The Value Added Tax or VAT was initially established by the Central Government of India. It was basically a charge on the goods and services provided to the end consumer by providers. Since then, Goods and Services Tax has taken over!
All dealers who are registered under the VAT Act of 2003, and selected for the purpose, can file VAT Return online. The dealer will have a user ID and password and they do not then they can register on the commercial tax website and file their returns online.
The process to file e-returns for VAT in Gujarat is very simple. It just requires five easy steps to be able to file e-returns.
These steps are:
- Registration on the Website - You will need to go to the Gujarat Commercial Tax Website, on the home page click on the sign-up link and register.
- Login - To register to pay VAT, fill in the details such as TIN, registration date, password, confirm password, security question, security answer, check the terms and conditions box, and click on submit. Once the registration is complete, dealers will have login credentials that they can use to log into the site to pay the VAT due.
- Preparation for the return - Download the templates, fill it with appropriate data, fill in the Form 201, Form 201C, Form 203 and Form 204 and save it on the desktop.
- Uploading the return - After filling in the Forms upload them in either .xls or .csv formats, click on the upload button, and then click on the submit button.
- Acknowledgement - After uploading the forms, you will need to generate an acknowledgement, by clicking on the generate acknowledgement button.
Once these steps are completed, should nothing go wrong, the VAT paid by the merchants and dealers will be registered and they will be able to continue operating their business as usual.