The Constitution and the Representation of People's Act, 1951, protects the common man of India for practicing his voting right. This is essentially one of the most important rights as a democratic country since it is in the hands of the people in a democracy to elect their representatives in the Government, so that they benefit from it. However this right can be practiced by Indians over the age of 18. Some citizens despite of meeting the citizenship and age parameter may be restricted for certain violations that they may have been a part of against the country and it’s people’s interest. But that is still not enough. A person should have a Voter ID card to be eligible to be able to cast their vote. The voter ID card also has several functions as an ID and address proof. It is also linked with an individual’s Aadhaar card making it one of the most important documents that an individual should own. But it is essential to know what are the details given in the Voter ID card and how they can be changed when necessary?
Elements in the Voter ID Card
The following are a list of voter Id details that come with the card:
- Voter’s Full Name
- Voter’s Father’s Name
- Voter’s Date of Birth
- Voter’s Permanent Address
- Voter’s Voting ID
- Voting Ward Number
- Signature of an Electoral Officer in Power
- Photo ID of the Voter
How to make Changes to your Details in the Voter ID
Follow the steps to be able to make changes to your Voter ID Card details:
- Make sure that you check voter ID details before you start, and know what you need to change.
- Visit the National Voter’s Service Portal on your browser.
- Scroll down the page to a button that reads, “Correction of entries in Electoral roll”
- Click on the this button that is labelled, ‘Correction of entries in Electoral roll’
- You will be directed to a page with various online application forms.
- Click on “Form 8”
Form 8: Voter ID Details Correction Request Form
This form is meant for changing particulars entered in electoral roll. Keep in mind to have your voter Id card for the details so that you have accurate details of what needs to be corrected ot changed. Follow the steps given below to fill up the form and make sure that you enter the spellings correctly:
- Select your Parliamentary Constituency and State. If unaware of any of these details, check your voter ID card.
- You need to then provide your own details. Make sure that you have the spellings right.
- Enter your full address as mentioned in your voter ID card.
- You need to then enter your Voter ID card number. This is an alphanumeric number on your card.
- You need to upload certain documents for verification. They need to be scanned. So, have them ready in your system already.
The following things can be changed. Choose the detail that you need to change and click on the checkbox that is relevant:
- Father/Mother Name,
- Voter Id Address change,
- Photograph & ID number.
- Make sure that you enter the details that have to be changed, correctly.
- Enter your email address and cell phone number as well.
- You need to also upload documents as proof of legitimacy for the detail change.
- Read the form again and check voter ID details to ensure that everything has been entered correctly. You can also click the Save button if you need to save the details and not lose the information if you have already entered.
- Click the Submit button when you are absolutely sure.
- You will get a confirmation message.
- The change will appear on the next voter list that is released.
Voter ID Details FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions):
Where can I find the EPIC number in voter ID?
The EPIC number can be found on the hard copy of your voter’s ID. In case you do not have the hard copy, you may visit the official NVSP website and follow the steps mentioned below to determine your EPIC number.
- Visit the official NVSP website.
- Click on ‘Search your name in electoral roll’.
- Under the tab ‘Search by details’, fill in all the required details.
- This will allow you to print a provisional voter ID which will also contain the EPIC number.
What is EPIC ID number?
An EPIC (Elector's Photo Identity Card) ID number or voter ID number is a ten-digit unique alpha numeric code printed on your voter ID. This is used to cast vote and helps to prevent electoral fraud.
Is EPIC number and voter ID same?
While EPIC and voter ID are the same, the EPIC number and voter ID are not. The EPIC number is unique 10-digit alpha numeric code assigned to the EPIC/voter ID.
How many digits are there in voter ID number?
The voter ID number or EPIC number is a 10-digit alpha numeric code.
Does the voter ID expire?
The voter ID remains valid up until a voter moves to another constituency or remains inactive if you haven't voted in the last two general elections.
What is reference ID in voter ID?
Reference ID is a unique ID provided while applying for an EPIC that will help in tracking the process.
Which states do not require a voter ID?
All states require you to have a voter ID in order to cast a vote.