1. What is the passport fee in India?
The passport fees in India differs based on the type of application an applicant submits. The all-inclusive fees for a passport are as follows:
- A fresh passport with a validity of 10 years (36 pages) – Rs.1,000
- A fresh passport with a validity of 10 years (60 pages) – Rs.1,500
- A fresh passport with a validity of 5 years for a minor (below 5 years) – Rs.600
- Re-applying for a new passport if the old one was damaged/lost (36 pages) – Rs.2,500
- Re-applying for a new passport if the old one was damaged/lost (60 pages) – Rs.3,000
- India-Sri Lanka passport or India-Bangladesh passport with a validity of 10 years – Rs.500
Other Miscellaneous Service Fee:
- Additional booklet with 36 pages – Rs.500
- Additional booklet with 60 pages – Rs.700
- Police clearance certificate/Address change/ECNR/Deletion of children/Additional endorsements – Rs.300
- Other miscellaneous service charges for India-Sri Lanka or India-Bangladesh passport – Rs.100
2. How much should an applicant pay for PCC (Police Clearance Certificate)?
For PCC, an applicant has to pay Rs.500.
3. How much amount is to be paid for GEP’s Background verification?
For GEP’s background verification, an applicant has to pay Rs.500.
4. How to transfer the paid fee from an ARN (Application Reference Number) to the other?
Once an applicant pays the fee, it cannot be transferred to any other ARN.
5. Can the payments be still made even if you don’t have an account in SBI Bank?
An applicant can still make payments via online either using a debit card or credit card or just use an SBI challan.
6. What is the passport fee’s validity?
The payment that an applicant makes for the passport application will be valid for a period of 1 year from the payment date or appointment date.
7. What if a payment is done accidentally multiple times online?
The excess payment is refunded to the applicant by the respective RPO (Regional Passport Office).
8. Is the online ARN receipt mandatory to carry while visiting the passport office?
No, it is no longer required. An SMS that says about the appointment details of an applicant is also accepted at the passport office these days.
9. What are the various modes of payments that are accepted?
An online payment can be easily made by using any one of the modes given below:
- SBI Bank Challan
- Internet banking with the government’s associate banks
- Debit card (Visa and MasterCard)
- Credit card (Visa and MasterCard)
- SBI e-wallet
10. Which payment gateway is used for making online payments?
For online payments, currently, SBI gateway is being used.
11. What to do if the online payment is made but the appointment is not booked?
During such errors, an appointment can be easily booked by selecting the link named – Schedule Appointment. The payment status can also be tracked with the link – Track Payment Status.
12. What to do if there is an error while making an online payment?
In such cases, the official bank’s website might be down or there might be some server or network issues. You can try after a while.
13. Can option of online payment be modified while booking an appointment?
Passports that are applied under the Tatkaal scheme will have a fee to be paid but under the Normal Category. The remaining fee for Tatkaal passport has to be paid in "Cash" at the respective passport office once the passport authorities accepted the Tatkal application.
14. What to do if the amount is debited but the website says that the transaction has failed?
If the website says that the payment transaction is “failed,” and yet the amount has been deducted from the account, then the SBI will refund the amount to the applicant’s account within 7 working days.
15. How much charge should an applicant pay for the e-mode option?
For credit or debit cards, the bank charges 1.5% of the payment amount + service tax. If there are any changes in the charges, it is notified accordingly. But if you are making the payment with SBI or any of its associated banks via challan or net banking, then there is no charge levied.
16. Which banks support challan payment?
As of now, the payment via challan can be made only at the SBI (State Bank of India) or any of its branches.
17. How much extra charge has to be made while paying at SBI using challan?
There are no additional bank charges if you are paying the fee through a challan.
18. When should an applicant deposit the fee at any SBI branch through challan?
The fee should be deposited in cash at the closest SBI branch at least 3 hours before generating the challan.
19. Is the challan’s fee receipt necessary while visiting the passport office?
Yes, an applicant is required to carry the fee receipt at the time of visiting the passport office on the appointment date.
20. What is the concept of Passport Seva's SMS service?
An SMS service is a value-added service for the applicants and is completely optional. Once an applicant avails for this feature, he or she gets reminders regarding the appointment via SMS. The updates are notified on the mobile phone until he or she is issued a passport.
21. How much does the SMS service cost?
An applicant availing for the SMS facility has to pay Rs.45 at the time of enrolment, which includes taxes as well.
22. Once paid, is the SMS charge refundable?
No. If an applicant makes this payment, it is non-refundable.
23. What to do if the SMS service option was not selected while submitting the application?
Even if an applicant did not choose the option of SMS service and has submitted the application, he or she still can enroll for this feature by using the link called “Enroll for SMS services” under the menu “services.” However, this feature cannot be accessed if the application is processed at the concerned passport office.
Read More About Other Passport Related Pages
- Indian Passport
- Applying for Passport Services
- Apply for Passport Online
- Apply for Passport Offline
- PSK Passport Applications
- Passport Forms
- Fill Passport Application Form
- Track Passport Application Status
- ECR ECNR Status
- Emergency ID Surrender LOC
- OCI and PIO Card
- Passport Grievance and Feedback
- RTI and Passport
- Police Verification
- PSK Locations and Appointment
- Diplomatic Passport
- Passport Glossary Terms
- Dual Citizenship
- Police Clearance Certificate
- Passport Renewal, Changes, Reissue
- Change of Address in Passport
- Minor Passport
- Passport for Senior citizen
- Passport for Government Employee
- Tatkal Passport
- Student Passport
- Passport Renewal
- Passport Reissue
- Duplicate Passport
- Documents Required for Indian Passport
- Converting PIO card Into OCI card
- Fees and Charges