E-verification of income tax returns online has made the entire process easier, faster, and more streamlined. Once Aadhaar has been linked, it can be used to verify income tax returns. This takes very little time and a few easy steps.
Income Tax Returns (ITR), once filed, need to be verified. Until recently, to verify your ITR filed online, you had to download the ITR-Verification (ITR-V) from the e-filing portal once the return is filed, and send a signed copy of it to Centralised Processing Centre (CPC), Bengaluru to confirm your Income Tax Return
But now, this step can be eliminated from the process of filing returns, as the Income Tax Department is allowing individuals to verify their ITR online through 3 methods:
- Using electronic verification code (EVC)
- Using NetBanking
- Using Aadhaar Card
How To Link Aadhar And PAN For ITR Verification on the IT Department Portal
In order to verify your ITR with Aadhaar Card, you first need to link your Aadhaar with PAN. Once this is done, the ITR can be verified through the mobile number registered on your Aadhar. Aadhar and PAN can be linked only if the Name, Date of Birth and Gender on both the cards match. If your PAN card is in your maiden name and the Aadhaar Card in your post-marital name, for example, then you will not be able to link the cards until you correct the name in one of the documents. Also, you should link Aadhaar with PAN only if you are still using the mobile number that you registered with the Aadhaar.
Linking your Aadhaar with your PAN is an easy online process. Follow the steps given below:
- Sign in to the efiling Income Taxwebsite.
- On the main page, click on “link Aadhaar”.
- Enter your PAN details, Aadhaar number and name as mentioned in your PAN and Aadhaar card.
- Click on “agree for the UIDAI to validate your Aadhaar card details”.
- Enter the captcha or choose the OTP option.
- Select the ‘Link Aadhaar’ option.
- Provided details such as Name, DoB and Gender on both Aadhaar and PAN are the same, then the cards will be linked.
How To e-Verify ITR Using EVC?
If your Aadhaar is not linked to the PAN, you can still verify your Income Tax Return online using an electronic verification code. EVC can be generated either through NetBanking account or through the registered email and mobile number.
- You can get an EVC in 2 ways: by going to the ‘e-File’ tab on the portal menu, or generating an EVC immediately after filing the return.
- If you are generating an EVC from the ‘e-File’ menu, select ‘Generate EVC’ to get a 10-digit code on your registered email and/or mobile number. You can use this EVC by choosing the first option (out of 4) after filing the ITR – ‘I already have an EVC to e-verify my return’.
- If you want to generate an EVC after filing your return, you need to select the second option of ‘I do not have an EVC and would like to generate EVC’ among the 4 options that come on the screen.
- Enter the 10-digit EVC on the next page and your return will be verified. You may download the acknowledgement if you want.
If none of these options work for you, you can still send a physical signed copy of the ITR-V to CPC and verify your return.