy benefits such as pre-existing diseases covered after a 11-month waiting period, hospitalisation cover includes ambulance charges and pre-hospitalisation expenses up to 30 days prior to admission, pre-hospitalisation paid as a lump sum amount, and no pre-acceptance medical test required. The policy term is 2 years and the premium can be paid in 2 instalments.
- Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy: Hospitalisation cover includes complications of type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Policy can be purchased as individual or floater policy. Outpatient expenses such as medical consultation, medicines, and diagnostic tests are covered. Compensation for accidental death of insured member given. Donor expenses for kidney transplant covered. Dialysis expenses of Rs.1,000 per sitting covered up to 2 years. Over 400 day-care procedures covered and automatic restoration of entire sum insured.
- Star Cardiac Care Insurance Policy: This policy is for individuals who have undergone surgery, correction or intervention for existing cardiac diseases. Outpatient benefit and personal accident death cover available. This policy is available in gold and silver plan options. Silver plan covers expenses incurred for inpatient treatment with respect to all cardiac-related complications that requires surgery or intervention while gold plan covers expenses incurred for inpatient treatment with respect to all cardiac-related complications that requires medical management and surgery or intervention. Over 405 day-care procedures covered and no pre-acceptance medical test required.
- Star Wedding Gift Insurance: This policy covers regular hospitalisation, delivery, and newborn baby expenses. You can also get cover for non-allopathic treatment up to a specified limit. Policy term is for 1 or 2 years. No pre-acceptance medical test is required.
- Star Micro Health Insurance: This policy offers healthcare protection at an affordable cost. Get hospitalisation cover up to a specified limit which includes ambulance charges.
- Star Net Plus: This is a special policy offered by Star Health and Allied Insurance for those who need it the most. It is the first policy in India to cover HIV positive individuals.
- Star Care Insurance Policy: This policy is available on individual and floater basis in Tier I and Tier II places. Pre-hospitalisation and post-hospitalisation expenses covered under this policy. Hospital cash benefit available if treatment is sought at a government hospital.
- Star Criticare Plus Insurance Policy: This policy offers insurance cover for 9 specified critical illnesses. There is no restriction of the survival period. It also covers regular hospitalisation and non-allopathic treatment up to specified limit. The cover will continue till the expiry of the policy for regular hospitalisation even after payment of lump sum amount.
- Star Family Delite Insurance Policy: This is an affordable health insurance policy for families. Get insurance cover for pre-hospitalisation, post-hospitalisation, and specified day-care procedure expenses.
Star Health and Allied Insurance Mediclaim Premium Calculator
The online premium calculator available on the insurer’s website makes it easy for insurance premium calculation of your chosen health insurance policy. Visit the official website of Star Health Insurance and click on the chosen plan. For instance, if you have chosen a family insurance plan, enter how many adults and children you want to insure under the scheme, enter the sum insured amount, the date of birth of the eldest member of your family, your mobile number and email ID. Click on Proceed To Buy. You will get an instant quote of the insurance premium for the chosen policy.
Star Health and Allied Insurance for Government Employees
The Tamil Nadu State Government had launched a new health insurance scheme with a tie-up with Star Health and Allied Insurance Company for government employees and their families in 2008. The premium for the health cover was paid by the employees and in part by the government. The policyholder could avail up to Rs.2 lakh towards medical expenses for 4 years for an annual premium of Rs.495. The state government employee had to pay Rs.300 while the government paid the rest. A sum of Rs.25 was deducted from the monthly salary of the employee enrolled under the scheme. The beneficiaries of the scheme could avail medical services in 52 hospitals across the state.
Star Health and Allied Insurance Health Checkup
Star Health Insurance covers health checkup for every 1-3 claim-free years under the Family Health Optima Insurance Plan, Star Comprehensive Insurance policy, and Medi-classic Insurance Policy. Regular Health checkup can help identify an illness or prevent the onset of one. Health checkup can be expensive, which is why, an insurance policy that covers your health check-up costs can be beneficial.
Star Health and Allied Insurance Policy Document
It is important to go through the policy document for inclusions and exclusions when buying an insurance plan so as to avoid any hassle when making a claim. Star Health and Allied Insurance application form, policy document, brochures, pre-authorisation form, and KYC form are available on the insurer’s website. You can download the forms, fill it, and submit it at the nearest Star Health Insurance branch office.
Star Health and Allied Insurance Login
To log into the Star Health Insurance website, you have to register with your name, phone, email, and password. You can login with your registered email ID and password. By logging into the website, you can carry out the following:
- Star Health and Allied Insurance mediclaim online payment
- View your policy renewal notice
- Make Star Health and Allied Insurance renewal payment
Star Health and Allied Insurance Customer ID
A new health insurance scheme was launched by the Tamil Nadu state government in partnership with the stand-alone health insurance company, Star Health and Allied Insurance to provide health cover for government employees. The insurance company issued identity cards to the employees and the beneficiaries covered under the new health insurance scheme through the respective pay drawing officers within a period of 60 days from the date of commencement of the scheme.
Find cashless network hospitals nearby: Star Health Network Hospitals
Also Read: How to File a Claim with Star Health?
Also Read: Best Health Insurance Plans of 2017
Star Health Insurance FAQs
- Why do I need health insurance?
- What is cashless hospitalization? Does Star Health Insurance Company provide it?
- Can I renew my Start Health Insurance policy? If yes, how?
- What is a health card?
- What is the maximum number of claims that I can make in one year?
- What is a family floater plan?
- Will a Star Health Insurance policy help me to get exemption from Income Tax?
- Are Star Health Insurance policies accepted across the country?
- Do I need a medical checkup before buying a Star health insurance policy?
- Does Star Health Insurance cover medical cost spent in outpatient treatment?
- Does Start Health Insurance take care of my existing diseases?
- Can I get reimbursement if I avail treatment at non – network hospitals?
- Can I avail tax benefits from the health insurance scheme?
- Is a medical checkup mandatory before buying a health policy?
- Why is it mandatory to have health insurance?
- How does cashless facility work?
- Can I take health insurance for my 3 year old child?
- I’m a foreigner and I live in India, can I avail health cover from Star Health and Allied Insurance?
- How to check Star Health and Allied Insurance claim status?
- How to get Star Health Insurance agency?
- How to apply for a Star Health Insurance policy?
- How to fill Star Health and Allied Insurance claim form?
- How to renew a Star Health and Allied Insurance policy?
- How to pay Star Health Insurance premium online?
- Login to Star Health Insurance?
- Star Health Insurance how to claim?
Health Insurance helps you to take care of you and your family’s future by paying off your medical expenses. It helps you to save money.
Cashless hospitalization enables you to save money. This is a facility offered to you by your insurance provider wherein your health insurance provider will pay off your hospitalization bills. Star Health Insurance Company does provide cashless hospitalization.
Yes, you can renew your Star Health Insurance policy. For that, the company will send you renewal notice which will contain the expiry date of your present policy.
A health card is like an identity card which comes with your health insurance policy. This card enables you to enjoy cashless hospitalization facility at Star Health Insurance company’s network hospitals. You need to show your health card at the time of admission into a network hospital to enjoy all the benefits.
You can make any number of claims during the tenure of your policy. But the maximum amount of claim you can make is the sum insured in the policy.
It is a plan that takes care of the hospitalization expense of your entire family.
Yes, you can get exemption from income tax up to Rs.15,000 under section 80D of the Income Tax Act.
Yes, Star Health Insurance policies are accepted across the country. If you stay at Bangalore and your family stays at Mumbai, you can cover all of them under the same policy.
If your age is above 50 years and you want to buy a Star health insurance policy, then you need to go through medical checkup. However, medical checkup is not required for the senior citizen policies.
Generally health insurance companies cover the cost of inpatients. However, Star Health Insurance Company covers the cost incurred as outpatients under specific terms and conditions.
Yes, Star Health Insurance takes care of your pre-existing diseases as well. However, you can get it covered after 48 months of continuous renewal with Star Health Insurance.
If you take treatment at non-network hospitals, Star Health Insurance will reimburse you the amount of bills which is subject to the policy undertaken. But, cashless hospitalization is available only if you take treatment at the network hospitals of Star Health Insurance.
Under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, 1961, the policyholder can get tax deductions for premium paid towards a health insurance policy.
|Description||Self, spouse, and dependent children||Parents||Total deduction under Section 80D|
|Assessee and his or her family is below 60 years of age||Rs.25,000||Rs.25,000||Rs.50,000|
|Assessee and his or her family is less than 60 years of age and parents are above 60 years old||Rs.25,000||Rs.30,000||Rs.55,000|
|Assessee and his or her parents are 60 years and above||Rs.30,000||Rs.30,000||Rs.60,000|
For individuals above 50 years old, a medical checkup is necessary when buying a new health insurance policy. Medical checkup is not necessary for senior citizen health insurance policy offered to individuals between 60 to 69 years of age.
With the steady rise in healthcare costs and lifestyle diseases, it is crucial to have a health insurance plan that will cover you and your family in your hour of need. Having a suitable health cover will ensure you get timely and adequate healthcare.
Insured members will be given an identity card. When availing cashless facility, the policyholder must obtain a pre-authorisation letter from the hospital and intimate Star Health Insurance. The pre-authorisation form has to be submitted to Star Health Insurance by the hospital. Depending on the details furnished, the insurer will process the cashless request.
Children are not covered under individual policies but can be covered with a parent.
Yes, you can avail health cover from Star Health and Allied Insurance. However, the insurance coverage will be restricted to the treatment received in hospitals in India during the policy term.
Visit Star Health and Allied Insurance’ website, enter the claim intimation number and ID number. Choose the network hospital or agreed network hospital where you received treatment from the drop-down list. Click on ‘Submit’ to view your claim status.
The list of Star Health insurance branch offices in your location and across the country is available on the insurer’s website along with a list of the Star Health Insurance agents and their contact numbers.
Visit the insurer’s website, choose a suitable policy, and get an instant quote on the chosen policy using the online premium calculator. Go through the policy brochure, download the application form, fill it up, and submit it online or at a nearest Star Health branch office. Insurance premium payment can be made online if you are buying the policy through the insurer’s website.
Part A of the claim form has to be filled by the insured member with policy number, personal details, insurance history, details of hospitalisation, details of claim, and bank account details. Guidance for filling the claim form will be given in the form itself. The form can be downloaded from the insurance company's website. Part B of the form has to be filled by the hospital.
Star Health Insurance plans will be renewed as per the terms and conditions mentioned in the policy document. Read the policy document carefully. Policy renewal has to be done within the grace period or the policy shall lapse. The insurance premium for renewal can be paid online through the insurer’s website. Click on the Renewal button, enter your policy number and personal details. Click on Proceed, view your renewal notice and gross premium amount, and click on Purchase Policy. You will be taken to the payment gateway for secure online payment.
Visit the insurer’s website, log into the site with your registered email ID and password, pay the insurance premium through the site using net banking, debit card or credit card.
To log into the Star Health Insurance website, you have to register with your name, phone, email, and password. You can login with your registered email ID and password.
The process for cashless claims is as follows
- Show your ID card at the insurance desk of the network hospital. Your identity will be verified by the hospital and a pre authorization form will be submitted to the insurer. The insurance company-appointed doctor will assess the documents and process the claim as per the terms and conditions of the policy. In the case of an emergency, the insurance company must be intimated within 24 hours of the accident, illness or hospitalisation. Intimation can be done by contacting the helpline number (1800 425 2255) or visiting the nearest office of Star Health. Mention the Star Health ID number or policy number for easy reference.
The process for reimbursement claims is as follows
- The insurer will assign a field doctor to make the hospitalisation process easy for you. After discharge, pay all the hospital bills, and collect the original documents of the treatment undergone and expenses incurred. Fill the claim form and submit it along with the relevant original documents at the nearest Star Health office.
The following are the relevant documents required to file a claim
- Duly filled claim form.
- Original bills, receipts, and discharge certificate from the hospital.
- Original bills from the pharmacy along with the prescription.
- Test reports from a pathologist along with a note from the attending medical practitioner or surgeon prescribing the test.
- Nature of operation performed and surgeon's bill and receipt.
- Self-declaration FIR in the case of accident cases.
- Treating doctor's certificate.
Super Surplus Insurance Policy is a top-up policy offered by Star Health and Allied Insurance. The policy provides a high sum insured at an affordable premium. pre-existing diseases are covered after a 3-year waiting period. No pre-acceptance medical test required. This policy can be purchased on individual as well as floater basis.
Customers can contact Star Health and Allied Insurance on domestic toll-free number, 1800-425-2255 or 1800-102-4477 for policy-related queries.
Examples of Network Hospitals in Major Cities
|CITY||NAME OF HOSPITAL|
|Bangalore||Columbia Asia Hospital|
|Delhi||Jain Charitable Hospital|
|KOLKATA||Columbia Asia Hospital|
|Chennai||Fortis Malabar Hospital|
*Disclaimer - This is not an exhaustive list but an indicative representation of hospitals that form a part of the company's wider network.
Other Products from Star Health Insurance Group
News About STAR HEALTH & ALLIED Health Insurance
Star Health Insurance to raise Rs.200 crore to launch product for cancer patients
Anand Roy, Executive Director and CMO of the standalone health insurance company, Star Health Insurance said that the company is planning to launch a disease-specific product for cancer patients and children suffering from autistic disorders. In the previous financial year, the company earned Rs.2,962 crore in gross written premium. This year, it is targeting Rs.4,000 crore. The company is planning to raise Rs.200 crore funds to support its growth plans.
The insurer has increased the cost of Family Health Optima plan by 10-15% due to the rise in medical costs and health inflation. The sum assured for the Family Health Optima plan will automatically increase by 25% (up to maximum Rs.5 lakh) for helmet-wearing customers. As for the the company's distribution channels, it has about 1.5 lakh agents and online channel. It is planning to open 20 to 25 branches this year.
30th August 2017
Star Health Insurance plans to raise funds up to Rs.3,000 crore
In order to meet its growing capital base and working capital requirements, Star Health Insurance has decided to appoint a domestic investment bank to raise funds and one of the options may include Initial Public Offering (IPO). Star Health and Allied Insurance Co. Ltd sells travel, health, and accident insurance. The company wants to raise up to Rs.3,000 crore in funding by selling primary and secondary stakes. 80% stake in Religare Health Insurance Co. Ltd was sold to a group of investors for Rs.1,300 crore in April. In July, HDFC Life announced its plans to sell 9.57% stake through IPO. At the same time, SBI Life Insurance Co. Ltd got approval to raise up to Rs.7,000 crore through its IPO.
11th August 2017
Star Health and Allied Insurance considering an IPO
Star Health and Allied Insurance mainly deals with overseas travel insurance, mediclaim, and personal accidents. It is a joint venture between Sequoia Capital, ICICI Ventures, Oman Insurance Company, Tata Capital Growth Fund, and others. It has a capital of Rs.1,050 crores. In 2016, after ICICI Ventures and Apis Partners acquired a 15% stake in the company for Rs.320 crores, Star Health and Allied Insurance has been valued at over Rs.2,100 crores. 63.76% of the shares is owned by domestic shareholders and rest is owned by foreign investors. The company has witnessed a growth rate of more than 40% on yearly basis.
Star Health & Allied Insurance is the first standalone health insurer in India. Sources say that the company is considering an Initial Public Offering (IPO) as getting buyers for multiple holder's stake can be difficult. Insurers have to complete 10 years to list. Star Health and Allied Insurance is the only eligible one in its category so far. However, V Jagannathan, the Chairman of the company said that there are no plans to list.
1st June 2017
Star Health may be the first health insurer to list shares
Star Health & Allied Insurance, the sole health insurance company in India, may soon start selling its shares in D-St. The company intends to sell its shares to the masses partially because they do not want a few private equity investors. They want to enter the initial public offering (IPO) mode as they feel that making arrangements for purchasers for several holders’ stakes is a complex process.
A source also said that since the stock market is performing well off late, the launch of the shares in the market will be a great move. However, V Jagannathan, the chairman of the company, stated that they do not have any such plans.
31st May 2017
Star Health launches improved version of Family Health Optima
Star Health and Allied Insurance has released a new version of the Family Health Optima Plan. The relaunched product comes with additional features such as automatic increase of the sum assured by 25% if the customer wears a helmet and is safe on the roads. This is capped at a maximum of Rs.5 lakh. Other benefits include health check-ups for every claim-free year, and assisted reproductive treatment and other specified treatments after 3 years of being a policyholder. The new product is an improved version of the existing Family Health Optima Plan. Those who opt for this plan now will stand to benefit from a range of added features and benefits.
24th April 2017
Star Health Insurance Company investors to make an exit from highly competitive venture
Star Health Insurance Company is a joint venture between ICIC Ventures, Tata Capital Growth Fund, Oman Insurance Company, Sequoia Capital, and Alpha TC Holdings. Investors in this company have put a hold on the block as they are planning to exit a venture that is becoming overwhelmingly competitive. According to sources, at least two local and two international investment banks have pitched to PE investors for a mandate to sell the insurance company. However, investment bankers say that it is becoming difficult to get a single buyer for many holders’ stake because the sale had to be made to a strategic investor or sell PE funds in a secondary sale. As bankers gathered to give presentations to mandate Star Health Insurance Company to sell their business, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Kotak, and ICICI Securities were participating companies. With the company growing at a rate more than 30%, it is unable to meet capital requirement. Indians have been thronging to buy health insurance policies from Star owing to rising health expenditure.
13th January 2017
Target of Rs.3,000 crore premium set by Star Health Insurance
Star Health Insurance and Allied Insurance (SHIAI) is looking to achieve a 40% growth rate by the end of the current fiscal. After achieving Rs.1,530 crore during April-November 2016, V. Jagannathan, Chairman and Managing Director of SHAI stated that achieving a premium of Rs.2,800-Rs.3,000 crore by the end of the financial year would be a possible goal. Having a predominant presence in the markets of Maharashtra, Karnataka, Kerala, and Tamil Nadu, Jagannathan said that the company is working on a few new products related to health insurance which can make its portfolio stronger.
10th January 2017
Star Health looking to private equity players to raise Rs 360 crore
Health insurer Star Health and Allied Insurance are looking to private equity players to raise around Rs 360 crore through a fresh equity issuance, with JM Financial appointed as the arranger of the transaction. Chairman and managing director of Star Health and Allied Insurance, V Jagannathan stated that while the existing partners want to continue in the company, talks are ongoing with domestic and foreign equity firms to rope in new investors.
The company currently owns 38 crore shares and plans to raise capital via the issuance of fresh shares to investors in order to expand their business.
4th January 2016
Star Health Insurance to increase its capital
Star Health Insurance is planning to increase their capital with placement in private equity. The plan is to increase a Rs. 300 crore with a private investor by raising fresh shares. The company also is planning to start new schemes for pain therapy, they’ve already introduced a policy related to obesity. The reason Star Health Insurance is now moving towards retail customer health insurance is because their group insurance schemes were not very profitable. Health insurance is now a growing section of the insurance sector, earning the industry almost Rs. 20, 440 crore in 2014-15 and will increase to almost Rs. 55,000 crores by 2020 as an industry.
16th October 2015
New packages offered by Star Health Insurance for pain therapy
Star Health and Allied Insurance Company will be introducing health insurance packages for pain therapies. Earlier this year, the company introduced a scheme for bariatric surgery, which is generally done for obesity reduction. The number of such surgeries are on the rise, in year 2014-2015 over 12,000 such surgeries took place, and the number is likely to grow. Many insurers do not cover such surgeries but it is becoming more necessary for companies to start to cover these procedure said S Prakash, Executive Director, Star Health and Allied Insurance Company. In India the health insurance sector has grown to 15.6% in 2014-15, Star Health was responsible for 37% of that growth.
15th October 2015
GST rate of 18% applicable for all financial services effective July 1, 2017.
Disclaimer: Premiums may vary depending upon factors like age, location and prevailing taxes/GST.