The Income tax login process and the filing of tax returns have become easier. It is now compulsory on part of the taxpayers to register themselves under the IT department and file their income tax online.
Note: You can now file your taxes through the New income tax portal. The New portal comes with a plethora of features and is designed to ease the tax filing process.
The Advent of digitisation has made our lives faster and easier. Earlier, taxpayers could file their income tax returns offline. However, the e-filing of income tax has been made compulsory now and a taxpayer is required to be registered under the Income Tax Department website for the same.
For taxpayers not covered by audit, the last date of filing their income tax returns is 30 September 2021. The earlier date of filing was 31 July 2021. For those who are covered by audit, the last of filing income tax returns is 30 November 2021. For transfer pricing cases the last date is 31 December 2021. The last date to file a revised or belated return can be filed by 31 January 2022.
The last date to produce the audit report is extended to 31 October 2021. For transfer pricing cases, the audit report is to be furnished by 30 November 2021.
Senior citizens aged 75 years and above will be exempted from filing their income tax returns provided they only earn pension and interest income.
Steps to Login Income Tax Portal
Once an individual is successfully registered on the Income Tax Department Portal, he/she can use the Income tax login credentials to log in to the portal. The steps mentioned below are to be followed to log in to the ITD portal:
- Step 1: Visit the official Income Tax Department Portal at https://www.incometax.gov.in/ and Click on the ‘Login Here’ option on the homepage.
- Step 2: The user will be redirected to a new webpage. On this page, the user will be required to fill up his/her User ID. You must note that your PAN number is your user id.
- Step 3: Click on ‘Continue’, and proceed to Enter your password and confirm your secure access message.
In order to be able to file your income tax returns (ITR) on the Income Tax Department Portal, before login you will be required to register yourself on the official website.
Documents required for registration process on Income Tax Portal
An individual is required to register on the Income Tax Department (ITD) website before he or she can start using the services offered on the website. The following documents are required for the registration process:
- Permanent Account Number (PAN)
- An active mobile number which needs to be registered
- A valid email account which needs to be registered
- Proof of Address
Step-by-Step Guide on Registering on the Income Tax Website
Once all the required documents are taken care of, the individual will be required to follow the steps that are mentioned below to register on the website.
- Step 1: Visit the official Income Tax Department Portal- https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal/ and click on the ‘Register’ Yourself’ tab.
- Step 2: Enter your PAN number and click on ‘validate’. Then select 'Yes' and Click on ‘Continue’.
- Step 3: Enter your basic details such as your name, surname, date of birth, etc. You will also have to select your gender and residential status.
- Step 4: Provide your Email ID, Mobile Number, complete postal address and then click on ‘Continue’.
- Step 5: After the Registration Form is filled up, the individual will be required to verify the registration. This is the third and final stage of the registration process.
- Step 6: The individual will be required to feed the 6-digit One Time Password (OTP) that is sent to the registered mobile number and email ID.
- Step 7:Upon completion of this entire process, the registration process will be completed.
- Step 8: Once you have verified the OTP, a new window will open where you will have to verify the details and ensure they are correct. In case of any error, you can rectify it there. In case there is rectification, you will have to validate it by entering a new OTP sent to your mobile number and email ID.
- Step 9: Once all the details have been verified, you will have to set up a password and secure login message.
- Step 10: Click on ‘Register’, following which you will receive an acknowledgment message stating that your registration is successful.
FAQs on Income Tax Login
1. What is the username for income tax login?
Your PAN number is your username for income tax login.
2. Can I login to my income tax account without password?
No, you cannot login to your income tax account without password.
3. Can I use my Aadhaar Card to login to my income tax account?
Yes, you can use your Aadhaar Card to login to your income tax account provided it is linked to your PAN.
4. Can I login to my income tax account through net banking?
Yes, you can login to your income tax account through net banking provided your bank provides the facility. Most of the top banks in India offer this facility to their customers.
5. How to login with DSC in income tax website?
You can either login through net banking or by directly logging in to your income tax e-filling portal on www.https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal/.