Bihar election will take place in three phases – October 28, November 3 and November 7. The election results will be out on November 10
The Bihar state election commission was formed in the year 1994 under the Bihar Panchayat Raj Act, 1993. Currently, the chief electoral officer of Bihar state election commission is HR Srinivasa. Like any other state election commission, the function of the Bihar state election commission is to ensure elections are conducted in a free and fair manner.
Table of Contents
Bihar Elections 2020:
In Bihar, citizens of India will vote for a new government on these days:
- 28 October
- 3 November
- 7 November
The Election Commission has confirmed that the results of the elections are set to be announced on 10 November. The new 243-member assembly of Bihar will have to be finalised by 29 November.
As the elections will take place during the pandemic, we will see a lot of changes in the structure of the voting process and a lot of safety measures in place. Social distancing will be maintained and voters have been asked to wear masks and gloves. There is a reduction in the number of phases to three from five. This is an attempt to minimise the spread of the infection. Sunil Arora, the Chief Election Commissioner had labelled the three-phase election as a ‘leap of faith’. All Covid patients, and those in quarantine can will have a provision to vote separately.
The voting will start at 7:00 a.m. and end at 6:00 p.m. The election body went on to warn people against the misuse of social media and said that anyone who uses social media platforms for flaring communal tension will consequences.
Parties in the elections
First, we have the National Democratic Alliance (NDA):
- Nitish Kumar's Janata Dal United
- Chirag Paswan's Lok Janshakti Party
- Jitan Ram Manjhi's Hindustani Awam Morcha
The opposition is led Tejashwi Yadav (Lalu Yadav's son).
In the previous year, during the national election, the Nitish Kumar-BJP-Paswan alliance had earned 39 of 40 parliamentary seats in Bihar.
Bihar Elections: List of Constituencies and Voting Schedule
Phase 1 of the polling in Bihar will start on 28 October, 2020 (Wednesday). Voters all across the state will march towards the ballot to vote for the next 243-member Legislative Assembly. There are 1,066 candidates contesting for the elections from 71 seats. The Bihar Legislative Assembly 2020 will be held in three phases. The second phase will see a battle over 94 seats and the third face will be a combat for 78 seats.
The Election Commission has announced the official schedule for the three phases of this election.
|Poll Events||Phase 1 (71 ACs)||Phase 2 (94 ACs)||Phase 3 (78 ACs)|
|Date of Issue of Notification||1 October 2020 Thursday||9 October 2020 Friday||13 October 2020 Tuesday|
|Last Date of Making Nomination||8 October 2020 Thursday||16 October 2020 Friday||20 October 2020 Tuesday|
|Date of Scrutiny||9 October 2020 Friday||17 October 2020 Saturday||21 October 2020 Wednesday|
|Last Date of Withdrawal||12 October 2020 Monday||19 October 2020 Monday||23 October 2020 Friday|
|Date of Poll||28 October 2020 Wednesday||3 November 2020 Tuesday||7 November 2020 Saturday|
|Date of Counting||10 November 2020 Tuesday||10 November 2020 Tuesday||10 November 2020 Tuesday|
|Date of Completion||12 November 2020 Thursday||12 November 2020 Thursday||12 November 2020 Thursday|
Constituencies in Phase 1
|Bikram||Barachatti (SC)||Rajpur (SC)|
|Sandesh||Bodh Gaya (SC)||Ramgarh|
|Barhara||Gaya Town||Mohania (SC)|
|Agiaon (SC)||Belaganj||Makhdumpur (SC)|
Constituencies in Phase 2
|Marhaura||Valmiki Nagar||Rajgir (SC)|
|Raja Pakar (SC)||Sheohar||Patna Sahib|
|Rosera (SC)||Jhanjharpur||Darauli (SC)|
|Cheria-Bariarpur||Kusheshwar Asthan (SC)||Daraunda|
|Sahebpur Kamal||Darbhanga Rural||Ekma|
Constituencies in Phase 3
|Bochahan (SC)||Triveniganj (SC)||Sugauli|
|Kalyanpur (SC)||Jokihat||Bathnaha (SC)|
|Purnia||Sonbarsha (SC)||Manihari (ST)|
|Simri Bakhtiarpur||Korha (SC)||Alamnagar|
Apply for a voter ID in Bihar
Voter ID registration is now a simple process with the Bihar Election Commission offering individuals both online as well as offline methods of registration. The process of online registration makes it easier for applicants as they do not have to go to the electoral office and register themselves, but can fill up a form and begin the process. One can apply for voter ID in Bihar either using the online or offline mode.
How to apply for Voter ID Card online in Bihar?
You can directly apply for voter ID card in Bihar online. The online application process is listed in detail below:
- Visit the website of the Chief Electoral Officer, Bihar, and click on the option - “Citizen Services/Online Registration”.
- The next step is to select the form that is to be filled as per the requirement. If you are a new user and want to register yourself on the website, start out by filling up Form 6.
- As soon as you see the form being displayed on the screen, fill the required details and submit the details to register yourself for the service.
- After entering all the details on form 6 and registering yourself, you will receive a code. Use the code to sign into the portal and access the forms available on the website.
- You can either fill out the details on the form and submit it immediately or submit at a later time.
- Upload the required documents such as the age, address proof and your passport size photograph.
- After the form has been submitted, you will get a reference number which is to be used to track the status of the application.
- All the information that you have submitted on the website via the form will be verified by the Booth Level Officer (BLO).
- After all the information entered by you is verified, the voter ID will be sent to the mentioned address.
How to apply for Voter ID Card offline in Bihar?
A person can also apply for a voter ID offline in Bihar by visiting the state election commission office. The steps to apply for a voter ID card offline are as follows:
- As an applicant, you need to visit the nearest electoral office and if you do not have a voter ID, register for one by filling Form 6.
- The next step is to fill the specific form as per your requirement and attach the required documents to it such as the address proof, birth certificate and passport size photographs.
- All the documents have to submitted to the concerned electoral office either by post or in person.
- All the information that you have submitted in person to the electoral office will be verified by the Booth Level Officer (BLO).
- After all the information entered by you is verified, the voter ID will be sent to the mentioned address.
Documents to be Submitted for Voter ID in Bihar
The following documents are to be submitted along with your application form when applying for a voter ID in Bihar:
- Proof of address: The documents that can be accepted as proof of address are:
- Passport of the applicant
- Ration card
- Utility bills
- Aadhar card
- Driver’s licence
- Proof of age: The documents that can be accepted as for proof of age of the applicant are:
How to track voter ID status in Bihar?
Currently, there is no website available online on which a person can check the voter ID status online. However, a person can check whether his or her name is included in the voter list or not by visiting the link , which is a PDF and contains the list of registered voters. Another option is to visit the NVSP website for which the link is //electoralsearch.in/. Although there are no options on the BIHAR CEO website to check the status of voter ID, there are other modes through which a person can which do this. They are:
- Searching the status of voter ID by entering in your details:
- The name of the applicant.
- The name of the father or husband of the applicant (whichever is applicable).
- Age or date of birth, gender, state of residency and the constituency from which the applicant has registered to vote.
- Searching for the status of voter ID by entering the Electoral Photo ID Card (EPIC) number: As the applicant, you can also search for details related to your voter ID card by entering the EPIC number provided a unique voter ID card has already been issued to you. In addition to entering the EPIC number, you also need to enter your state of residence.
- Searching for the status by sending an SMS: As the applicant, you can also check the voter ID status in Bihar by sending an SMS on the number 56677.
- Calling the dedicated ECI helpline: A person can also call the ECI helpline number by dialling the number - 1950.
How to apply for duplicate Voter ID Card online in Bihar?
A voter ID card is an official government-issued document that permits the bearer to participate in the electoral process. It is also used as a form of identity as well as address proof for a variety of purposes and is, therefore, an important document.
As many individuals carry their voter ID card with them as a form of identification. There may be an time when your card gets misplaced or lost. It could also be stolen or suffer wear and tear, making it unusable. In such situations, the Election Commission permits you to apply for a duplicate voter ID card. This can be done both offline as well as online.
The process for applying for a duplicate voter ID card online in Bihar is mentioned below:
- Download Form EPIC-002, which is the application form for duplicate voter ID card.
- Fill in the details as required, such as your address, name, constituency etc.
- In the event your voter ID card was stolen or lost, you will have to attach a copy of the FIR registered at a police station along with your form.
- Submit the form along with the supporting documents to the electoral office where you are registered as a voter.
- After your application has been verified, you will be issued a duplicate voter ID card.
There are different situations under which a person can apply for a duplicate voter ID card in Bihar. They are:
- If the original voter ID card that was issued to the applicant has been stolen.
- If the original voter ID card of the applicant is lost.
- If the original voter ID card in the possession of the applicant is in such a condition that it is unusable.
In case the voter ID of the applicant is lost or has been stolen, he or she has to file an FIR for the same.
How to apply for a duplicate voter ID offline in Bihar
To apply for a duplicate voter ID offline in Bihar, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the nearest electoral office in which you are registered as a voter and obtain a form of EPIC-002 from there.
- Fill the form with the details required and attach the relevant documents that are required.
- If you are applying for a duplicate voter ID because it has been stolen, remember to attach the FIR that you have filed with the police department regarding the same.
- Submit the form to the electoral officer in the electoral office.
- After all the information submitted by you has been successfully verified by the concerned authorities, you will be able to receive the duplicate voter ID card.
How to Make Corrections in a Voter ID Card Online in Bihar?
If there are certain corrections to be made in your Voter ID such as name, etc, you can do so via the online or offline mode. Voter ID is a document that is accepted as identity and address proof and any information in it about the holder should be completely correct. To dovoter id correction, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the website of the Chief Electoral Commissioner of Bihar and then click on the National Voters Service Portal (NVSP) option.
- The next step is to click on the ‘Correction of Entries in Electoral Roll’ tab.
- You have to download Form 8A which is to be filled for correction of an entry in the electoral roll.
- Fill the required details.
- After submitting the form, a reference number will be generated which will help the applicant track the status of the application.
- The application, after all the details have been submitted, will be verified by the electoral officer.
- After all the formalities have been completed, you will receive the voter ID application through post on the address mentioned in the form.
How to Change Address in Voter ID Card in Bihar
Earlier, Voter ID address change was a tedious process in which all sorts of different applications had to be filled. Now the election commission has made it a very easy and simple process and only one form is required to be filled and submitted. The change of address can be done either via the offline or online method.
How to change address in the voter ID card online in Bihar
A person can change an address in the voter ID online in Bihar by following the steps mentioned below:
- The applicant has to log on to the National Voters Services Portal website. The applicant can do so by clicking on the linkhttp://www.nvsp.in/
- After visiting the page, the applicant has to click on the "Apply online for registration of new voter/due to shifting.
- Next, you have to download Form 8A from the available options and fill the details required.
- The details to be filled in the form include the applicant name and current residential address and the proof for the new address to which you will be shifting.
- You will also have to upload a document that acts as a proof for your current address.
- After all the required documents have been attached, submit the form online.
- All the information that has been submitted in the form will be verified by the electoral officer and then if the information is correct, the voter ID card will be delivered to your new address.
How to change address in the voter ID card offline in Bihar
To change the address in voter ID offline in Bihar, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the electoral office of the constituency in which your new address is situated.
- Collect a copy of Form 8A and fill it with all the details required.
- Attach any documents that are required to be attached to the form.
- At the electoral office, you will be given a reference number which can be used to track the status of the application.
- Once you have completely filled the form with all the details and attached all the documents required, submit the form to the same office from where you collected it.
- The submitted information will be verified by the Electoral officer and if everything is correct, the new voter ID with the change in the address will be dispatched to your new address.
- To check the voter list in Bihar, visit the website http://sec.bihar.gov.in/SearchInFinalPdf.aspx.
Bihar Elections 2019
The 2019 Lok Sabha elections in Bihar is scheduled to be held in six different phases. The dates on which the elections will be held are April 10, 17, 30 and May 7 and 12. The votes will be counted on May 16.
The Bihar Legislative Assembly elections to elect 243 members will be on 29 October 2020.
The results of the 2019 Lok Sabha elections were as follows:
|Name of political party||Number of seats won|
|Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)||17|
|Lok Janashakti Party (LJP)||6|
|Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD)||0|
|Janata Dal (United)||16|
|Rashtriya Lok Samta Party (RLSP)||0|
|Nationalist Congress Party (NCP)||0|
|Indian National Congress (INC)||1|
Facts about Bihar politics
The major political parties in Bihar are Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD), Janata Dal (United), Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Lok Janashakti Party (LJP).
Currently, a coalition government of Janata Dal (United) and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is in power in the state.
Chief Minister of Bihar
Currently, Nitish Kumar is the Chief Minister of Bihar. The last legislative assembly elections were held in 2015.
Election commissioner of Bihar
The election commissioner of Bihar is HR Srinivasa.