Elections in India are conducted by the Election Commission of India. The Electoral Process in India begins with the declaration of dates by the Election Commission. Voting is one of the important parts of the electoral process in India. The eligibility for voting is set by the Indian constitution and according to the rules, any individual who is above the age of 18 years and is an Indian citizen can vote in the elections. Eligible voters have to enroll their names in order to vote.
Voter ID is a very important piece of document that allows an eligible individual to cast a vote. The Voter ID in India is issued by the Election Commission of India. It also serves as a general proof of identity, age proof and address proof. It is important that one possess a Voter ID card in order to be able to vote in Kolkata.
About Color Voter ID card Kolkata
The initial Voter ID issued by the Election Commission of India was a black and white laminated piece of paper. It contained details of the cardholder such as name, date of birth, father’s name, address of the cardholder and a photograph of the cardholder. But due to certain glitches in the old Voter ID card, the government has introduced a new Colour Voter ID card. It is very easy to avail a new Colour Voter ID card.
How to register for Colour Voter ID
Listed below are the steps to be followed in order to get a Colour Voter ID in Kolkata:
- Visit the official website of Kolkata.
- Select the link for the registration of new PVC Voter ID.
- Provide the required details along with your mobile number.
- Upload your photograph in the space provided.
- Submit the details by selecting the ‘Submit’ option in the options mentioned.
- A verification code will be sent to the mobile number.
- Enter the code in the box specified for the code.
- The site will send an identity code for the colour Voter ID.
- You will receive updates via SMS on the provided mobile number.
- The voter card will be sent to your house via post within 45 to 60 days.
How to Apply for Voter ID Online in Kolkata
The Chief Electoral Officer, Kolkata, is responsible for facilitating the application for Voter ID cards in Kolkata. Listed below are the steps that needs to be followed in order to apply for a Voter ID card in Kolkata online:
- Visit the official Chief Electoral Officer website of Kolkata.
- Sign up with your Email ID, Phone number and valid name.
- The site will send a username and password to the mobile number submitted.
- Login using the same username and password.
- Find Form 6 on the website.
- Once you’ve selected the appropriate form, fill in the required details.
- Submit the form online after filling in the required details.
- Take a printout of the form for further uses.
Steps to be followed while filling the form
- The applicant has to choose the “My name is not included in the enrolled list before” option and the appropriate Assembly Constituency, if he/she has never enrolled his/her name in the voter list.
- The applicant has to select his/her relatives that are already enrolled in the list after selecting the respective constituency.
- The applicant has to add the name of a family member if it is not included in the list.
- It is mandatory to fill in all the details.
- Once the form is completely filled, the user has to upload their photo after which all the details will be displayed along with the photo.
Once the form is filled, it has to be printed out and sent to the closest election commission office. The officers will fill in the section 2 of the form and post it back to the applicant’s address.
How to Apply for Voter ID Offline in Kolkata
One can also apply for a Voter ID card offline in Kolkata. Given below is a detailed procedure that one needs to follow in order to apply for a Voter ID card offline in Kolkata.
Follow the procedure given below to apply for a Voter ID in Kolkata:
- One can apply for a Voter ID offline in Kolkata by availing the application form, the form numbers with their purposes is given below:
- Form 6 - Application for inclusion of name in electoral roll after the draft publication of roll.
- Form 7 - Application form for objection to include a name in electoral roll.
- Form 8 - Application form for correction of details in electoral roll.
- Form 8 A - Application form for transposition of an entry in the electoral roll.
- It is important to provide necessary KYC documents along with Form 6.
- The applicant has to visit the nearest Electoral Registration Office in Kolkata and submit the documents.
- Once the documents are approved and verified, the Booth Level Officers (BLOs) will visit the applicant’s residence mentioned on the form to ensure that the details provided are accurate.
Documents required for Voter ID card registration in Kolkata
Given below is a list of documents that need to be submitted in order to apply for a Voter ID in Kolkata:
Address proof (Any one of the following)
- Electricity bill
- Water bill
- Telephone bill
- Bank passbook
- Driving license
- Ration card
Age proof (Any one of the following)
- 10th grade certificate
- Birth certificate
- PAN Card
- Driving License
- Aadhaar card
- Senior citizen card
2 recent passport size photographs
Track Voter ID Card Status Online in Kolkata
One can track the status of their Voter ID application form after filling the application.One can check the staus of their Voter ID application form at online at Kolkata electoral commission’s website.
Follow the simple steps given below to track the status of your Voter ID application form online:
- Visit the official Chief Electoral Officer website of Kolkata.
- Choose the “Electoral Services” option in the home page.
- Select “Application Tracking” from the list of options given under Electoral Services.
- Once you choose the option, you can track your application by the application number or by the mobile number.
- Once your application is approved, the BLOs will visit your residence for verification and your Voter ID will be issued.
How to Apply for Duplicate Voter ID in Kolkata
Voter ID is a very important piece of document and it is important to notify the police and apply for a duplicate Voter ID card if in case you lose it. Follow the below mentioned steps to avail a duplicate Voter ID card:
- Visit the closest police station and file a complaint.
- Avail a FIR to apply for a duplicate voter ID card.
- You will have to submit a letter regarding the loss of voter ID card and mention details about how you lost it.
- Details regarding the Voter Id card needs to be mentioned.
- Fill in the form 002 issued by the Election Commission of India after filing the FIR.
- You will also have to provide additional KYC documents like address proof and identity proof along with the Form 002.
- Make sure that you submit all documents at the nearest Election Commission Office.
- The application will be reviewed within a week and the new Voter ID will be sent to your residence.
Process of Voter ID Card Correction Online in Kolkata
It is very important that the details present in the Voter ID card be accurate and true. In case of any discrepancies in the details present one can easily change it. Listed below are the steps that needs to be followed in order to correct your Voter ID card information Online:
- Visit the website of Chief Electoral Officer of Kolkata.
- Select the option “Electoral Services” in the homepage.
- Under the options given, select “Apply for Correction”.
- You will have to fill certain information in Form 8 for correction once you choose the option mentioned above.
- You will be asked to enter the Electoral Photo Identity Card (EPIC) number.
- You will have to mention details regarding the change you are making. Mention if you are correcting your name, date of birth, photo or parent/spouse’s name. One can also link their mobile and email id through this page.
- If you have opted for change of address, you will have to specify the old and new address
- One must also upload supporting documents and sign a declaration before they can submit the application for address change.
Once this form is submitted, the application will be reviewed and the correct Voter ID card will be sent to your residential address.
Process of Voter ID Card Correction Offline in Kolkata
Follow the below mentioned steps if there are mistakes in the details present on your Voter ID card:
- Avail Form 8 online or at the nearest Election Commission office.
- Fill and sign the Form 8 for correcting the information that has been entered in the Voter ID.
- Submit your photograph along with KYC documents that support the change.
- The relevant documents needs to be submitted for the change in information.
- Submit all documents including the Form 8 at the nearest Election Commission Office.
- You will also have to submit the original copy of existing Voter ID card in the Election Commission Office (ECO).
- Your application for change of information or correction in Voter ID in Kolkata will be reviewed within a week and the new Voter ID will be issued.
Also Know: Today's Gold Rate in Kolkata