In case you hold a licence for a two-wheeler and are planning to buy a four-wheeler, you will have to add a new class to your existing driving licence. Similarly, individuals with a light motor vehicle licence will have to follow the process of addition of another class if they wish to purchase a two-wheeler.
Process of Adding a New Class to the Driving Licence
If you want to know how to add a new class to your driving licence, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Step 1: First, you have to bring Form 8 from your local Regional Transport Office (RTO) or download it.
- Step 2:Fill in your details to add another class.
- Step 3:A Learner's Licence will be issued to you after which, you will have to submit your original driving licence.
- Step 4:Pay the fees and schedule a date to take the driving test.
- Step 5:Note that the scheduled date is supposed to be between the completion of one month after the issuance of the learner’s licence and prior to finishing six months.
- Step 6:After you pass the driving test, a new class will be added to your driving licence. While the process for adding a new class to the existing driving licence is the same all over India, every state has slight variations in terms of documents and formalities. Therefore, it is advisable to go through your state’s official website to get a clear idea of the documents you will be needing. You can also visit a local RTO Office to know the exact requirements for adding a new class.
Documents Required to Add a New Class to the Driving Licence
Form 8 is an important document required for the addition of a new category to your existing driving licence. This form has two sections, the first part comprises your personal information along with the class of vehicle.
The second section has a driving test certificate which will be signed by the testing authority after you complete the test. The following options are available for adding a new class to the driving licence.
- Light motor vehicle
- Motor cycle with gear
- Motor cycle without gear
- Invalid carriage
- Road roller
- Medium passengers motor vehicle
- Heavy passengers motor vehicle
- Heavy goods vehicle
- Medium goods vehicle
The following documents are required to add a new class to the driving licence:
- Learner’s licence
- Medical certificate
- Driving certificate in Form 5 (for transport vehicle)
- Driving licence
In addition to these documents, you will also have to specify the fees you paid for the application.
FAQs on Adding a New Category to the Driving Licence
- What documents will I require to add a new class to my driving licence?
- What is Form 8?
- When can I schedule a driving test?
- I have a driving licence. Do I need to apply for a learner’s licence for addition of another class of vehicle?
- I have a valid learner’s licence for a class of vehicle. Will I have to apply for a learner’s licence again for another class?
To add a new class, you will need a medical certificate, a learner’s licence, a copy of your driving licence and Form 5 in case you want to apply for a transport vehicle.
The Form 8 is an essential document required for adding a new class of vehicle to your existing driving licence.
You can schedule a driving test in the time period between one month post getting a learner’s licence and prior to completing six months.
Yes, you have to apply for a learner's licence to add a new class to your existing driving licence.
No, you can specify the class of vehicle you want to apply for in the existing learner’s licence.