The mPassport Seva(or the Mobile Passport Seva) is exclusively designed for the Indians, who are solely interested in passport-based information. It is a user-friendly and lightweight app that offers specific information about the following:
- Passport location centers
- Passport fees
- Contact details
- Passport application status
- General information about the passport
The Passport Seva project is executed by the MEA’s (Ministry of External Affairs) CPV (Consular, Passport, and Visa) division and Indian Government to provide all the services associated to passport in a transparent, convenient, and speedy manner.
It is one of the biggest projects being executed under the NeGP (National e-Governance Plan) in private- public-partnership with TCS (Tata Consultancy Services). The project is servicing the nationals through 77+ Passport Offices across India.
However, MEA planned to offer mobile services to the public and that’s when the concept of mPassport app was developed and launched. The app offers a wide range of services to all the smartphone users. The mPassport Seva app is available for iOS, Android, Blackberry, and Windows platforms.
How to Apply for a New Passport Using the Passport Seva App?
With the government recently launching a mobile application called mPassport Seva App, getting a passport will now become much easier. The app released by the Consular, Passport and Visa (CPV) division, which was launched by Sushma Swaraj, the External Affairs Minister on the occasion of Passport Seva Diwas is expected to make the entire process simpler courtesy two new schemes. The schemes, called ‘Passport Application from Anywhere in India’ and Filling Passport Applications Forms from Mobile Phones’ apart from simplifying the application process for passports is expected to make things easier for hundreds of Indian citizens who plan to undertake a Haj pilgrimage.
Here, we look at how an applicant can apply for a fresh passport using the Passport Seva App. The process is similar to the existing system that is being followed by ‘Passport Seva’ website. The detailed process is mentioned below:
- Download the mPassport Seva app available for Android or iOS
- Open the app
- Click on ‘New User Register’
- Select the Passport Office from the drop-down menu
- Next, enter the details like name, date of birth, email ID etc
- Following that, provide the unique login ID (It can be the same as the email ID that the applicany uses)
- Provide a strong password
- Select, a security question and answer in order to retrieve the password if it is forgotten
- Enter the captcha code and click on ‘Submit’
- On doing so, an email with a verification link would be sent to the provided email address by the passport office to activate the account
- On clicking the verification link, the applicant will be redirected to a new webpage and asked to enter the login ID for confirmation
- After the account is verified, the applicant is required to close the app and relaunch it
- Next, the applicant is required to click on the ‘Existing User’ tab
- Provide the Login ID, password, and the captcha code
- Thereafter, click on ‘Apply for fresh passport’
- Fill in the form and follow the steps mentioned on the app
- Make the payment of the requisite fee
- The final step is to fix an appointment to visit a passport center for document verification
How to track the status of the application using the app?
The status of the application made for a new passport can be tracked using the ‘Status Tracker’ on the app. After clicking on the icon of ‘Status Tracker’, the individual needs to select ‘Application Status’. Thereafter, provide the file number and the date of birth and click on ‘Track’.
Features of mPassport Seva App
- The app guides or gives information about the several steps that are involved to acquire a passport-related service. Say for example, where to ask if the customer has a concern or a query.
- A user can easily search for a DPC (District Passport Cell) or PSK (Passport Seva Kendra). In fact, a citizen who is living overseas can also look for relevant details about the Posts/Missions abroad.
- For some specific districts and states, a user can effortlessly search for his/her respective Police Station too.
- The app’s Fee Calculator option also helps a user to get information about the fee, service charges, and the submission mode.
- A user can keep a track of his/her passport application status by just entering the date of birth and file number. If the passport is dispatched, the app also offers an option to track its delivery status.