Voting is one of the constitutional rights given to the people of India, which allows for citizens of the country over the age of 18 to elect their representatives. In India, the voting process is conducted by the Election Commission of India, who have been given the authority to oversee and conduct elections at the national, start as well as local government levels.
India having the largest electorate in the world makes it difficult for the Election Commission of India to conduct elections and ensure they are conducted in a free and fair manner each time elections are held.
For this reason, each state has their own State Election Commission that assists in this process.
Eligible individuals have to register themselves by applying for a voter’s ID card, also known as an EPIC (Electoral Photo Identity Card).
Eligibility Criteria To Get EPIC
While all Indian citizens are eligible to vote, there are certain eligibility criteria that have to be met, as given below:
- The individual should be above the age of 18 years at the time of applying.
How To Apply For Voter's ID Pune
How to Apply Online
Applicants in Pune can apply online for a voter ID card by following the below steps:
- Visit the website of the Chief Electoral Officer of Maharashtra and select the ‘Online Voter Registration’ tab.
- Fill in the form (Form 6) mentioning details such as name, address, constituency etc.
- Upload the documents as stipulated in the form and submit the application, whereupon an acknowledgement with an application number will be displayed.
- A Booth Level Officer (BLO) will visit to verify the information submitted.
- On successful verification, the voter ID card will be sent by post to the address mentioned in the form.
How to Apply Offline
Applicants can also choose to apply for a voter ID card in Pune offline. The procedure for offline applications is as follows:
- Print a copy of the form from the official election website or visit a local election office and collect a copy of Form 6.
- Submit the filled in form and other documents as required to the nearest electoral office.
- Once processed, a Booth Level Officer (BLO) will visit the applicant’s home to verify information as submitted in the form.
- On successful verification, the voter ID card will be sent by post to the applicant’s address.
Tracking Voter ID Status
Applicants can track the status of their applications through the application number that is issued as an acknowledgement on submission of the form. Applicants can track the status of their voter ID applications both online and offline.Track Voter ID Status Online
Applicants can track the status of their applications online by visiting the website of the Chief Electoral Officer, Maharashtra and entering the district and assembly details in the ‘New Form Status’ link on the homepage. The status of the application will be displayed onscreen.Track Voter ID Status via SMS
As of now, applicants cannot track their voter ID status through SMS in Maharashtra.Track Voter ID Status via ECI Helpline
Applicants can also track their applications through the dedicated ECI helpline number 1950, which is operational from 10 am – 5 pm on working days.
Documents required for Voter's ID
The following documents are to be submitted when applying for a voter ID card:
- Recent passport-sized photographs.
- Proof of age document for applicants between 18-21 years of age- birth certificate/passport/Aadhaar/bank passbook/PAN Card/driving licence.
- Proof of address document- Aadhaar card/passport/driving licence/ration card/utility bills/post office or bank pass book.
How to Apply for Duplicate Voter ID Card in Pune
Applicants can apply for a duplicate voter’s ID card by following the below procedure:
- In case of theft or loss of voter ID card, file an FIR (First Information Report) at a police station.
- Print out or collect a copy of form EPIC 002 and submit the filled in form along with the FIR copy and other documents as mentioned on the form to the electoral office.
- The duplicate voter’s ID card will be sent by post after successful verification.
How to Get Corrections/Changes Made to Voter ID Cards Online
In case an applicant wishes to make changes to erroneous information on their voter ID card (such as misspelled name, address or incorrect details), they can do so by submitting an application online.
There are two forms, as mentioned below:
- Correction/Updating Using Form 8:
- If the applicant wishes to make changes or correct information printed in the voter ID card, they will have to submit an application using Form 8.
- Form 8, also known as the Application for the Correction of Particulars in Electoral Roll can be found on the website of the Chief Electoral Officer, Maharashtra.
- Applicants are required to enter particulars such as their personal details, voter ID number as well as provide documentary proof of the correction (in the form of official documents mentioning the information to be changed).
- Once the form has been submitted the information will be verified and corrected.
- Changing Constituency using Form 8A:
- Applicants who have moved house and wish to update their voter ID card with their present address and constituency can do so by submitting Form 8A online.
- The form is available on the website of the Chief Electoral Officer, Maharashtra.
- Applicants are required to enter details such as their name, address, voter ID number as well as details of the changed address and submit documentary proof (such as utility bills, rent agreement, ownership deed) of the new address.
- Once the form has been submitted and processed, the changes will be reflected and the applicant’s name will appear on the rolls in the new constituency.
How to Get Corrections/Changes Made to Voter ID cards Offline
Applicants can also make changes offline, as follows:
- Correction/Updating Using Form 8:
- Visit an electoral office and collect a copy of Form 8 and submit the filled in form and supporting documents to the office.
- Once the application has been processed, the changes will be reflected.
- Changing Constituency Using Form 8A:
- Applicants can change their address and voting constituency by submitting Form 8A, which is available at the electoral office or can be downloaded from the ECI website.
- Fill in the information requested, such as the name, address, voter ID number as well as the new address.
- Submit proof of the new address (in the form of rent agreement, utility bills, ownership deed etc).
- Once the form and documents have been submitted and the application verified, the changes will be reflected in the electoral roll.
FAQ on Voter ID Pune
- Will I have to pay for my voter ID card?
No, a voter ID card is issued free of charge to applicants.
- What documents can be submitted for change of name in my voter ID card?
Any one of the following documents can be submitted when applying for a change of name:
- Government gazette copy.
- Marriage certificate copy (in case of change of name due to marriage).
- Passport/PAN card/Aadhaar card copy.
- Where do I submit my voter ID card application form?
You can submit your voter ID card application form at an electoral office. A list of electoral offices in Pune can be found online on the website of the Chief Electoral Officer, Maharashtra.
- What documents are to be submitted when applying for a duplicate voter’s ID card?
The following documents have to be submitted when applying for a duplicate voter’s ID card:
- Form EPIC 002, filled in and signed.
- FIR (in case of theft or loss of voter ID card).
- Proof of address document.
- Proof of age document.
- How long will it take for me to receive my voter ID card?
Depending on the amount of applications to be processed, the voter ID card should reach you within 1 month of submitting the application or sooner.