The right to vote is one of the fundamental rights guaranteed to Indian citizens. Democracy is based on the principle of voting and allowing citizens to choose their own government. Indian citizens are allowed to vote after they become adults, i.e, are above 18 years old. However, in order to vote, individuals must possess a Voter ID without which they will not be able to vote.
Voting throughout the country is conducted by the Election commission of India, a body that is also charged with the duty of ensuring that voting is conducted according to the prescribed rules and regulation and in a fair manner. Elections are generally chaotic with the chance of courting controversies. The Election Commission of India works to prevent mishaps from occurring during these important times.
As mentioned previously, in order to vote, individuals must first procure a Voter ID. This process is quite simple and varies marginally from one city/state to another city/state. This article touches upon the various steps that applicants will need to follow in order to procure a Voter ID in Bhopal.
Eligibility Criteria To Get EPIC(Electoral Photo Identity Card)
The eligibility criteria for individuals to apply for a Voter ID is that they must be citizens of the country and above the age of 18 i.e., adults.
Steps To Apply For Voter ID in Bhopal
Steps to Apply Online for Voter ID
The internet has revolutionized the way individuals apply for certain documents and the same with Voter ID applications as well. Every state has its own website through which applicants can procure Voter ID cards. The following steps illustrate this process:
- Prior to applying for a Voter ID, individuals will have to first check if their name is a part of the electoral roll, if not then the steps given below should be followed. This is because, if their name is already a part of the electoral roll, the process of applying for a Voter ID is different.
- Applicants will have to visit the website of the Chief Electoral Officer of Madhya Pradesh and click on the tab titled ‘Apply Online for Registration of New Voter’.
- After this, they will be taken to a page wherein all forms will be available. From here, they will have to download Form 6.
- After completely filling in all the details in Form 6, individuals will also have to upload the required documents such as proof of identity, address and required number of passport photographs.
- Once all this has been done, applicants will receive an acknowledgement along with a unique number.
- A Booth Level Officer will visit the applicant to verify all details and documents.
- After this verification has been completed satisfactorily, applicants will receive their Voter ID by post after a few weeks.
How to Apply Offline
If for some reason, customers are unable to procure this form online, they can also apply for the same offline by following the steps mentioned below:
- Applicants will have to visit the Electoral Office in their city and procure Form 6 from there.
- They will have to completely fill up this form and provide required details. Along with the completed and signed document, applicants will need to provide necessary proofs such as proof of age, identity, address and so on along with the required number of passport photographs.
- After everything has been submitted, applicant will be visited by a Block Level Officer who will verify all documents.
- Post necessary verifications, applicants will receive their Voter ID by post within a few of weeks.
Tracking Voter ID Status
Applicants, after submitting their filled in Form 6 along with required documents will receive a unique application number/register number which can be used by them to check the status of their registration.
Track Voter ID Status Online
Applicants can also check the status of their Voter ID online by following the steps mentioned below:
- Individuals will have to first visit the website of the Chief Electoral Officer of Madhya Pradesh and scroll down to the option titled ‘Our Services’ and click on the ‘Enroll’ option.
- They will be redirected to another page after which they will have to select the option titled ‘Check your e-registration status’.
- Applicants will then have to select the option titled ‘New Registration’ and enter their Registration ID and click on ‘Show Status’ after which they will receive the required information.
Track Voter ID Status via SMS
As of now, applicants can only verify if their name is a part of the electoral roll through SMS. In order to do so, they will have to SMS epic
Track Voter ID Status via ECI Helpline
Applicants, through the ECI helpline, can also track their application. They will have to contact the ECI helpline number 1950, which is operational from 10 am – 5 pm on all working days.
Documents required Voter ID Bhopal
The documents mentioned below are mandatory while applying for a Voter’s ID:
- Proof of address such as /Ration Card/ Aadhaar Card/Passport/ Driving License/ Pass book/Utility Bills.
- Proof of age such as PAN card/Passport/Passbook from a Bank/Aadhaar Card/Driving License/Birth Certificate.
- Passport size photographs that have been captured recently
Steps to Apply for Duplicate Voter ID Card in Bhopal
In case individuals lose/damage or misplace their Voter IDs, they can procure a duplicate card by following the steps mentioned below:
- If a voter ID has been stolen from an applicant or if they have lost it, they will have to first file a First Information Report or FIR at their nearest police station.
- They will then have to procure Form 002 from the Electoral Office, provide relevant details and submit the same along with documentary proof and a copy of the FIR report.
- After all details have been verified, a duplicate Voter ID will be sent to the address of the applicant.
How to Get Corrections/Changes Made to Voter ID Cards Online
In case an individual has received a Voter ID with mistakes in the details, they will have to immediately apply for the necessary changes by following the steps provided below:
Updating/Correcting the applicant’s address using Form 8:
- In case there has been a mistake in the address of the applicant, he/she will have to visit the Chief Electoral Officer of Madhya Pradesh’s official website, scroll down and under the tab titled ‘Our Services’, individuals will have to select the ‘Enroll’ option.
- Applicant will be redirected to another page wherein he/she will have to select the option titled ‘Download Voter Registration Form’ from where he/she will have to download Form 8.
- This form will have to be filled with necessary details such as age, Voter ID number and should provide proof of the detail to be corrected, which in this case is a proof of address hence utility bills, Deed of Ownership or rental agreement can be provided.
- Once the above has been submitted and all details verified, corrections will be made and a new ID will be provided.
Change of Constituency using Form 8A:
- If individuals have only shifted residence from one locality to another but within the same constituency, they can request for necessary changes to be made in their Voter ID by procuring Form 8A.
- Individuals will have to first visit the Chief Electoral Officer of Madhya Pradesh’s website and scroll down the homepage, under the tab titled ‘Our Services’, individuals will have to select the ‘Enroll’ option.
- Applicants will be redirected to another page wherein they will have to select the option titled ‘Download Voter Registration Form’ from where they will have to download Form 8A.
- All necessary details such as age, name, proof of new address(utility bills, rent agreement, Deed of Ownership) should be given.
- Once all documents have been verified, necessary changes will be made will appear on the electoral roll.
Steps to get Corrections made to Voter ID cards Offline
If individuals notice a discrepancy in their Voter ID and wish to change the details but cannot procure the forms online, they can follow the procedure mentioned below:
- Updating/Correction of Address using Form 8
- In case individuals cannot procure Form 8 online, they can avail the same by visiting the Electoral Office and submit the form once it is filled along with necessary documents and proof.
- Once documents have been verified, necessary changes will be made.
- Change of Constituency using Form 8A:
- If individuals have shifted their home from one place to another but it is still within the same constituency, they can apply for the necessary changes by visiting the Electoral Office and procuring Form 8A.
- This form will have to be completed and submitted to that office along with required documents.
- Once all details are verified, required changes will be made.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Will a fee be levied in order to procure a Voter ID?
No, individuals can avail a Voter ID for free.
Can everyone procure a Voter ID?
All Indian citizens above the age of 18 can procure Voter ID except for those who are mentally unsound or bankrupt. Age proof is necessary for those who are between the ages of 18 to 21 and for other a declaration of their age will be enough.
Can individuals delete their name from an electoral roll? If so, how can this be done?
An individual can delete his/her name from the electoral roll by procuring, filling and submitting Form 7. This form can be procured at the Electoral Office or from the Chief Electoral Officer of Madhya Pradesh’s official website.
What are the forms available for Voter ID?
There are a number of forms available for voter’s based on their requirements. These include Form 6 for registration of new voters, Form 7 if they wish to delete their name from the electoral roll, Form 8 if they wish to change their address in their Voter ID, Form 8A if they wish to change their constituency among others.
Can individuals enroll themselves in more than one constituency?
No, individual can only register themselves in one constituency or area.