Election and the entire process is the pulse of the very fabric our nation is made of – democracy. Hence on no account can it be regarded as an isolated occasion. In fact its role in upholding a sound and fair democratic governance where everyone has a say is humungous. Better public information and outreach dimensions, transparency, nation building and citizen empowerment are some of the prime aspects that are highlighted by the Election Department. Timely upgradation and clearing of Electoral Rolls is an ongoing practice. Electronic organization of data has aided tremendously in forming a system where government is in endless contact with the voters via numerous modes. This trend is here to stay and has to be so. Hence Pondicherry government has been striving to fortify the procedure by manoeuvring and ensuring huge coverage of polling booths on the digital map of this union territory. As a citizen it is your duty to get one without delay. This card will give you an identity as well as smoothen many hitches while getting some official work done. Let us browse through the ways and means of getting a voter ID in Pondicherry here.
Types of Election Forms Available in Puducherry
There are many elections forms listed on the site. Each form is fashioned for different purpose. You need to be careful to get the correct form. The form names and their purposes are given below.
Form 6 (Application for inclusion of name in electoral roll)
Form 7 (Application form for objection/ deletion of a name in electoral roll)
Form 8 (Application form for correction of details given)
Form 8 A (to apply for transposition of an entry in the electoral roll).
How to Apply for Voter ID Card Online in Puducherry
Any Indian citizen residing in the union territory of Pondicherry and is of age 18 years and above is eligible to apply for a voters ID card online in Pondicherry. It is not at all frazzling as it is made out to be. Each and every info can be easily accessed from the regional electoral registration website for you to follow. Anybody with a mere basic aptitude of computer can easily apply online. Yes, it is that user-friendly. The service presented can be made use of at your convenience. Furthermore, the service is created as a collaborated effort of the Election Commission of India as well as with the CEO of Pondicherry and they have done their best to make the process as simple as it can be.
Please go through the steps below to apply for voters ID online:
- Go to the government website www.elections.tn.gov.in. There is another alternative, which is www.ceopuducherry.py.gov.in
- Once you register yourself and log in using the credentials, please click on the link there.
- You will be directed to another page, which will have a select number of forms. If this is your first time in registering for voters ID, please take care to choose the Form 6 to download. Ignore the ‘proceed’ button on the page for now.
- You will instantly get a mail with a unique reference number. Please confirm it as directed in the mail. Once this step is done, you can proceed with the application.
- Save that number in your email or phone or write it on a paper slip. You will need this in future to track the application or check the status.
- Once the form is downloaded, fill all the columns carefully and correctly. Take a print out and send it by post or submit it in person at your nearest electoral office. They will send an officer to verify the given information, after which you will receive your voter ID card.
How to track status in Puducherry
Tracking Voter ID Status Online
To check the status of your Voter ID application online, you can follow the steps given below.
- Visit the Puducherry CEO website(http://egov-election.pon.nic.in/IndexEng.aspx).
- You can search using three methods:
- Search by EPIC number - Enter your EPIC number and click on “GetInfo”.
- Search by Voter’s name - Enter your name, along with your father, mother, husband or other name.
- Search by Address - Enter your constituency name, street, and door number.
Tracking Voter ID status via SMS
To track your Voter ID status, you can send the following SMS to 09212357123.
- ELECPDY voter ID number
Calling on the Dedicated ECI Helpline Number
You can call the ECI Helpline number 1950 toll free. The helpline is available on all working days between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm.
How to Apply for Duplicate Voter ID Card in Pondicherry
Voter ID card can be regarded as one of the most valuable identity card for an Indian citizen. This card being misplaced, lost or stolen can pose a whole lot of problems for you. It is strongly recommended that you get a duplicate card at the earliest.
Applying for a duplicate voter ID card can be surmised in the following steps:
- First thing to do is to lodge a police complaint and get the FIR Copy. It should be clearly mentioned that you have lost the card and hence applying for a duplicate voter’s ID so as to exercise your right to vote.
- Download the ‘form 002’ from the election commission website of Pondicherry or collect one from your nearest regional electoral office. This form is specially designed to apply for duplicate voter ID card.
- Fill the form carefully with no errors and attach the FIR copy to it before submitting it at the election commission office (be it online or offline). The verification process will be done accordingly and in less than three weeks, you will get your new voter ID card.
Verification process of the Voter ID card in Pondicherry
Once you submit the application form (form 6) and supporting KYC documents, next step is verification. Delivering voter ID card is a serious business and election commission cannot afford to make a mistake or even allow room for any kind of fraudulence. Hence they send a Booth Officer to the given residence address to verify all the given information. Once the officer is satisfied, you will be sent the voter ID card to the same address. This is the reason why it takes long to get hold of your voter ID card. It is that transparent.
Process of Voter ID Card Correction Online in Pondicherry
Individuals who already possess a Voter ID card, but wants to make any specific change in the information printed on the card can do the required correction online. For instance, your name might be spelt wrong or you wish to change your surname to your marital one.
You can even change your photo. Please go through the steps below for the same:
- First thing to do is to visit the website of Chief Electoral Officer of Pondicherry and log in using the credentials sent to you at the time of registration.
- Download Form 8, designed specifically to apply for making these kinds of corrections. In the subsequent page, click on From 8 for Voter Detail Modification. You will have to type in your Voter ID card number to take this further.
- As said above, this form is designed only for this purpose. Enter your details as directed. Lay down the info that you want to alter and don’t forget to attach the supporting documents that validate the change. For instance, to change your photo, you need to attach the new photo as well as an ID proof copy.
- After doing the needful and submitting, you will get a display of a pdf of which you will have to take a print out and send it via post to the closest Election Commission Office. Then the regular verification process will be completed and you will soon get your corrected voter ID card.
Process of Voter ID Card Correction Offline in Pondicherry
It is utmost essential that you make sure that the info printed on the Voter ID card is absolutely correct as it is your most precious and bankable national identity card. Though online correction of voter ID card is made as simple and easy as possible, not all have the access or computer literacy to do it online. For them the offline method is as effective, albeit a tad slow. You simply need to collect the form 8 from your closest Election Commission Office and submit it duly filled along with supporting paperwork.
The process works as follows:
- In case you want to correct an info or spelling that is printed on your EPIC, you have to collect a Form 8 first from your regional electoral office.
- Fill the form, put your signature where requested and attach your most recent passport sized photo on it.
- You also need to affix photocopies of all your relevant KYC papers (ID proof, address proof and age proof). For instance, if your name is spelt wrongly, submit a copy of document with the right spelling such as your SSLC Book.
- Give all the aforementioned papers at your closest Election Commission Office. They might ask you to submit an affidavit (even though it is not a rule) as well as the original voter's ID with the wrong spelling or information.
- After successful submission of application form, the verification process will follow. Only then will you get your new card sent to your residence address.
Process of Change of Address in Voter ID online in Pondicherry
In most people’s life come a phase when they have to shift from a place to another for multiple reasons such as new job, marriage, studies etc. But if your permanent residential address is changed, it is your responsibility to make the required change in the voter ID card. Many people ignore this and end up not being able to vote. These days, changing address in voter ID in Pondicherry is not at all difficult as it is made out. In fact it can be done in minutes thanks to the online services offered by the Chief Electoral Officer of this union territory.
Here are the do-it-yourself steps to elaborate on the process of change of address in voter ID online:
- Log on to the Pondicherry election commission’s official website. In their homepage, you will find an option called, ‘Correction of entries in electoral roll’. A number of choices of forms will be shown there.
- Choose Form 8 A which specially made to apply for address change or correction in case you shift your house with in the constituency or outside it.
- In the form 8 A that is being presented, you will have to type in particulars like your name, residence address, contact info, date of birth, father’s name and spouse’s name if applicable in addition to more info about family members who already possess voter ID cards.
- Once you submit the form, your application will be reviewed and will be sent for further verification
Process for Change of Address in Voter ID offline in Pondicherry
If you have shifted or are planning to shift to another city or a new constituency, you should straightway update the residence address on your Voter ID card. Not comfortable with doing it online? Not to worry, you can simply go the conventional method and do it in person.
To bring your address up-to-date in your Voter ID card, please follow the below steps:
- Collect the Form 8 from the nearest regional electorate office or take a print out of the form from internet.
- Carefully fill the form as directed and sign it.
- If you want to transfer your name in the country’s electoral list, send this form to the office along with supporting documentation such as new address proof (utility bill, rental/ lease agreement etc.)
- You may also submit the form plus documents in person by going to the nearest Election Commission Office.
- The Election Commission Office will do a thorough background check as well as an application review by sending a staff to verify directly. After this, they will send you the new voter ID card with updated address.
Election Commission of Puducherry
Puducherry is a union territory of India carved out of four erstwhile French enclaves, namely, Puducherry, Mahe, Yanam and Karaikal on January 7, 1963. Puducherry has four districts, namely, Karaikal, Puducherry region and administrative units of Yanam and Mahe.
State Election Commission
The State Election Commission of Puducherry came into existence in 1994. The State Election Commissioner (SEC) heads the Election Commission in Puducherry. The Election Commissioner is appointed under Sections 9A of the Puducherry Village and Commune Panchayat Act 1973 and Section 15A of the Puducherry Municipalities Act, 1973.
State Election Commissioner of Puducherry
Uddipta Ray (I.A.S) is the current State Election Commissioner of Puducherry. Ray is the fifth state election commissioner of Puducherry. The term of state Election Commissioner of puducherry is 3 years or 68 years, whichever is earlier.
The previous state election commissioners of Puducherry (in no particular order) are listed below:
The Officer on Special Duty assists the state election commissioner on all election matters. He is also known as the Drawing and Disbursement Officer.
The elections department functions under the supervision of the Election Commission of India. The Elections Department prepares and updates electoral rolls. It also holds elections to Puducherry Legislative Assembly, Rajya Sabha, Lok Sabha and the offices of the president and vice-president of India. Dr. V. Candavelou (I.A.S) is the current chief electoral officer and P.T. Rudra Goud is the current joint chief electoral officer.
The important Acts followed by the election department are listed below:
- The Delimitation Act, 2002
- The Representation of People Act, 1950
- The Election Symbols (Reservation and Allotment) Order 1968
- The Registration of Electors Rules, 1960
- The Conduct of Election Rules, 1961
- The Representation of People Act, 1951
- The Parliament (Prevention of Disqualifications), Act 1959
- The Presidential and Vice Presidential Elections Rules, 1974
Punducherry Election 2019
The Lok Sabha election in Puducherry is scheduled to be held in a single phase on 18th April. The result of the Lok Sabha election in 2014 in Puducherry was as follows:
|Name of political party||Number of seats won|
|All India NR Congress||1|
Facts about politics in Puducherry
Puducherry is a union territory and currently governed by the coalition government of Indian National Congress (INC) and Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK). The coalition secured majority by winning 17 out of the 33 seats available. The other major party in Puducherry is All India NR Congress.
Chief minister of Puducherry
Velu Narayansamy of the Indian National Congress (INC) is the current chief minister of Puducherry.
Election commissioner of Puducherry
The election commissioner of Puducherry is V Canadavelou.
Puducherry Elections 2016- Numbers & Stats
Puducherry, also known as Pondicherry, is an Indian union territory that has a rich history of strifes leading upto impromptu political takeovers. This time however, the formal elections for the 30 assembly constituencies happens on the 16th of May. The overall voting population of 9,41,935 will decide the fate of 344 candidates, a depleted number from the original 366 candidates after 22 of them decided to withdraw their nominations this week. Of these 344 applicants, 97 are independent candidates. Puducherry Chief Electoral officer, Mr. V Candavelou, further breaks down the field, and notes that of the overall candidates, 322 are men, 21 are women and one individual identifies under the ‘other gender’ listing. A mixed bag indeed, but toppling the popular Chief Minister Mr. N. Rangaswamy won’t be an easy task. Meanwhile, the latter will utilize the Puducherry Elections 2016 as a means to consolidate his position.