The fundamental right of every Indian citizen is the right to vote which is granted when he/she turns 18 years old. Democracy is based on the concept of citizens choosing their own leaders and this is only possible through voting.
All Indian citizens are eligible to vote.
Process of voting is conducted by a body known as Election Commission of India which also oversees elections and ensures that they are conducted in a fair manner and according to the prescribed rules and regulations.
Being the largest democracy in the world, conducting elections is not an easy task and therefore a heavy budgen is placed on the Election Commission of India. Individuals can approach the commission with regard to any questions or queries that they would have regarding the elections and also to apply for a Voter ID, without which they will not be able to exercise their right to vote.
Each state has separate elections and although the overall policy may not vary, there are a few minor changes based on the requirements of the people. This article touches upon the processes that an individual will have to undergo to procure a Voter ID in Indore.
Eligibility Criteria To Get EPIC (Electoral Photo Identity Card)
For individuals to be able to vote in India, they must be above the age of 18 and should also be a citizen of the country.
Steps To Apply For Voter ID
Steps to Apply Online for Voter ID
Applicants in Indore need to follow the steps provided below to procure a Voter ID:
- Applicants will have to check if their name is a part of the electoral roll, if not, then the steps given below should be followed:
- Individuals will have to visit the official website of the Chief Electoral Officer of Madhya Pradesh and click on the link titled ‘Apply Online for Registration of New Voter’.
- They will be redirected to a page wherein Form 6 will be available, which will have to be filled and submitted.
- While submitting Form 6, individuals will also have to upload the required documents such as address proof, identity proof and passport photograph.
- Once everything has been submitted, applicants will receive an acknowledgement along with a unique number.
- A Booth Level Officer will visit the applicant to verify all documents as well.
- Post verification, applicants will receive their Voter ID by post after a few weeks.
How to Apply Offline
In case applicants wish to apply for their Voter ID offline, then they will have to follow the steps provided below:
- Applicants will have to procure Form 6 from the closest Electoral office or download and print it from the official website of the Chief Electoral Officer of Madhya Pradesh.
- This form has to be completely filled and all details must be provided. While submitting it, individuals must ensure that all documents such as proof of address, proof of age, etc. are provided along with photographs.
- Once all necessary documents are submitted, applicants will be visited by a Block Level Officer who will verify all documents.
- After all necessary verifications and processes are complete, applicants will receive their Voter ID by post within a couple of weeks.
Tracking Voter ID Status
Applicants, when they submit their filled in Form 6 along with documents, will receive a unique application number which they can use to check the status of their registration.
Track Voter ID Status Online
In order to track the status of their Voter ID online, applicants will have to visit the official website of the Chief Electoral Officer of Madhya Pradesh and follow the steps mentioned below:
- They will then have to look under the ‘Our Services’ heading and click on the ‘Enroll’ option.
- They will be redirected to another page after which they will have to select the option titled ‘Check your e-registration status’.
- Applicants will then have to select the option titled ‘New Registration’ and enter their Registration ID and click on ‘Show Status’ after which they will receive the required information.
Track Voter ID Status via SMS
individuals can only verify if their name is a part of the electoral roll via SMS. They will have to sms epic <space><Voter ID number> to 8511199899
Track Voter ID Status via ECI Helpline
Individuals will also be able to track their applications through the dedicated ECI helpline number 1950, which is operational from 10 am – 5 pm on working days.
While applying for a Voter ID, applicants will have to provide the documents mentioned below:
- Proof of address - Aadhaar Card/Passport/ Driving License/Ration Card/Utility Bills/ Passbook.
- Proof of age - Passport/PAN card/Aadhaar Card/Passbook from a Bank/Driving License/Birth Certificate.
- Passport size photographs that have been taken recently
Steps to Apply for Duplicate Voter ID Card in Indore
A duplicate Voter ID can be procured by applicants by following the procedure mentioned below:
- In case applicants have lost their Voter ID or it has been stolen from them, they will have to first file an FIR or First Information Report at their nearest police station.
- Applicants will then have to download or procure Form 002 from the Electoral Office, fill in all the details and submit it with necessary documentation and a copy of the FIR report.
- After all details have been verified, a duplicate Voter ID will be sent to their address.
How to Get Corrections/Changes Made to Voter ID Cards Online
Sometimes, individuals receive Voter ID’s wherein details have been misspelt or even missed out on completely. In such cases, individuals can get these details corrected by following the steps mentioned below:
Updating/Correcting the applicant’s address using Form 8:
- If the applicant wishes to correct his/her address in the document, they will have to visit the official website of the Chief Electoral Officer of Madhya Pradesh and on the homepage, under the tab titled ‘Our Services’, individuals will have to select the ‘Enroll’ option.
- They will be redirected to another page wherein they will have to select the option titled ‘Download Voter Registration Form’ from where they will have to download Form 8.
- This form will have to be filled with necessary details such as age, Voter ID number and should provide proof of the detail to be corrected, which in this case is a proof of address.
- Once the above has been submitted and all details verified, corrections will be made and new ID will be provided.
- Change of Constituency using Form 8A:
- If applicants have changed their residence but still stay in the same constituency then can make necessary changes by procuring Form 8A.
- Applicants will have to visit the official website of the Chief Electoral Officer of Madhya Pradesh and on the homepage, under the tab titled ‘Our Services’, individuals will have to select the ‘Enroll’ option.
- They will be redirected to another page wherein they will have to select the option titled ‘Download Voter Registration Form’ from where they will have to download Form 8A.
- All required details such as name, age, proof of new address(utility bills, rent agreement, Deed of Ownership) should be given.
- Once all documents have been verified, necessary changes will be made will appear on the electoral roll.
Steps to get Corrections made to Voter ID cards Offline
If applicants see a discrepancy in their Voter ID and wish to change the details but are unable to procure the forms online, they can follow the steps mentioned below:
- Updating/Correction of Address using Form 8
- In case applicants cannot avail Form 8 online, they can procure this document by visiting the Electoral Office and submit the completely filled form along with necessary documents and proof.
- Once documents have been verified, necessary changes will be made.
Change of Constituency using Form 8A:
- If individuals have shifted residences from one place to another but within the same constituency, they can apply for the necessary changes by visiting the Electoral Office and procuring Form 8A.
- This form will have to be completed and submitted to that office along with required documents.
- Once all details are verified, necessary changes will be made.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Do individuals have to pay to procure a Voter ID?
No, individuals can avail a Voter ID for free.
- Can everyone procure a Voter ID?
All Indian citizens above the age of 18 can procure Voter ID except for those who are mentally unsound or bankrupt.
- How can individuals delete their name from an electoral roll?
In order to delete their name or another person’s name by procuring, filling and submitting Form 7. This form can either be procured online on the official website of the Chief Electoral Officer of Madhya Pradesh or at the electoral office in their area.
- If customers need to avail a duplicate Voter ID, what are the documents that they will have to provide?
The following documents will have to be submitted to procure a duplicate Voter ID:
- Form 002, completely filled and signed
- Copy of the FIR in case Voter ID was lost or stolen
- Proof of address
- Proof of age
- Can individuals enroll themselves in more than one constituency?
No, individual can only register themselves in one area/constituency.