Getting a Voter ID Card is time consuming. One has to put in efforts to get a Election Card in our country. However, after all that, due to some reasons, they might want to cancel their name from the electoral roll. Some of the reasons people take their name off the voter’s list are if they no longer live in the same place or change in citizenship.
Why you should cancel your voter registration?
Voter Registration cancellation is being spoken about these days as people are aware of the importance. Some of the reason people cancel their voter registration are:
- Not cancelling your name from the electoral poll can lead to bogus voting and other social electoral evils.
- Death of the voter.
- If you are moving to another city or country.
- If you are a citizen in some other country.
- In case of duplication and you have two Voter ID Card in your name.
How to delete your name from the Voters list
- If you want to cancel your name from the electoral list, you will have to submit a duly filed Voter ID Form 7.
- A Form 7 can be downloaded online or you can walk into the nearest The Electoral Registration Office and collect the form in person.
- This 2-page will have guidelines for filing the form in the third page for your reference.
- You will be asked to enter the name of the Electoral Registration Officer you are addressing the letter to.
- You will have three options in the form. The first option is to oppose the inclusion of a person in the electoral roll. The second option is to delete a person’s name from the electoral roll and the third option is to delete your own name in from the list.
- Choose the appropriate option and proceed.
- In the next step, you will be asked to enter the particulars of the applicant you wish to delete from the list.
- You will be required to write the applicant’s name, Surname, Part Number, Serial Number, and EPIC Number.
- You will then be asked to clearly explain the reason why you are requesting for the applicant’s name to be removed.
- You will have to submit this with the applicant’s signature to the Electoral Registration Officer.
- You can submit the form in person, courier it, or do it online.
If you are not an active voter, it is your responsibility to get your name off the voters list. If your name is present and you do not exercise your rights to vote, it will lead to malpractice and bogus voting which will change the fate of politics in India. For fair voting, check the voters list right away and delete your name if you have to.