File Income Tax Return after a Job Change

Upload Form 16 containing salary details from your previous as well as the current employer. Next, subtract and enter the salary received from the previous employer under ‘Íncome Sources' and insert the past salary details under 'Add Another Salary'.

As a salaried individual, you may decide to change your job for a better pay grade or profile. All the same, some things do not change. For instance, filing your returns is mandatory. However, e-filing may become a tad complicated if you have changed jobs in a financial year. You need to ensure that you have all the required documents in order to avoid any error in filing your tax returns at the end of a financial year.

Multiple Form 16

An individual may have multiple Form 16s if he or she switches a job in a financial year or works with multiple employers. First off, you should get your Form-16 from your previous employer. You should get the Form 16 before you quit the company. In case, you did not get your Form 16, there is no need to panic. You can add your salary credited to your account along with the tax deducted throughout the period of your employment in the previous company (based on salary slips or statements). You should then check whether the tax deducted matches the figure on your Form 26AS, which is available on the official website of the Income Tax Department. Given that your employer has to submit TDS to the government every year, the part A of Form 26AS will have multiple entries.

Provident Fund

A part of your salary goes into your Provident Fund account every month. Likewise, your employer makes an equal contribution to your PF account. You can either choose to withdraw money from your EPF account or transfer it to your new employer at the time of quitting your company. It is important to note that if you make any withdrawals from your EPF account before completion of five years, the amount is taxable. If you wish to transfer your EPF account, you have to fill out Form 19 and Form 10C.

How to e-File When you Switch to New Jobs

The following table shows the various steps to be taken to ensure that your file your returns without any hassles

Particulars Description
Upload Form 16 (latest)
  • The latest Form-16 should contain the salary you received from your previous employer
  • Form 16 should also contain details of taxable salary from your previous employer
  • You should upload the latest Form-16 from your current employer
Add ‘Another Salary’
  • In the "Income Sources" section, subtract the salary you received from your previous employer from the total amount. The remaining amount is the salary of the current employer
  • Click on ‘Add Another Salary
Add salary of previous employer
  • You should enter details of the salary of your previous employer
  • Press ‘save

Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.

This Page is BLOCKED as it is using Iframes.