The very essence of democracy is - “For the people, of the people and by the people”. India is one of the largest democratic countries in the world in terms of population and vastness. The process of voting in elections form the cornerstone of representative democracy. People are provided a way to choose the ruling person and to assert their opinions. It is not only the privilege of citizens but is also their responsibility to cast their vote in any election held in their constituency. But, as is the case with many huge democratic nations, the swindlers and impostors take advantage of the voter’s ignorance and engage in vote rigging. The Government of India came up with the idea of giving out separate identity cards for voters in 1993 and since then, Voter ID cards have been issued to all eligible voters.
In Delhi, the capital of democratic India, elections are conducted in accordance with the Indian Constitution. All eligible candidates can apply for a new voter ID card online in Delhi. The online portal introduced by the Chief Electoral Officer of Delhi has simplified things a lot and people can also choose to make corrections and change the address in Voter ID cards online in Delhi.
How to Apply for Voter ID Online in Delhi
Applying for a new Voter ID in Delhi has become a very easy and hassle free procedure, thanks to the online portal of the Chief Electoral Officer of Delhi. First time voters and people who wish to enrol their names in the electoral list can do so by signing up and submitting an application for the same.
Here are the steps given below to apply for a new Voter ID online in Delhi:
- Go to the website of the Chief Electoral Officer of Delhi. In the home page, you can register yourself as a user if you are using this facility for the first time. To register, you will be asked to enter details like your name, address and phone number.
- Log on using your credentials. In the resulting page, choose “Apply for inclusion of name in Voter list using Form 6 - Online”.
- In the Form 6, you will have to enter the Area, Locality or the Assembly Constituency Number. Once that is done, you will have to enter details like your name, surname, date of birth, age, place of birth, address including taluka and district and information about other family members whose name has been already included in the electoral roll.
- First time voters has to select an option mentioning that the name has not been included in the electoral roll of any assembly. For those applying for a change of address to another Assembly constituency or for voters who have a Voter ID but whose name has not been included in the electoral roll must select the option accordingly.
- An OTP will be sent to your mobile number and after you enter that, you can preview the form and submit it.
- Once the form is submitted, you will have to attach supporting documents like address proof, identity proof and photographs.
- After your application is reviewed, Booth Level Officers (BLOs) will visit your residence to validate the information that you have given and will move the application to the next level. Once the procedures are completed, your Voter ID will be sent to your residential address.
How to Apply for Voter ID Offline in Delhi
For people who wish to enrol themselves as voters but are not familiar with the online procedure, the Election Commission also offers camps and other means where candidates can directly submit the application form.
To know the process of applying for a new Voter ID in Delhi, read the steps given below:
- Procure a Form 6 (You can either download the form or get a copy of the form from the Voters’ Registration and EPIC Centre of your Assembly Constituency). Fill it completely. Stick one passport size photo in the space provided.
- Attach a proof of age and proof of residence.
- You can send the form and supporting documents via post to VREC ((Voters’ Registration and EPIC Centre) of your Assembly Constituency.
- You can also visit the nearest VREC (Voters’ Registration and EPIC Centre) of your Assembly Constituency and deliver the documents in person.
- You can submit your documents to the Booth Level Officers (BLOs) after which a verification will be conducted by the BLOs. Your Voter ID will be sent to your residence.
How to track status in Delhi
Tracking Voter ID Status Online
To check your status online, visit Delhi CEO.
- You can check your status using your voter Application ID.
Select your form:
- Form 6
- Form 6A
- Form 7
- Form 8
- Form 8 A
- Enter your ID and the captcha code and click on “Search” to generate your results.
Tracking Voter ID status via SMS
This facility is not available in Delhi yet, but may be rolled out in the future. To check if your name has been included in the voter list , you can send the following SMS to 7738299899.
- EPIC voter ID number
Calling on the Dedicated ECI Helpline Number
The Delhi ECI has two numbers provided for applicants to call.
- Helpline - 1800111400
- Call Center - 1950 toll free. The line is available on all working days between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm.
How to Apply for Duplicate Voter ID in Delhi:
In case your Voter ID has been stolen, you can get a duplicate Voter ID by filing a complaint in the police station. Also, if your Voter ID is lost, misplaced or damaged, you can apply for a duplicate Voter ID.
The process of applying for a duplicate Voter ID in Delhi is described below:
- If you have misplaced your Voter ID or it is stolen, visit the nearest police station and file a FIR as you will need the FIR copy to apply for a duplicate Voter ID.
- You will be required to give a letter to the police station regarding the date of loss, place of loss, Voter ID number and the name on Voter ID.
- You will have to completely fill the Form 002 which can be downloaded online and attach it with the FIR. Form 002 has been designed by the Election Commission of India for the issue of duplicate Voter ID or Elector’s Photo Identity Card (EPIC).
- You will also have to submit additional KYC documents like age proof and address proof.
- Submit all documents including Form 002 at the nearest Election Commission Office. The application for duplicate EPIC will be reviewed and if found genuine, a duplicate Voter ID will be sent to your residential address.
Process of Voter ID Card Correction Online in Delhi:
If your Voter ID carries wrong information about your name, date of birth or photograph, you must get the incorrect details changed at once since the Voter ID serves as a proof of identity.
You can get the particulars in the Voter ID corrected online in Delhi by following the simple steps given below:
- Visit the website of Chief Electoral Officer of Delhi and log on using your credentials. If you are a new user, you will have to register on the portal using your name, email id and phone number.
- Once you have logged in, select “Apply for correction of particulars in Form 8 - online”. The Form 8 will be displayed on the screen after some preliminary steps.
- You will have to identify your Assembly Constituency before filling the form. If you are not sure about your Assembly Constituency, you can select the same by clicking on a link provided which will help you narrow the search.
- You will then have to enter your name, parent’s or spouse’s name, house number and EPIC number.
- After the above step is completed, you will have to fill in form 8, you will have to enter details like your name, address, information about other family members whose name is already present in the electoral roll.
- Make sure you correctly enter the details that you wish to change in the Voter ID. You will have to upload supporting documents for the same. For example, if you wish to change your photograph in the Voter ID, you must upload photo identity proof.
- Once your application is submitted, it will be reviewed and the new Voter ID will be sent to your home address.
Process of Voter ID Card Correction Offline in Delhi:
It is the responsibility of every voter to ensure that the details mentioned in the Voter ID are correct since the Voter ID stands as the identity of every voter.
In case your date of birth, name or photograph has been printed incorrectly in the Voter ID, you can get it corrected by following the steps given below:
- Procure a Form 8 issued by the Election Commission of India designed for changing name, date of birth and photograph present in the Voter ID.
- Mention the information to be corrected and attach the supporting documents. For example, if you want to correct the spelling of your name, attach a KYC proof that has the correct spelling.
- Along with the Form 8, submit all other documents at the nearest Election Commission Office. You might also be asked to present the original copy of the Voter ID.
- Your application for change of information in Voter ID will be reviewed and the new card will be sent to your residence.
Process of Change of Address in Voter ID online in Delhi:
If you have moved to a different constituency or a city, you must also change the address in the Voter ID. In Delhi, the process of voter id address change in the Voter ID has been made very simple and voters can file for an address change in Voter ID online.
Follow the easy steps given below to change your address in Voter ID online:
- Visit the website of Chief Electoral Officer of Delhi and log on using your password and username. In case you are a first time user, you must register by providing your name, email id and phone number.
- In the page that is being displayed, select Form 8 A which is for change of address within the same assembly constituency or Form 6 which is for the change of address to another Assembly Constituency within Delhi or from other place of country.
- The form will be displayed on the screen and you will have to enter the right old address and new address. You will also have to enter the EPIC number and other details with it,
- You might have to upload supporting documents for address change. Once the form is submitted, a BLO will visit your home to confirm the details.
- The new Voter ID with updated address will be sent to your current residential address.
Process for Change of Address in Voter ID offline in Delhi:
For voters not familiar with the online process of applying for a change of address in Voter ID, the Election Commission also has an offline procedure. The candidate will have to fill up a form, submit necessary documents and submit it to get their address in Voter ID card changed.
The process of applying for a change of address in Voter ID is mentioned below:
- Secure a Form 8 A which is specifically meant for correcting the address in the Voter ID. If you want to shift your address to another Assembly Constituency within Delhi or from any other place in India, secure a form 6 to change your address in Voter ID.
- Completely fill the form and attach all supporting documents for the new address like ration card or passport.
- Submit all documents at the nearest Election Commission Office (ECO) in Delhi. The Election Commission Office (ECO) will review your application for address change and will send you a corrected Voter ID.
Election Commission of Delhi
The state election commission of Delhi came into existence in October 1993. The delimitation of wards was done based on the 1991 census. The state election commission of Delhi is a constitutional authority formed as per the provisions of article 243 ZA and 243K of the Constitution of India along with Section 7 of the Delhi Municipal Corporation Act, 1957. It is important to note that the state election commissioner of Delhi performs the same functions his office demands for Chandigarh as well. The state election commission supervises and prepares electoral rolls for conducting free and fair elections.
Structure of state election commission of Delhi:
The junior accounts officer, assistant chief accountant, head clerk, junior stenographer and administrative officer report to the deputy secretary of the state election commission who reports to the secretary-cum-joint election commissioner, who in turn, reports to the state election commissioner of Delhi.
Functioning of state election commission of Delhi:
The state election commission of Delhi functions with the support of staff from the government of Delhi and municipal corporations of Delhi. The state election commission of Delhi preparas electoral rolls for each ward before general elections. Voters I Cards are prepared by the office of the Chief Electoral Officer. All political parties (national and state-level) and citizens eligible to contest and vote in elections to the municipal corporation of Delhi come under the purview of the state election commission of Delhi. Various services provided by the state election commission of Delhi include ensuring proper redressal of complaints against candidates, publishing advertisements in dailies, ensuring proper enforcement of the model code of conduct and uploading affidavits on movable and immovable properties announced by candidates on the official website of the election commission among many others. It is important to note that disputes which arise during an election can be resolved by filing petitions in the prescribed format after election results are declared.
Delhi Elections 2019
Delhi is the national capital of the country and is considered as a union territory. It has 7 Lok Sabha seats. Currently the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) is in power in the state. The result of 2014 Lok Sabha elections in Delhi were as follows:
|Name of political party||Number of seats won|
|Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)||7|
|Indian National Congress||0|
|Aam Aadmi Party (AAP)||0|
Facts about Delhi politics
LDelhi has always played an important role in Indian politics. The National Capital Region (NCR) has been declared a union territory by the central government a while ago. AAP and Indian National Congress are in talks to form a coalition and contest the Lok Sabha elections together. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) will fight the elections by itself.
Chief minister of Delhi
The current chief minister of Delhi is Arvind Kejriwal. He is a member of the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) which is currently in power in the state.