The Indian Voter ID card is a document issued by the Electoral Commission of India. It acts as an identity proof while casting votes in Elections. The ID card also acts as a general identity proof, address proof and age proof for purposes other than casting votes. The Voter ID card is also known as Electoral Photo ID card.
The initial Voter ID card was black and white in colour and was the size of a bank card. It is a laminated plastic card that contains the photo, name, address and date of birth of the card holder. It also contains a hologram sticker, a unique serial number and a stamped signature of the issuing authority. Any Indian citizen who is above the age of 18 and is qualified to be a voter can obtain the Voter ID card.
Color Voter ID
In order to rectify the mistakes in the old Voter ID card, the Election Commission of India is issuing a new Colour Voter ID card. The Colour Voter ID card will be issued to voters who have registered for new IDs and also to those who have applied for a correction in their old Voter ID card. Individuals who want to replace their old black and white Voter ID card for a Colour Voter ID card can do so by paying an additional fee of Rs.30 at the registration centre of their city or district.The photograph in the old Voter ID card was in black and white but the new Voter ID will contain the voter’s photograph in color.
How to Get Color Voter ID Card in India
Listed below are the steps to be followed in order to get a Color Voter ID
- Visit the official website of your state
- Click on the link specified for the registration of new PVC Voter ID
- Enter the required details along with your mobile number
- Upload your photograph
- Submit the details
- A verification code will be sent to the mobile number mentioned
- Enter the code in the box specified for it
- The site will send a identity code for your respective voter card
- You will receive updates through SMS
- The voter card will be sent to your house post within 45 to 60 days
One can also apply for the Colour Voter ID card offline through MEE seva or Eseva offices. The applicant just has to pay a mere fee of Rs.30 in order to get the new ID card in colour.
Colour Voter ID FAQ’s
- What is a colour voter ID card?
A colour voter ID card is a new initiative by the Election Commission of India where voters will be issued with coloured voter ID cards.
- What is the information printed on a colour voter ID card?
A colour voter ID card contains the holder’s full name, address, photograph, constituency and date of birth along with a hologram and unique serial number.
- What are the documents to be submitted by existing voter ID card holders for a colour voter ID card?
Existing voters who wish to apply for a colour voter ID card have to merely provide their photograph as well as the necessary documents as per the specifications mentioned on the website of each state’s respective Election Commission website.
A fee of Rs. 30 is to be paid towards the colour voter ID.
- Can I apply for a colour voter ID card offline?
Yes, you can apply for a colour voter ID card offline by visiting your nearest e-Seva office or MEE Seva office and submitting an application for a colour voter ID card. Upon payment of the fee and submission of the necessary documents you will receive your voter ID card once your application has been processed.
- What is the difference between the old voter’s ID card and the new colour voter’s ID card?
In addition to the new voter ID card being printed in colour instead of black and white, the new voter ID card will be printed on plastic.
- What are the documents to be submitted when applying for a new colour voter ID card?
The following documents are to be submitted when applying for a new colour voter ID card:
- Proof of address.
- Proof of age (for applicants between the ages of 18 and 21 years).
- Photographs as per the specification mentioned on the website.
- How long will it take for my colour voter ID card to be processed?
It generally takes between 45-60 days for the colour voter ID cards to reach applicant’s homes once the documents have been submitted.