With advances coming in every passing day in how we use and operate our computers, how we organize our documents why then should we stick to outdated methodology when it comes to filing our Income tax Returns online. Every year the income tax department releases an updated ITR utility which helps us file our returns electronically but the latest ITR utility released by the Income Tax Department is a step towards embracing the innovations out there. The older files used to be an excel file wherein details of the tax was to be furnished and the generated XML file was to be uploaded online. The latest version is a highly improved version of the excel file and is a java based version which has a whole range of features that make it better to use than the earlier excel versions.
Advantages of Java Based ITR Utility:
The main advantage of this utility is that it allows the users the option of automatically uploading the income tax return directly of the ITR utility whereas the previous excel version required the user to create an XML file using the utility and upload this XML file onto the website.
Another advantage is that the utility still supports the previous methods of preparing the income tax returns. For those people who find the newer versions too complicated, the version also offers the choice of uploading the income tax return manually.
Features of the Java Based ITR Utility:
Below are some of the key features and their functions one will find in the new ITR Utility:
- New: To open a new ITR Form
- Open: Used to import a successfully generated earlier XML file belonging to a particular assessment year by allowing the user to select the path and import the file
- Save: to save the completed XML onto a desired location in the computer
- Save draft: this option allows users to save a completed XML however, the files saved using this option can only be uploaded online
- Prefill: this option can be used to fetch pre filled data such as details of the user like name, address etc. instead of filling this details every time the user files the income tax return, they can login to the income tax website through the utility and have their details fetched. This option requires the user to be connected to the internet
- Recalculate: this button recalculates tax payable as per the income tax slab rates
- Previous/next: helps navigate within the utility to various tabs
- Help: provides info on shortkeys, instructions, settings and FAQ’s
- Submit: this button directly uploads the income tax return from the ITR utility directly onto the income tax website. At the time of submission, user is required to provide login details for the income tax website. Once this has been successfully approved, the return will be submitted online and the ITR-V will be generated.