The Union Budget of 2020 (announced by Finance Minister, Nirmala Sitharaman) has ushered in a horde of new changes and developments. This is specifically for the railway sector and the senior citizens of the country. Checking your tax slab will be beneficial.
PM Narendra Modi made the railways sector a prominent part of the Union Budget in 2020. Even though railways has always been a separate entity from the Union Budget, all of that changed in the previous year. In the usual manner, this year as well, the railways sector is expected to garner maximum attention from the upcoming Budget 2021 to be released on 1st February, 2020.
Proposals for Railways in Budget 2020
For Indian Railways:
- Re-development project to be undertaken for the betterment of 4 stations through the PPP models.
- Development of solar capacity in Indian Railways.
- Plans to be executed for the development of more projects like Tejas for connecting various tourist locations across the country.
- Bengaluru Suburban Transportation project to be launched wherein the Government will be spending Rs.18,600 crore.
Major Expectations for Railways from the Union Budget 2020
- Safety: A surge in the number of rail accidents has definitely raised the concern for better and improved rail infrastructure in India. In the previous year, the total count of train accidents rose to an alarming number of 48. Therefore, owing to these reasons, the railways sector is expected to get the maximum attention amongst all sectors. The expectation mainly lies in the domains of increasing precautionary measures, an upgraded infrastructure at the railway stations as well as inside the trains, improved facilities provided by executives serving inside the trains, new and advanced technical systems to signal warning in case of emergencies. The Indian Railways has already established a GPS based navigation system to better track, delays and accidents caused by fog. Deployment of drones in the railway stations for an improved crowd management is also on the agenda list. If allocations in these spheres get their due approval, we are sure to witness the most technologically advanced modern Railway network.
- Comfort: Despite installations of bio-toilets and upgraded infrastructure, the condition of the trains remain poor and highly contaminated. In an age where more and more people are shifting towards travelling via flights, a clean and dirt-free train journey can go a long way in ensuring that people of the country stick to traveling via railways.
- Cost: With the gradual approach of the 2020 general elections, the Modi government might consider reducing the existing fees for reservation but a major concern lies in the fact that the dip in the generation of revenue might effectively hamper the Railways in the future.
- Convenience: The “golden quadrilateral” project aims to connect all the metro cities through a single unified railway network. The same is believed to receive a huge chunk in the funds allocation and is likely to commence this year itself.
- Technology: Railways automation signalling system is expected to receive a huge allocation in this year’s Budget.
Indian Railways is expected to make a major breakthrough this year with advanced technology and improved infrastructure.
Union Budget Other Pages
- Union Budget Agriculture Sector
- Union Budget Analysis
- Union Budget Appropriation Bill
- Union Budget Auto Industry
- Union Budget Defence Sector
- Union Budget Energy Sector
- Union Budget Expenditure
- Union Budget Finance Bill
- Union Budget Financial Sector
- Union Budget Fiscal Situation
- Union Budget Logistics Sector
- Union Budget Maternity Benefit Schemes
- Union Budget On Infrastructure
- Union Budget Poor Underprivilege Health Care
- Union Budget Receipts