A legal permit that is required to use a vehicle on the road is a Driving License (DL). A DL also confirms that you can drive a vehicle responsibly. Due to the number of individuals who apply for a DL, the procedure to get one may seem tedious. You can avoid long queues at the Regional Transport Office (RTO) by applying for a license online. The process to apply for a license online is simple. However, before you can apply for a DL, you must have a Learner’s License for at least 30 days.
Process to Apply for a Driving License
The procedure to apply for a driving license online is mentioned below:
- Visit https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/.
- Click on ‘Online Services’.
- Click on ‘Driving License Related Services’.
- On the next page, enter the state.
- Click on ‘Apply Online’.
- Choose ‘New Driving License’.
- On the next page, the stages will be mentioned. Click on ‘Continue’.
- Enter the learner’s license number and your date of birth. Click on ‘OK’.
- Next, you will need to fill the application form and submit the documents.
- Next, you will need to choose a date and time to take the test.
- Once the fee is paid, you can download a copy of the receipt.
Once you have passed the test, the driving license will be sent to the registered address. You can check the status of the license online as well.
The eligibility criteria that must be met in order to apply for a driving license are mentioned below:
- You should be at least 18 years old.
- You must have a learner’s license.
- You must know the traffic rules and regulations.
- In the case of commercial vehicles, you must be at least 20 years old.
Application Form – Contents
The different parts of the application form in case you are applying for a car driving license are mentioned below:
You will need to enter details such as your name, address, and age. You will need to provide these details as proof of identity.
You will need to provide the details of the vehicle in this section.
The relevant documents for the information that you have provided will need to be given in this section. You can submit a passport copy.
The medical certificate will need to be provided in this part.
This part needs to be filled in case you are between the ages of 16 years and 18 years. Your parent’s signature will need to be provided in this part as well.
It is vital that accurate information is provided when you fill the application form. You must also submit the relevant documents that support the information that is being provided.