• Breakup of EPF Contribution

    12% of the basic salary is contributed by salaried individuals and the other 12% is contributed by the employer. A total of 24% of your salary is contributed each month. This contribution creates good corpus and aims to make and individual financially secure after his or her retirement.


    Employees’ Provident Fund is the popular investment option availed by the salaried individuals. This is maintained by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organization of India. Any company over 20 employees is required by law to register with EPFO. This is a retirement benefit scheme that is available to the salaried individuals.

    The employees can save a fraction of their salary every month that can be utilized by him/her in the event that he/she is not able to work or on his/her retirement. EPF is a long term investment option that is designed to help the salaried employees after retirement. The fund collected in EPF is through the contribution by the employee and the employer. This amount is deposited at the Employee Provident Fund Organization.

    Breakup of EPF Contribution

    • 12% of the employee’s salary goes towards the EPF.
    • Whereas the employer’s contribution is divided as below:
    1. 3.67% goes towards contribution for EPF
    2. 8.33% goes towards contribution for EPS
    3. 0.5% goes towards contribution for EDLI
    4. 1.1% goes towards contribution for EPF administration charges
    5. 0.01% goes towards contribution for EDLI administration charges

    Therefore, the employer contribution is 13.61%. The premium and management charges are borne by the employer and the maximum limit is set at 0.5% of Rs.15,000.

    The EPF contribution can be offered at 10% rate, if:

    • Any establishment that has less than 20 employees.
    • Any sick unit that has been declared as sick by the Board for Industrial and Financial Reconstruction.
    • Any establishment that has accumulated losses equal to or exceeding its net worth.
    • Establishments in jute industry, beedi industry, coir industry and Guar gum factory.

    Contribution for EPF

    • The contributions are payable on a maximum wage ceiling of Rs.6,500 by both employee and employer.
    • Employee can pay a higher rate but employer is not under any obligation to pay such higher rates.
    • In order to pay contribution on higher wages, you are required to submit a joint request from employer and employee. Employer will have to pay administrative charges in higher wages.
    • If the employee is an international worker, wage ceiling of Rs.6,500 is not applicable.

    Contribution for EPS

    • Here the contribution is made out of the employer’s share of PF. Employee has to make no contributions.
    • The pension contribution is not to be paid if the employee crosses 58 years of age and is in service. If the EPS pensioner is drawing reduced pension and re-joins as an employee, the pension contribution is at 8.33% that is to be added to the employer share of PF.
    • In other cases, pension contribution is payable. If a member joins after the age of 50 years, and he or she does not have a choice of not getting the pension contribution as they may not complete 10 years of eligible service. The social security cover is applicable till he or she is a member.
    • If the employee is an international worker, wage ceiling of Rs.6,500 is not applicable.

    Contribution for EDLI

    • Contribution is to be paid on up to the maximum wage ceiling of Rs.6,500.
    • EDLI contribution is not payable if the employee crosses 58 years of age. The contribution is paid as long as the member is in service and as long as the PF is being paid.

    Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.

    This Page is BLOCKED as it is using Iframes.