One of the biggest pillars of a democratic government is the system of voting without which democracy as a concept will not exist. All citizens of India above the age of 18 can vote and this is their fundamental right. However, in order to vote, apart from being eligible to do so, they must also have a Voter ID. A Voter card is a legal document issued by the Election Commission of India and primarily serves as identity proof while casting votes. This document can also be used for other purposes such as address proof as well. All Indian citizens above the age of 18 can procure this document.
Voter ID is also known as Electoral Photo ID Card or EPIC in short. Customers can apply for the same either online or offline. There are, however, exceptions with respect to people who are allowed to vote. Mentally unstable and bankrupt citizens of the country will not be allowed to vote. Also, if individuals change their residential address and there is change in constituency, then the previous Voter ID will be void and new one will have to be procured. This article elaborates on the various steps that need to be taken in order to procure a Voter ID in the state of Punjab.How to Apply Voter ID in Chandigarh
All about Color Voter Card Punjab
|Color Voter Card Punjab||Apply for Voter ID Card in Punjab||How to track status in Punjab||Duplicate Voter ID Punjab|
|Process of Voter ID Correction||Change Address in Voter ID Online||Punjab election - 2017||Election Commission of Punjab|
Voter IDs were generally black and white, laminated and contained details of the individual’s Name, Age, Address, a photograph, a stamped signature of the authority issuing it, hologram sticker and a serial number. However, today, colour IDs are also available for individuals. In order to procure one, they will have to follow the steps provided below -
- Individuals will have to visit the Electoral Officer’s Website in their State
- They will then have to click on the respective link to register for new PVC Voter ID
- Required photographs and documents (if needed) will have to be submitted
- Individuals will receive a verification code on their mobile phones which will have to be provided
- Updates will be sent via SMS and the new Voter ID will be sent through post
Steps to Apply for Voter ID Card in Punjab
Individuals can apply for a Voter ID in Punjab both online and offline.
Apply for Voter ID Online:
- If customers wish to apply online, they will have to visit the official website of the Chief Electoral Officer of Punjab and click on the link titled ‘Forms’.
- Individuals will have to download Form 6 which is for the inclusion of their name in the electoral roll and take a print out of it.
- Individuals will have to fill in the form with all required details such as name, address and other necessary requirements and provide all documents.
- A colour photograph against a white background will also have to be provided.
- Once the form has been filled and all documents have been attached, it will have to be sent to the Electoral Registration Officer in the area.
- Applicants can expect a visit from an official to verify all their documents and will receive their ID shortly.
Apply for Voter ID Offline:
In case individuals wish to apply offline, they will have to follow the steps provided below -
- Individuals will have to procure Form 6 which is meant to include their name into the electoral roll and fill it by providing all relevant details.
- A passport size colour photograph taken against a white background must be given along with all supporting documents.
- The above must be submitted to the closest Electoral Registration Office.
- Applicants can expect a visit from Booth Level Officers for verification and once this is done, individuals will receive their Voter ID after a few days/weeks.
There are also regular drives that are being conducted throughout Punjab. Information regarding this will be provided by the media.
How to track status in Punjab
Tracking Voter ID Status Online
To check if your name has been included in the electoral rolls, you can follow the steps given below.
- Visit the Punjab CEO website(http://ceopunjab.nic.in/).
- Click on “Search your vote”.
- On the map, click on your district.
- You can then view the details of your constituency.
- You can download the Electoral roll in PDF format
- Or you can click on “Search”.
Enter your details:
- Father/Husband name
- House number
- Identity card number
- Enter the Captcha code and click on “Search”.
Tracking Voter ID status via SMS
To get your Voter ID details, you can send the following SMS to 7738299899.
- CEOPJB voter ID number
Calling on the Dedicated ECI Helpline Number
You can call the ECI Helpline number 1950 toll free. The helpline is available on all working days between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm.
How to Apply for Duplicate Voter ID in Punjab
In case individuals have damaged or lost their Voter ID, they can apply for a duplicate Voter ID by following the steps mentioned below -
- Individuals will have to first visit their local police station and file a police complaint as an FIR is necessary in order to procure a duplicate Voter ID.
- Necessary details such as Voter ID number, Name, Address and so on will have to be provided.
- Individuals will then have to avail Form 002 which is available on the website of the Election Commission of India and ill in the required details.
- Individuals will also have to deposit Rs. 25.
- Address and Identity proof must also be given along with Form 002.
- The above documents must be given to the closest Election Commission Office which will then be reviewed and a new Voter ID will be sent directly to the applicants.
Process of Voter ID Correction in Punjab
In case there is a mistake regarding any of the details in the Voter ID, individuals can get it rectified either online or offline.
- In case individuals wish to correct certain details mentioned in their Voter ID such as name, sex and so on, they will have to download Form 8 from the official website of the Chief Electoral Officer of Punjab.
- This form will have to be filled and relevant details and proofs will have to be provided. For eg., if there is a mistake in the name of the individual then apart from mentioning the detail to be corrected, he/she must also provide proof such as 10th Std Marks card or Passport.
- This form must then submitted to the nearest Election Commission Office. Once documents have been verified, individuals will receive their corrected Voter ID.
- In case individuals do not wish to take the online route, then they can apply for a correction offline as well. They will have to procure Form 8, fill it and provide necessary KYC details along with a passport size photograph taken against a white background.
- The above must be submitted to the nearest Election Commission Office post which verification will be done and the corrected Voter ID will be sent to the applicant.
Steps to Change Address in Voter ID Online in Punjab
If individuals have shifted their address from one place to another in the same constituency, they can change the address in their Voter ID by following the steps mentioned below-
- Individuals will have to visit the official website of the Chief Electoral Official of Punjab and download Form 8A and fill it in.
- Necessary supporting documents such as proof of new address must be provided and a declaration will have to be signed. Once this is done, details will be verified and corrected Voter ID will be sent to the applicants.
- If individuals wish to change their address on their Voter ID, they will have to avail Form 8A, fill in the details, provide supporting details and submit it to the nearest Election Commission Office.
- Once details are verified, individuals will receive their rectified Voter ID.
CEO, Punjab or Chief Electoral Officer Punjab operates under the control and supervision of the Election Commission of India. The aim of the website of CEO, Punjab is to increase the communication between Election Department of Punjab and the voters of Punjab.
Electoral Roll 2017-2018:(Ceo Punjab nic in voter list)
- Go to the official website of CEO, Punjab.
- Scroll down and you will find a link that says ‘Search your vote’ on the left side of the screen.
- When you click on it, you will be redirected to a page called Electoral Rolls.
- Under this particular heading, you will find Punjab’s map and all the districts will be marked.
- Select your district on the map and click on it.
- On clicking, the names of the Assembly Constituencies will be shown to you.
- Click on your Assembly Constituency.
- You will find two options on this page - ‘Electoral Rolls pdf’ and ‘Search’.
Voter List Punjab 2019 - Searching by name:
You must follow all the steps mentioned above to reach this step. To search your name on the voter list 2019, you will have to follow the steps below:
- Click on the button that says ‘Search’.
- A new page will be opened where you must select your areas, enter your father’s name or your husband’s name, your name, house number, age and ID card number.
- Click on ‘Search’ after you have filled up all the information.
- If your name is there on this, all the details will be displayed on the screen.
CEO Punjab Voter List 2018 PDF download process:
- Click on the button that says ‘Electoral Rolls PDF’.
- You will be redirected to a new page that will display a table divided on the basis of Polling Station Building and Areas Covered.
- Keep scrolling till you find the area you are looking for.
- Once you find your area, click on the link beside it that says ‘Voter List’.
- This PDF file that you download will contain all the names of the eligible voters.
Note: The PDF that you download will be in Punjabi language.
Documents that can be accepted as the elector’s DOB proof and address proof:
Proof of date of birth – The following documents can be accepted as date of birth proof:
- Birth certificate issued by the Municipal Authorities.
- Birth certificate from the applicant’s last attended school.
- Mark sheet of class 10.
Address proof – Applicant’s ration card, DL, electricity bills, gas connection, telephone bills, etc.
Search for Polling Station and Assembly:
In order to search the polling station, the steps mentioned below must be followed:
- The voter must go to the official website of CEO, Punjab.
- On the search tool, name of the town or village has to be entered.
- In the next box, the street/locality/ward has to be entered.
- A captcha code will be provided which must be entered correctly in the box provided there.
- After all of this is done, clicking on the search button will produce the desired result.
Under this particular section, you will find Your Rights, all the inclusions, modifications and deletions of names on the electoral roll, your duties and ways in which you are expected to cooperate.
What is the most effective way to apply for Voter ID on the website of CEO Punjab?
Let us know about the orderly method for making the online application for the Voter ID card on the official website of CEO Punjab:
- At first, go to the official website of CEO Punjab.
- There you will find an option that says ‘Enrol Your Name for Voter ID Card’.
- Click on this particular option and you will be redirected to a section where you will have to login. In case you do not have your login ID, click on register.
- The registration page will then send you to another section where you must fill up details like email ID, phone number, etc.
- Enter the code that appears on the screen. It is mandatory to enter all the information if you wish to proceed with the application.
- Click on Register.
- Post this step, you will get an SMS from the ECI department for getting back to the main page. There you will have to login using specific information like username and password. Other personal information that is required for setting up your login ID are name, postal address, father’s name, contact details, etc.
- Enter the website by logging in and choose the Form 6 option. Fill up the application for a new voter ID card. Along with the application, take printout of all the required documents.
- Go to the nearest polling booth and submit your application’s hard copy. Collect the acknowledgment slip as you will need at at the time of collecting your Voter ID card.
Punjab Elections 2019
The Lok Sabha elections of 2019 in Punjab will be held in a single phase on 29th of April. The results of the Lok Sabha elections in 2014 in Punjab were as follows:
|Name of political party||Number of seats won|
|Indian National Congress (INC)||3|
|Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD)||4|
|Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)||2|
|Aam Aadmi Party (AAP)||4|
Facts about politics in Punjab
In the legislative assembly elections that were held recently, Indian National Congress gained clear majority and formed the government. Traditionally, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) have dominated the political scene in Punjab with Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) being the new entrants.
Chief minister of Punjab
The current chief minister of Punjab is Captain Amrinder Singh of the Indian National Congress (INC).
Election commissioner of Punjab
The current chief election commissioner of Punjab is VK Singh.
Punjab Election 2017
The Punjab Assembly Elections was held on 4 February 2017. The candidates contested for 117 total seats out of which 59 were major seats. The major parties that contested against each other in this elections were the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), The Congress Party, and the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP). For many years, the BJP and Congress Party were the only two contesting parties in Punjab. However, in the 2017 Punjab Assembly Elections, Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) also became a significant party. The last day for the nomination was this election was 18 January 2017. The nominations were scrutinized on 19 January 2017. The last date for nomination withdrawal was 21 January 2017. The Punjab Assembly Elections was conducted in one phase and the counting of votes was made on 11 March 2017.
Facts Related to Punjab Politics:
|Ruling Party||Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) - BJP Alliance|
|Chief Minister||Shri. Parkash Singh Badal|
|Opposition Party||Indian National Congress|
|Governor||Shri V.P. Singh Badnore|
|Chief Electoral Officer||Shri V.K Singh, I.A.S.|
Chief Minister of Punjab - 2017
The Congress Party won the 2017 Punjab Assembly Elections by bagging 77 seats out of 117 seats. The BJP managed to win only 18 seats, whereas, the AAP got 20 seats. The Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal The Shiromani Akali Dal party was preceded by Amarinder Singh from the Congress Party. V.K Singh was the Chief Electoral Officer, B Sarkar was the Secretary, Manjit Singh Narang was the Additional Chief Electoral Officer, Sukhdev Lal was the Deputy Chief Electoral Officer, and Yadvinder Singh Bhalla was the Electoral Officer.
Election Commission of Punjab
The Election Commission of Punjab is responsible for preparing for the elections in the State of Punjab and conducting them. It has to make sure that the elections are conducted fairly and peacefully.
Mentioned below are names of some of the officers who work for the Election Commission of Punjab.
|V.K Singh||Chief Electoral Officer|
|B Sarkar||Secretary Elections|
|Manjit Singh Narang||Additional Chief Electoral Officer|
|Sukhdev Lal||Deputy Chief Electoral Officer|
|Yadvinder Singh Bhalla||Electoral Officer|
Note - The officers may be changed at any time by the Government.
The NRIs who wish to vote in the Indian elections must be registered first. According to the amendment of Representation of People’s Act, to be eligible to get registered as Indian voters, all electors overseas who do not reside at their Indian address and have not got citizenship from any other country have the right to get registered under the Indian electoral roll. They will be registered under the constituency as per the address mentioned on his/her passport.
The steps to complete the NRI Registration process are as follows:
- Question - Are you an Indian citizen staying outside India and hold an Indian Passport?
- Question - Does your Indian Passport have an address?
- Do you have Form 6A? If not, download it and get it printed.
- Provide one passport size photography and photocopy of passport.
The recent foreign country visa that is there on your passport. If you have any of the following documents, attach them with your application:
- Permanent Resident Card – Australia, Canada and New Zealand.
- Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) – USA residents.
- Permanent Identify Card – Hong Kong residents.
- Permanent Resident Identity Card – Macau residents.
- MyKad Card or My PRCard – Malaysia residents.
- Red Photo ID card – Slovakia residents.
- Blue Photo ID card – Singapore residents.
- Yellow Photo ID card – Switzerland residents.
- Follow the guidelines to fill up Form 6A and check if you have all the required documents.
After you have submitted the application, the Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) receives your application. Verification of the form and all the other documents takes 7 days to get completed. The completion notification will be sent to the applicant via post/SMS/email. You can go to ceopunjab.nic.in to find out the Electoral Roll list.
|Know more about : NRI Voter ID Card|
FAQs on Voter ID and Election Commission of Punjab
What is the difference between State Assembly Election and General Election?
The State Assembly Elections are held in every state of India once in every 5 years. This election is conducted to select members of the Legislative Assembly for the state and the party that wins the highest number of votes has to form a government in the state. The ruling party has to choose a candidate for the post of Chief Minister (head of the state).
General Elections are held once in every 5 years to select the members of the Parliament. This election is conducted to choose the Prime Minister (head of the country).
Who can vote in India?
Any Indian who is 18 years old or above can vote in India.
When can I register myself as a voter?
If you turn 18 years old by or before the 1st January of the election year, then you can enrol yourself as a voter. But, if you have turned 18 years old in the middle of a year, you can register only on the 1st January or after that whenever the electoral roll is being revised or prepared.
Can non-citizens of India vote during the State Assembly Election?
No, non-citizens of India are not allowed to vote during the State Assembly Election.
Can I check the voter list of Punjab online?
Yes, you can check the voter list online on the website of the Chief Electoral Officer of Punjab.
Can I register myself as a voter card online punjab?
Yes, you can register yourself as a voter online using the National Voters’ Services Portal.
How do I track my enrolment status?
You can track your enrolment status on the website of the Election Commission.
Who is the present Chief Electoral Officer of Punjab?
The present Chief Electoral Officer of Punjab is V.K Singh.
How many Assembly Constituencies are there in Punjab?
There are around 117 Assembly Constituencies in Punjab.
Which party is currently in power in Punjab?
The Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) is currently in power in Punjab. The SAD has an alliance with the Bharatiya Janata Party.