According to the Motor Vehicle Act 2019, it is mandatory for a vehicle owner to drive with an insurance policy. An automobile insurance policy protects you from potential financial risks like accidents, theft or damages. Therefore, you should buy an insurance policy that will cover your vehicle financially against losses.
Penalty for Driving without a Motor Insurance
If you are caught driving without holding motor insurance, you will be charged a penalty. According to Indian law, a fine of Rs.2,000 will be incurred and imprisonment of up to three months. As per the old provision, Rs.1,000 was charged for driving without insurance.
For the second offence, a penalty of Rs.4,000 will be imposed along with imprisonment of up to three months as per the discretion of law. Thus, all vehicles without an insurance policy will be subject to a fine.
Consequences of Driving without a Motor Insurance
In case you are caught driving without insurance by the traffic police, you will be asked to present your vehicle documents like your driving licence and registration certificate. A challan will be issued by the traffic police officer which can be paid both online and offline.
To pay the fine online, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Step 1: Visit the official website of your state’s transport department.
- Step 2: Now, go to the ‘traffic violation payment’ or ‘e-challan’ section.
- Step 3: Provide required details regarding the traffic violation such as challan number, vehicle number etc.
- Step 4: After you fill in the details, enter the captcha code.
- Step 5: You can pay the penalty fee through digital wallets, credit card or debit card.
- Step 6: Lastly, you will receive a receipt along with a confirmation message.
To make the payment offline, visit your nearest traffic police station.
Points to Remember to Avoid Fine for Driving without Insurance
Here are some points to keep in mind in order to avoid penalties for driving without an insurance policy.
- Make sure that you always keep a hard copy as well as a soft copy of vehicle documents like registration certificate, driving licence and pollution certificate.
- Keep a track of your insurance policy’s renewal.
- Purchase a third-party liability policy because heavy fines are imposed for accidentally causing injuries to people in road accidents.
FAQs on Fine for Driving without Insurance
- What is the fine for the first offence for driving without insurance?
- Can I pay the fine online?
- Is the penalty for driving without insurance same for all vehicles?
The fine for the first offence for driving without an insurance policy is Rs.2,000.
Yes, you can pay the fine via debit card, credit card and digital wallets.
Yes, all vehicles attract the same fine for driving without insurance.