Aadhaar is a unique identification proof that consists of a 12 digit unique identity number that is issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India. Aadhaar card consists of demographic and biometric details of an individual along with the 12 digit unique identification number and serves as a proof of identity. The Government has also made provisions for the Aadhaar card to be linked to bank accounts, PAN, bank accounts and even Income Tax Returns. The Income Tax Department has offered the chance to verify and sign your Income Tax Return via Aadhaar card. This article will give a detailed explanation on how to link your Aadhaar card to your Income Tax Returns.
Procedure to link Aadhaar card with Income Tax Returns (ITR) :
Given below is the procedure to be followed in order to link your Aadhaar to your Income Tax Returns:
- Visit the website http://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/.
- Login with username and password.
- Choose the option “Profile settings” on the home page.
- Choose the option “Link Aadhaar”.
- Enter Aadhaar details.
- Choose the option “Link now”.
- Verify your Aadhaar details with PAN data.
- Choose one of the below mentioned options in order to verify your Income Tax Return.
- If you already have an EVC and want to submit an EVC.
- If you do not have EVC and would like to generate EVC.
- If you want to generate Aadhaar OTP to e-verify your return.
- If you want to e-verify later or want to send ITR-V.
- The taxpayer has to select option number 3 in this case and once the option is selected a One Time Password would be sent to the mobile number registered by the taxpayer.
- The OTP sent to the mobile number can be used to e-verify the uploaded return.
- The portal will display the message “Return successfully e-verified. Download the acknowledgement.”.
How to verify the Income Tax Return (ITR) through Net Banking?
The taxpayer has to login to the e-filing portal through Net Banking in order to verify Income Tax Return through Net Banking. On uploading the return, the taxpayer will be presented with three options:
- If you want to verify your e-return at that moment.
- If you want to generate Aadhaar OTP to verify your e-return.
- If you want to e-verify later.
The taxpayer has to choose the first option and the acknowledge will be displayed. No further action is necessary as the taxpayer has already filed the Income Tax Returns Net Banking portal.