A voter’s ID card is a document that allows an individual to participate in the democratic process by choosing their representative. With India being a democracy, the election process plays an important role in ensuring that leaders are elected based on popular mandate.
The Constitution has made provision for the establishment of an Election Commission to monitor and conduct elections in India. The Election Commission’s duties also extend to registering eligible voters and ensuring that the electoral process is conducted in a free and fair manner.
Eligible voters are provided with voter ID cards, which serve an identification and permit them to cast their vote at national, state, as well as regional legislative assembly elections.
Eligibility Criteria to Get EPIC
The voter ID cards distributed to eligible voters are known as EPIC (Electronic Voter Identity Card). The current cards are colour voter ID cards that resemble the PAN card in their design. The card contains information such as the holder’s name, address, date of birth, EPIC number as well as details regarding the assembly constituency and authorised signature of the issuer.
While the right to vote is guaranteed to every citizen, there are certain criteria to be met, as given below:
- The individual should be above the age of 18 years at the time of applying.
- The individual should be a citizen of India (either by birth or naturalization).
How to Apply for Voter ID in Bangalore
Applicants in Bangalore can apply for a voter ID card either offline or online. The Election Commission of Karnataka, which is authorised to issue voter ID cards and conduct elections in Karnataka, had made provision for online applications as well.
How to Apply Online
Applicants from Bangalore who wish to apply for a voter ID card online and meet the eligibility criteria can follow the steps outlined below:
- Visit the website of the Chief Electoral Officer, Karnataka and click on the ‘Enrol As A Voter’ option under the ‘I Want To....’ section on the homepage.
- Register as a user on the portal and then use your log in credentials to access the portal.
- Select form 6 from among the options provided and fill in details requested in the online form.
- Upload the necessary documents as stipulated in the form and submit the form.
- On submission, an application reference number will be displayed on screen.
- The form will be processed, after which a Booth Level Officer will visit your home to verify the information submitted.
- On successful verification, the voter ID card will be sent by post to the address mentioned on the application.
How to Apply Offline
Applicants can also apply for their voter ID card offline by following the steps given below:
- Visit an electoral office and collect a copy of Form 6 or download the form from the website of the Chief Electoral Officer, Karnataka.
- Submit the filled in form along with the supporting documents to the electoral office, at which time an application reference number will be generated.
- On processing of the application, a Booth Level Officer would visit your home to verify the information mentioned in the form.
- On successful verification, the vote ID card would be sent to the address mentioned in the form.
Tracking Voter ID Status in Bangalore
Applicants who wish to track the status of their voter ID applications can do so through a number of avenues. The vote ID status can be tracked using the application reference number that is issued at the time of application submission.
Track Voter ID Status Online
- Applicants can track their voter ID card status online by visiting the website of the Chief Electoral Officer, Karnataka and click on the ‘Get Status of My Application’ tab.
- Select the district from the drop down menu and type in the application reference number.
- The current status of your application will be displayed on screen.
Track Voter ID Status via SMS
Applicants can track the status of their voter ID application by sending the following SMS:
Track Voter ID Status through ECI Helpline
Applicants can also track their voter ID status by calling on the dedicated ECI (Election Commission of India) helpline number- 1950 between 10 am to 5 pm on working days.
Documents Required for Voter ID
The following documents are to be submitted when applying for a voter ID card:
- Recent passport sized photographs.
- Proof of age (for applicants between the ages of 18 and 21 years) - either passport/PAN card/driving licence/Aadhaar card/birth certificate.
- Proof of address- passport/driving licence/Aadhaar card/ration card/bank passbook etc.
How to Apply for Duplicate Voter ID Card
Applicants who have misplaced or lost their voter ID card can apply for a duplicate card instead of applying for a new one. This can also be done in case of theft of the original card. The process for applying for a duplicate voter ID card is given below:
- Visit an electoral office and collect a copy of Form EPIC 002. Alternatively, print the form from the website of the Election Commission of India.
- Fill in the form and submit the along with relevant supporting documents. In the case of theft or loss, attach a copy of the FIR filed at the time of recording the loss.
- Once the application has been processed, a duplicate voter ID card will be sent to the address mentioned in the application form.
How to Get Corrections/Changes Made in Voter ID Cards Online
Applicants who wish to make corrections or changes in the information mentioned in their voter ID cards can now do so by applying to change the information online. This could be for errors in name or address, or if information is to be changed (such as in the case of name change or marriage). The form can also be used to change address details in case the applicant has moved residence. The procedure for the same is mentioned below:
- Correction/Updating Using Form 8:
- Visit the website of the Chief Electoral Officer, Karnataka and log in to the site using your credentials.
- Click on tab for Form 8 from the options provided and fill in the form mentioning details such as your name, address, voter ID number as well as the information you wish to have corrected or changed.
- Upload documents containing the correct information (like a passport, Aadhaar card, driving licence etc.).
- On submitting the information, an acknowledgement will appear on the screen.
- Once the application has been verified and processed, the information will be changed or corrected.
- Correction/Updating Using Form 8A:
- Visit the website of the Chief Electoral Officer, Karnataka and log in to the website using your credentials.
- Click on the tab for Form 8A under the ‘Enrol As A Voter’ section on the homepage.
- Fill in the information requested such as name, address, new address and details such as voter ID card number.
- Submit the form and relevant documentation mentioning the changed address (such as rent receipts, utility bills, ownership deed etc.)
- On successful verification of the information provided, the name will be transposed from the old electoral to the new one at the present address.
How to Get Corrections/Changes Made in the Voter ID Card Offline
Applicants who wish to correct errors in the information as stated in their voter ID cards can do so by submitting an application form at the nearest electoral office. Applicants who wish to have their information changed (such as their name in case of marriage) can also submit an application in this regard.
Applicants who have moved residence will have to notify the authorities regarding this change so their names can be transposed to the electoral roll of the constituency they currently reside in by filling in Form 8A.
The process for the submitting an offline application is mentioned below:
- Correction/Updating Using Form 8:
- Visit an electoral office and collect a copy of Form 8, or download it from the website of the Election Commission of India.
- Fill in the form with the information requested, such as name, address, and voter ID card number, information to be corrected or changed.
- Attach copies of official documents that mention the information to be corrected or updated (such as passport, Aadhaar card, bank passbook etc.).
- Submit the form and documents to the electoral office, upon which you will receive an acknowledgement.
- On successful verification of the application, the changes will be made.
- Correction/Updating Using Form 8A:
- Visit an electoral office and collect a copy of Form 8A or download a copy from the website of the Chief Electoral Officer, Karnataka.
- Fill in the form mentioning details such as the changed address, the voter ID card number etc.
- Submit the form and supporting documents mentioning the current address (such as rent agreement, utility bills, ownership deed etc.).
- On successful verification and processing of the application, the change will be made and the name will be added in the electoral roll of the new constituency.
Residents of Bangalore can enrol for their voter ID cards using both offline and online methods, as well as track their application status and make corrections in a hassle-free manner using the above guidelines.