Before we speak about how to store your driving licence online in DigiLocker, we need to know more about DigiLocker.
The Government of India under the Digital India initiative introduced DigiLocker. This is a “Digital Locker” that citizens can use to save their important official documents on a cloud that is managed by the Indian Government. DigiLocker was introduced to eliminate the need to carry physical documents everywhere. Once a user registers for DigiLocker, he/she will be given 1 GB storage space to save all important documents.
Benefits of saving your driving licence on DigiLocker
- You do not have to carry your driving licence everywhere. You can use your online account to show it anytime if required.
- You do not have to remember the driving licence number. You can retrieve any information pertaining to your DL online.
- If you are applying for any other document like PAN or Voter ID, the respective department can be able to use your driving licence as identity proof by directly accessing it from DigiLocker. You do not have to submit the DL manually.
- Just like your physical DL, your digital driving licence on DigiLocker can also be verified. The officer has to just scan the QR Code on the digital DL or use the QR scan facility on the mobile app to spot verify the document.
Step by Step Process to Upload Documents on DigiLocker
Even though DigiLocker has been active for quite some time, the usage of this application has been quite low due to various reasons. DigiLocker is a one-stop app for all your licensing documents of the vehicle such as your RC and driving license.
Here is a step by step process on how to upload your documents on DigiLocker:
Step 1: Visit the official website of DigiLocker, digilocker.gov.in and sign up using your mobile number.
Step 2: You will receive an OTP with which you can enter your username and create a password for your account.
Step 3: Enter a four-digit MPIN. This PIN will help you for faster logins during any kind of situation.
Step 4: It is important that you link your Aadhaar card with the DigiLocker account. Once you have linked it, you can upload the scanned copy of your driving license and RC.
Step 5: After your Aadhaar is linked, you will be able to access the ‘Pull Partner’s Document’ section on the app.
Step 6: Fill in all the details as required along with your current driving license number.
Step 7: Once you do, in 10 minutes, your driving license will be linked to the app, no matter which state the DL you hold is from.
Your DigiLocker account also can be used to upload a digital copy of your birth certificate, school mark sheets, Aadhaar card, PAN card, and other documents as well.
How to link your driving licence to DigiLocker?
- Visit the official DigiLocker website- digilocker.gov.in.
- You will be asked to sign up if you are a new user. If you haven’t already registered on DigiLocker, please sign up.
- Please note that you cannot sign up if you do not have an Aadhaar card. It is mandatory to give your Aadhar details if you want to use DigiLocker facility.
- Once you have provided your Aadhaar card details and have signed in, please navigate to the “issued Documents” option seen on the left side of the screen.
- Select “Pull Documents”.
- In partner's name, select “Ministry of Road, Transport and Highways, All States”.
- Select 'Driving Licence' in 'Document Type'.
- You will be asked to enter basic details like your name, address, driving licence number, and date of birth. Please fill all the information and proceed.
- Click on “Get Document” and the system will automatically fetch your driving licence.
- Now, your document will be saved in your DigiLocker and you can access it anytime.
You will be allowed to show the digital copy of your DL for all purposes. All government departments can request for your documents online if they want it for administrative purpose. As your driving licence is exchanged online, it saves a lot of time. Haven’t tried DigiLocker yet? Go one and save all your important documents like your Aadhaar, PAN, your educational certificates, and bank account details and you don’t have to carry a bag full of documents anymore. This is very helpful especially if you lose your documents or any other unforeseen situation. You have it all saved in the cloud!