• Steps to Transfer Car Registration from one City to Another

    Car Registration Transfer Procedure


    1. Get a NOC from the Bank
    2. Get a NOC from the RTO where you vehicle is registered
    3. Re-registering process in the new city
    4. Refund of road tax
    5. Cancellation of NOC if you have not moved your vehicle

    You need to transfer your car registration if you are shifting from one city to another. For example, if one is shifting possibly from Delhi to Bangalore, the first step that the car owner needs to do is to re-register his/her car in the state/city he/she is moving to. This has to be done before you get an NOC (No-objection certificate) from the where the car has been registered originally. To help you transfer your car, the whole process has been explained in detail.

    Step 1: Obtain an NOC from the Bank

    If you had taken a loan to buy the vehicle that you own now, you would first need to contact the bank and attain an NOC from them. Pay a visit to the bank and submit the necessary documents – proof of address in the new place, reason for transfer (job transfer, etc.). The bank will then verify your application of transfer and if all the documents are legitimate, they will hand you an NOC.

    Step 2: Obtain a NOC from the RTO where you vehicle is registered

    Once you receive the NOC from your lender, the next step will be to obtain an NOC from the Regional Transport Office where your car has been registered. For example, if you are moving from Mumbai to Bangalore, you would need to obtain an NOC from the Mumbai RTO. You will have to submit Form 27 and Form 28 along with the copy of the NOC you obtained from the lender and the list of documents mentioned below:

    • NOC application for interstate transfer.
    • Next, you will have to submit the certificate of registration, insurance document, tax slip, and your current emission test certificate.
    • The original chassis imprint of the vehicle will also have to be submitted.
    • A few copies of CMV Form 28.
    • To speed up the process, you must also obtain an NOC from the police department. This will prove that you are eligible to continue with the process of making the transfer, since you have no cases pending against you.

    As soon as the NOC is obtained from the RTO, you are good to start the process of transferring your car from one city to another.

    Step 3: Re-registering process in the new city

    As soon as you have transferred your car, the first step you will have to take is to re-register your car in the new city. Most RTOs give customers a time of 6 months to a year to carry out the registration, but ensure that you complete the process before the NOC expires. Locate the RTO your area of residence falls under and carry the below listed documents to initiate the process.

    • Original RC copy
    • Copy of Insurance of the car.
    • Copy of the NOC you received in the previous steps - from the bank, police department, and the RTO.
    • Form 29-30 for re-registration.
    • Emission test certificate
    • Photo ID and local address proof.
    • Applicable fees like road tax, octroi charges.

    As soon as you have submitted the documents, the RTO will take a few days to issue your registration number. For this, going through an agent will surely make the process faster and simpler. That said, if you are moving temporarily, you do not have to struggle with the re-registration process unnecessarily. As mentioned above, you can drive for a maximum of 12 months in a new city without the need of going for a re-registration - as per the rules of the RTO.

    Step 4: Refund of road tax

    For example, if the original place of registration is in Delhi, and you have made a payment of lifetime road tax and have then decided to move, you can actually file for a refund as you would either way need to pay road tax in the city you have moved to. To do this, you will have to first re-register your car in the new place and then request the RTO where you registered your car to refund the road tax amount. Listed below is the process that you would have to undergo to get a refund of the road tax. You will have to submit the following documents:

    • Road tax refund application.
    • RTO Form 16 which has been self-attested.
    • RC copy with new registration number.
    • Next, RC copy with old registration number.
    • Insurance certificate with new registration number.
    • Finally, Photo ID proof and proof of address.

    As soon as the documents have been submitted, both the RTOs - handling the old and new registration will contact each other to authenticate whether the re-registration is complete. The RTO of original registration will then request for a CRTI, only on receival of the CRTI will then initiate the process of refunding your road tax. The whole process is lengthy and could take up to 6 months for you to receive your refund.

    Step 5: Cancellation of NOC if you have not moved your vehicle

    If for some reason you have decided against moving to another city, you will have to apply for the cancellation of your NOC. To do this, you will have to follow the steps mentioned below.

    • Obtain a NUC (Non Utilisation Certificate) of NOC from the RTO where you first got the NOC.
    • Next, you must obtain an Affidavit stating the reason and ensuring that there is no misuse of the vehicle and you want to cancel the NOC.

    If you are transferring the registration of your vehicle from one city to another, the process will seem difficult at the beginning. You can diligently follow the steps mentioned above and get the job done, although it might take at least a month for the whole process to be completed - considering that you would need to obtain NOCs from the police department, bank, RTO, etc., and then the process of re-registration of the vehicle in the new city that you have moved to.

    If you find yourself unable to handle it on your own, you can always hire an agent to guide you through the whole process - though it might cost you a bit. Getting the process done through an agent might be a little expensive, but the job will get done faster, saving you valuable time.

    Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.

    This Page is BLOCKED as it is using Iframes.