What is an E-Challan
The system of the e-Challan had been introduced in October, 2013. This had replaced the paper challan system. An e-challan mixes state-of-the-art technology and also the Traffic Police of the city services. An ANPR camera will record the violation and immediately send the screen grab to the nearest police room.
Traffic Rules and Regulations in Chennai
- When the traffic light turns amber, you should stay alert. This light means that you will need to start the vehicle and the light will change soon.
- When the traffic light turns red, you have to come to a stop and not cross the line. If your vehicle crosses the stop line, it will be an offence.
- When the light is flashing red, you need to stop vehicle before you check if the road is clear and then proceed.
- When the traffic light is green, you need to move your vehicle forward.
- If the light is at an intersection, then, you have to move forward slowly.
Pay Your Chennai Traffic E-Challan Online
Via the Website
- Step 1: Visit the website https://eservices.tnpolice.gov.in/CCTNSNICSDC/Index?0
- Step 2: Click on ‘Citizen Services (Paid)’
- Step 3: Select ‘E-Payment for Traffic Challans’
- Step 4: Enter your Challan Number and last 5 digits of the Engine or Chassis number
- Step 5: Enter the Captcha
- Step 6: Click on ‘Get Details’
- Step 1: Go to the Paytm app and choose 'More’.
- Step 2: Select ‘City Services’ and click on 'Other Services' and choose ‘Challan’.
- Step 3: Choose the traffic authority.
- Step 4: Key in details like registration certificate number, e-challan number, driving licence, and vehicle number.
- Step 5: Choose ‘Proceed’
- Step 6: Enter the fine amount and complete the payment.
Via the Parivahan Website
- Step 1: Visit the website https://echallan.parivahan.gov.in/index/accused-challan
- Step 2: Key in vehicle number, challan number, and DL (Driving Licence) mumber.
- Step 3: Enter the captcha code and click on ‘Get Details’
- Step 4: Verify details of the traffic offence and make payment.
How to Check Traffic Fine and e-Challan Status
- Step 1: Go to https://echallan.parivahan.gov.in/
- Step 2: Choose ‘Check Challan Status’
- Step 3: Enter your challan number or vehicle number or driving licence (DL) number.
- Step 4: Enter the captcha code and chose ‘Get Detail'.
- Step 5: You will be directed to a page with all violations detail.
- Step 6: Make the payment for the required transaction ID.
Chennai Traffic Police Challan Fees
|Driving in a zone for pedestrians||Rs.300 – Rs.600|
|Disobeying authorities||Rs.300 – Rs.600|
|Driving through a No Entry zone||Rs.2,000 – Rs.5,000|
|Violating standards of air pollution||Rs.400|
|Violating standards of noise control||Rs.100|
|Driving in a harmful manner to the public||Rs.500|
|Over-speeding while driving||Rs.300|
|Violating conditions of a licence||Rs.25,000 – Rs.1 lakh|
|Not wearing seat belts while driving||Rs.1,000|
|Violations done by juveniles||Rs. 25,000 and up to 3-years imprisonment|
|Driving an uninsured vehicle||Rs.2,000|
|Driving oversized vehicles||Rs.5,000|
|Driving without a licence||Rs.5,000|
|Not following traffic orders||Rs.2,000|
|No Registration Certificate while driving||Rs.5,000|
|Violating road regulations and rules||Rs.500|
|Driving 2-wheelers without helmets||Rs.1,000 and 3 months suspension of licence|
How to Pay Traffic Challan Online in Chennai FAQs
What will happen if I do not pay the amount of my e-challan in Chennai?
If you do not pay the E-Challan, a police officer will visit your registered address and collect it. If the payment has still not made, then, then, you will be called to court and justify yourself.
Who has been authorised to collect traffic fines in Chennai?
The Chennai Traffic Police has been authorised to collect fines in Chennai.
How can I check my traffic challan online in Chennai?
You can check your traffic challan by visiting the official website https://echallan.parivahan.gov.in/. You can check for fines and make payments through the website as well.