One of the fundamental right of every Indian citizen is the right to vote. Democracy is based on the concept of voting and it is every citizen’s duty to vote so that their chosen representative can be elected. Citizens above the age of 18 can vote for a candidate of their choice.
Process of voting is conducted by a body known as Election Commission of India which also oversees and conducts elections. The main duty of this body is to ensure that elections are conducted according to rules and regulations in a fair and free manner.
India is the largest democracy in the world, making it quite a task for the Election Commission to conduct free and fair elections. Each state, therefore has its own Election Commission that can be approached for any issues regarding voting and elections along with procuring the necessary documents.
India having the largest electorate in the world makes it difficult for the Election Commission of India to conduct elections and ensure they are conducted in a free and fair manner each time elections are held.
Eligibility Criteria To Get EPIC(Electoral Photo Identity Card)
In order to be able to vote in India, the candidate must be a citizen of the country and should be above the age of 18. Mentally unsound people and bankrupt people will not be allowed to vote.
Steps To Apply For Voter ID
Steps to Apply Online for Voter ID
Individuals in Ahmedabad need to follow the steps provided below in order to apply for a Voter ID:
- They will have to first visit the official website of the Chief Electoral Officer of Gujarat and click on the link titled ‘Online Voter Registration’.
- Once this is done, individuals will have to first check if their name is a part of electoral roll. If not they will have to fill in Form 6 and submit it online.
- Along with Form 6, they will also have to provide proof of their age, address, identity and a photograph.
- An acknowledgement will be provided with a unique number.
- Information will be verified by a visiting Booth Level Officer as well.
- Once verification is done, the Voter ID will be sent to the registered address by post.
How to Apply Offline
If individuals wish to apply for their ID offline, they can follow the steps mentioned below and procure a Voter ID in Ahmedabad.
- Individuals will have to visit the official website or the Electoral Office closest to them and procure Form 6.
- This form will have to be completely filled and submitted along with necessary documents such as identity proof, address proof and photographs that are of passport size.
- Once everything has been submitted, a Block Level Officer will visit the candidate to verify said documents and necessities.
- Once this is done, individuals will receive a copy of their Voter ID in their post within a few weeks.
Tracking Voter ID Status
Once applicants have successfully submitted their completed Form 6 along with all necessary documents, they will receive an application number through which can they check the status of their Voter ID.
Track Voter ID Status Online
In order to track the status of their Voter ID online, applicants will have to visit the official website of the Chief Electoral Officer of Gujarat and click on the link titled ‘Know Your Application Status’. They have the option to check their status either by providing their Name or Form ID or by District.
- If they click on the Form ID/Name, they will have to either provide the application number they had received when they first applied for the Voter ID or their name, surname, name of husband/father along with the type of Form. After this they will have to click on the tab titled ‘Search’ and their Voter ID status will be displayed.
- If applicants opt for ‘District’ then they will have to provide details regarding their district and assembly along with Form details after which status of their application will be displayed.
Track Voter ID Status via SMS
Applicants can only check if their name is a part of the electoral roll through SMS. They will have to sms epic <space><Voter ID number> to 8511199899
Track Voter ID Status via ECI Helpline
Applicants can also track their applications through the dedicated ECI helpline number 1950, which is operational from 10 am – 5 pm on working days.
While applying for a Voter ID, individuals will have to submit the following documents:
- Address proof - Passport/Aadhaar Card/ Driving License, Utility Bills, Ration Card, Passbook.
- Age Proof - Passport/Birth Certificate/Aadhaar Card/PAN Card, Passbook from a Bank/Driving License.
- Passport size photographs that have been taken in the recent past.
Steps to Apply for Duplicate Voter ID Card in Ahmedabad
A duplicate Voter ID can be availed by applicants by following the steps mentioned below:
- If their Voter ID has been stolen or lost, they will first have to visit the nearest police station and file an FIR or First Information Report.
- Individuals will have to then procure Form 002 and fill in all the required details. This should be submitted along with necessary details such as identity proof to the nearest electoral office.
- These details will then be verified and a duplicate Voter ID will be sent to the applicant’s residence.
How to Get Corrections/Changes Made to Voter ID Cards Online
There are times when information printed on the Voter ID is incorrect or misspelled. In such cases, applicants will have to get these details corrected and they can do so by following the steps mentioned below:
Updating/Correcting address using Form 8:
- In case the individual wants to correct some information or make changes then they will have to download Form 8 which will allow them to change details present in their Voter ID.
- This Form is also known as an Application for Correction of Particulars in Electoral Roll and this can be downloaded from the website of the Chief Electoral Officer, Gujarat.
- This form will have to be filled with details such as name, age, Voter ID number along with proof of the detail to be corrected. For example, if the individual’s address has been misspelt, then address proof must be provided.
- Once submitted, all necessary details will be verified and corrections will be made.
- Change of Constituency using Form 8A:
- In case individuals have shifted houses but are still residing in the same constituency, they can request for necessary changes to be made by providing Form 8A.
- This form is available on the official website of the Chief Electoral Officer of Gujarat.
- Necessary details such as name, age, proof of new address(rent agreement, utility bills, Deed of Ownership).
- Once all documents have been verified, necessary changes will be made will appear on the electoral roll.
Steps to get Corrections made to Voter ID cards Offline
In case individuals are not able to procure required forms to make relevant changes online, they can do so offline as well by following the steps mentioned below:
- Updating/Correction of Address using Form 8
- In case individuals cannot procure Form 8 online, they can avail the same by visiting the electoral office and submit the filled form along with necessary documents.
- After documents have been verified, changes will be made.
- Change of Constituency using Form 8A:
- In case individuals have changed their residence within the same constituency, they can apply for necessary changes to be made by visiting the electoral office and procuring Form 8A.
- This form will have to be filled and submitted along with necessary documents.
- Once all details are verified, required changes will be made.
FAQs Voter's ID Ahmedabad
- Do individuals have to pay to procure a Voter ID?
No, individuals can avail a Voter ID for free.
- What does electoral roll mean?
The list of citizens who are eligible to cast votes is known as an electoral roll. Every Assembly Constituency has an electoral roll.
- How can individuals delete their name from an electoral roll?
In order to delete their name or another person’s name by procuring, filling and submitting Form 7. This form can either be procured online on the official website of the Chief Electoral Officer of Gujarat or at the electoral office in their area.
- In order to procure a duplicate Voter ID, what are the documents that are to be submitted?
If individuals wish to avail a duplicate Voter ID, they will have to submit the following online or to the electoral office:
- Completed and signed Form 002
- In case Voter ID was stolen or lost, then an FIR that has been lodged for the same.
- Address proof
- Age proof
- Can an individual be enrolled in more than one constituency?
No, individuals can only be registered in one area/constituency.