Citizens of India can apply for a passport either through the Passport Seva (Online Portal) or through the District Passport Cell (DPC) which is considered to be an offline method of passport application. The passport application form can be downloaded from the Passport Seva website or through the DPC directly. All applicants are required to follow these steps to initiate the offline passport application process:
- Submission of Application - The filled in application form along with the original and the photocopies of the required documents are required for initiating the passport application through the DPC.
- Application Verification - The details in the application form and documents submitted by the applicant will be verified against information accuracy and eligibility parameters. Successful verification will allow an applicant to pay the required application fee.
- Fee Payment and Tracking - After fee payment through Demand Draft (DD), applicants are provided with an acknowledgement letter which contains the File Number. It is essential to note the File Number in order to track the status of the passport application.
Things to consider while submitting passport applications at the DPC
- Demand Draft - The DD should reflect the name of the applicant and his/her date of birth. Applicants are instructed to write the date of passport application submission on the back side of the DD. The DD must be issued by a scheduled bank with a validity of at least 60 days from the date of application submission. Based on the application fee, the DD should be of the exact value.
- Photograph - Applicants will need to provide their recent colour photograph which must be taken against white or light background. The passport sized photograph of 4.5 mm X 3.5mm should be pasted on the designated box of the application form.
- Additional Documents - The passport application form along with the original as well as the photocopy of the documents need to be submitted at the DPC. For each of the required document category, the applicant can choose to submit a particular document out of the many available options.
The online portal - www.passportindia.gov.in which is the official website for Passport Seva under the Consular, Passport & Visa Division of Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), provides a downloadable 'Instructions Booklet' in PDF format. The booklet contains important guidelines of filling in the passport application form. Applicants are advised to go through the booklet before starting to fill the application form.