The Election Commission of India conducts elections within the country and the Electoral Process commences once the Election Commission has declared the dates. Any individual who is an Indian citizen and has attained 18 years of age is eligible to vote in the elections. However, eligible candidates will not be allowed to cast their vote if their name does not appear in the electoral roll. As such, a Voter’s ID becomes an instrumental document for anyone who wish to vote in the elections.
A Voter ID is issued by the Election Commission of India and not only does it grant access to individuals who would like to cast their votes in an election, but it also serves as proof of identity, address as well as age, making it crucial for all Indian citizens above 18 years of age to apply for and avail the same.
Eligibility Criteria To Get EPIC
All Indian citizens who have attained the age of 18 can apply for their Elector Photo Identity Card. Applicants must be 18 years or older on the 1st of January of the year in which the electoral roll is being revised.
How to register for Colour Voter ID Chennai
Following are the steps through which you can avail a colour Voter ID in Chennai:
- Visit the official website of Chennai.
- Choose the link for the registration of new PVC Voter ID.
- Enter the necessary details in addition to your mobile number.
- Upload your photograph where requested.
- Furnish the data by choosing the ‘Submit’ option.
- You will receive a verification code on your registered mobile number once you have submitted your details.
- Enter the code in the specified box.
- An identity code will then be sent for your colour Voter ID.
- SMS updates will be sent on your registered mobile number.
- You will receive your new Voter ID via post within 45 to 60 days.
How to Apply for Voter ID Online in Chennai
The Chief Electoral Officer, Chennai, is designated with the responsibility to approve / deny the application for Voter IDs in Chennai. Following are the steps through which you can apply for and avail a Voter ID in Chennai:
- Visit the official Chief Electoral Officer website of Chennai.
- Sign up with your name, phone number and email address.
- A unique username and password will be sent to your registered mobile number.
- The username and password must be used to login to the site.
- Look for Form 6 and enter the necessary details before choosing the ‘Submit’ option.
How to Fill Up Form 6 during Voter ID Application
- In case your name has never appeared in the electoral roll, you will have to select the option which says “My name is not include in the enrolled list before”, after which you will have to select the Assembly Constituency to which you belong.
- After choosing the constituency, you will have to choose your relatives who have already been enrolled in the voter list.
- In case any family member has not been include in the list, you will have to add their name in the space provided and ensure that all details are filled in accurately.
- After filling up the form completely, you will have to upload your photo and the site will then display all the information you have provided along with your photo.
After filling up the form, make sure that you take a print out and send the same to the nearest Election Commission Office as the officers are required to fill up Section 2 of the form before they can post it back to your residential address.
How to Apply for Voter ID Offline in Chennai
Individuals who wish to take the offline route to avail a Voter ID in Chennai have the option to do so by following these simple steps:
- Download the relevant application form from the options mentioned below:
- Form 6 - Application for inclusion of name in electoral roll after the draft publication of roll.
- Form 7 - Application form for objection to include a name in electoral roll.
- Form 8 - Application form for correction of details in electoral roll.
- Form 8 A - Application form for transposition of an entry in the electoral roll.
- Submit the requested KYC documents when furnishing Form 6.
- You will be required to visit the closest Electoral Registration Office in Chennai and physically furnish the documents.
- If the documents you have submitted are approved and verified, the Booth Level Officers (BLOs) will visit your residence to verify the accuracy of information you have provided in the form.
Documents required for Voter ID card registration in Chennai
Following is a list of documents to be submitted when applying for a Voter ID in Chennai:
Address proof (Any one of the following)
- Electricity bill
- Water bill
- Telephone bill
- Bank passbook
- Driving license
- Ration card
Age proof (Any one of the following)
- 10th grade certificate
- Birth certificate
- PAN Card
- Driving License
- Aadhaar card
- Senior citizen card
- 2 recent passport size photographs
Track Voter ID Card Status Online in Chennai
After you have filled in the application and submitted it, you can track its status online at the Chennai Electoral Commission’s website. Following are the steps through which you can track your Voter ID status online:
- Visit the official Chief Electoral Officer website of Chennai.
- Select the “Electoral Services” option on the home page.
- Under Electoral Services, choose the option that says “Application Tracking”.
- After selecting the option, the status of your application can be tracked using your mobile number or the application number.
- If your application has been approved and verified, the Booth Level Officers (BLOs) will visit your residence to verify the accuracy of information you have provided, after which you will receive your Voter ID.
How to Apply for Duplicate Voter ID in Chennai
Since your Voter ID is an essential ID and address proof, it is instrumental to notify the police in case it is misplaced or lost. Once you have notified the police, you can make an application for a duplicate Voter ID card. Following are the steps that will help you make an application for a duplicate Voter ID in Chennai:
- Visit the nearest police station and lodge a complaint.
- File a First Information Report to apply for a duplicate voter ID card.
- A letter disclosing the loss of your voter ID card must be submitted at the police station and it must contain details regarding the manner in which it was lost.
- Make sure that details related to your Voter ID are included in the letter.
- Form 002, which is issued by the Election Commission of India, must be filled in once you have filed the FIR.
- Additional KYC documents such as ID and address proof must be furnished along with Form 002.
- All the documents must be furnished at the closest Election Commission Office.
- The authorities will take a week or so to review your application after which the new Voter ID will be sent via post to your residential address.
How to get Corrections / Changes made to Voter ID Cards Online in Chennai
It is essential to ensure that the information present in your Voter ID card is accurate. Should there be any discrepancies in the same, it is relatively easy to make changes. Following are the steps you can follow to get corrections / changes made to your Voter ID card online in Chennai:
- Visit the website of Chief Electoral Officer of Chennai.
- Choose “Electoral Services” from the options listed in the homepage.
- From the menu that appears, choose “Apply for Correction”.
- Form 8 will have to be filled up after applying for correction.
- The Electoral Photo Identity Card (EPIC) number must then be entered.
- Information regarding the corrections you wish to make must then be mentioned. Specify what areas the corrections are to be made in: your name, your parent / spouse’s name, date of birth, or photo. Your email address and mobile number can also be linked to your Voter ID through this page.
- In case you wish to make corrections to your address, make sure that you enter your new address as well as your old one.
- Supporting documents must be uploaded as required and a declaration will have to be signed prior to submitting the application for change in address.
Following the submission of the form, the application will be reviewed and the corrected version of your Voter ID card will be mailed to your residential address.
How to get Corrections / Changes made to Voter ID Cards Offline in Chennai
If you wish to make corrections to your Voter ID card via the offline route, following are the steps to follow:
- Download Form 8 online or visit the closest Election Commission office to collect the same.
- Fill up the form with corrections you wish to make to the details in your Voter ID card and sign it.
- KYC documents and photographs can be submitted to support the change you have proposed.
- Furnish the documents as required for verification.
- Form 8 along with all the supporting documents must be furnished at the closest Election Commission Office.
- The original copy of your existing Voter ID card should also be submitted in the Election Commission Office.
- It will take a week for your application to be reviewed after which you will receive a corrected Voter ID card.
Also Know: Today's Gold Rate in Chennai