Income Tax Returns (ITR), once filed, need to be verified. Until recently, to verify your ITR filed online, you had to download the ITR-Verification (ITR-V) from the e-filing portal once the return is filed, and send a signed copy of it to Centralised Processing Centre (CPC), Bengaluru to confirm your Income Tax Return.
But now, this step can be eliminated from the process of filing returns, as the Income Tax Department is allowing individuals to verify their ITR online through 3 methods:
- Using electronic verification code (EVC)
- Using NetBanking
- Using Aadhaar Card
How To Link Aadhar And PAN For ITR Verification
In order to verify your ITR with Aadhaar Card, you first need to link your Aadhaar with PAN. Once this is done, the ITR can be verified through the mobile number registered on your Aadhar. Aadhar and PAN can be linked only if the Name, Date of Birth and Gender on both the cards matches. If your PAN card is in your maiden name and the Aadhaar Card in your post-marital name, for example, then you will not be able to link the cards until you correct the name in one of the documents. Also, you should link Aadhaar with PAN only if you are still using the mobile number that you registered with the Aadhaar.
Linking your Aadhaar with your PAN is an easy online process. Follow the steps given below:
- Sign in to the Income Tax e-filing website and hover on the ‘Profile Settings’ tab.
- Select the ‘Link Aadhaar’ option. Enter your Aadhaar number and choose to ‘Link Now’.
- If details such as Name, DoB and Gender on both Aadhar and PAN are the same, then the cards will be linked.
How To e-Verify ITR Using Aadhar?
Once the Aadhaar number is linked to your Income Tax profile, you can generate an Aadhaar OTP for e-verification of the Income Tax Return.
- Upload your ITR through the Income Tax e-Filing website.
- Once this is done, you will asked how you want to verify your return. The following options will appear:
- I already have an EVC to e-verify my return.
- I do not have an EVC and would like to generate EVC to e-Verify my return.
- I would like to generate Aadhaar OTP to e-Verify my return.
- I would like to send ITR-V/I would like to e-verify Later.
- Select the third option of generating Aadhaar OTP. A One-Time Password will be sent to the mobile number registered on your Aadhaar. This OTP will be valid only for 10 minutes.
- Enter the OTP you received on your registered mobile number on the page.
- If the correct OTP is submitted, you will get the message ‘Return successfully e-Verified. Download the Acknowledgement’. This acknowledgement will also be sent to your registered email id. You can also download the acknowledgement to your computer by choosing the ‘Download’ option.
By following this process, your ITR is acknowledged and you no longer need to send a copy of the ITR-V to CPC, Bengaluru.
How To e-Verify ITR Using EVC?
If your Aadhaar is not linked to the PAN, you can still verify your Income Tax Return online using an electronic verification code. EVC can be generated either through NetBanking account or through the registered email and mobile number.
- You can get an EVC in 2 ways: by going to the ‘e-File’ tab on the portal menu, or generating an EVC immediately after filing the return.
- If you are generating an EVC from the ‘e-File’ menu, select ‘Generate EVC’ to get a 10-digit code on your registered email and/or mobile number. You can use this EVC by choosing the first option (out of 4) after filing the ITR – ‘I already have an EVC to e-verify my return’.
- If you want to generate an EVC after filing your return, you need to select the second option of ‘I do not have an EVC and would like to generate EVC’ among the 4 options that come on the screen.
- Enter the 10-digit EVC on the next page and your return will be verified. You may download the acknowledgement if you want.
If none of these options work for you, you can still send a physical signed copy of the ITR-V to CPC and verify your return.