Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) allows users without a smartphone or data/internet connection to use mobile banking through the *99# code. USSD-based mobile banking can be used for fund transfers, checking account balance, generating bank statement, among other uses. The main objective of the innovative *99# payments service is to allow financial inclusion of the underbanked and economically weaker sections of the society, and integrate them into mainstream banking. In an effort to make this service accessible to all, the service is available in 12 languages, including English and other Indian languages such as Hindi, Tamil, Bengali, and Kannada, to name a few.
USSD is a technology platform through which information can be transmitted through a GSM network on a basic phone. This service will be available on all mobile phones with SMS facility. To use USSD mobile banking, users will have to simply dial *99# and use the interactive menu. There are many banks in India that are currently providing the *99# service.
What You Can do with USSD Banking?
|Financial Services||Non-Financial Services|
|Fund transfer via:
How to Send Money Using USSD *99# Using MMID & Mobile Number
- Step 1: Register bank account with mobile number and dial *99#
- Step 2: The interface will open up and you can: Type 3 letters of your bank short name or first 4 letters of bank IFSC or 2-digit bank numeric code, proceed to click ‘Send’
- Step 3: Now, choose number ‘3’ to send money and proceed key in payee/beneficiary mobile number
- Step 4: Proceed to key in the beneficiary/payee MMID, transaction amount
- Step 5: Key in MPIN and last 4 digits of your bank account number
How to Send Money Using USSD *99# Using IFSC Code & Bank Account Number
- Step 1: Dial *99# from your registered mobile number
- Step 2: Proceed to keyin 3 letters of your bank short name or first 4 letters of bank IFSC or 2-digit bank numeric code
- Step 3: Choose the option to transfer funds using IFSC code and mobile number
- Step 4: Enter beneficiary/payee account number, IFSC code and transaction amount
- Step 5: Key in MPIN and last 4 digits of your bank account number. A confirmation message will be displayed on screen
Language Codes for USSD Transfer:
Information / Details Required for USSD Fund Transfer:
- Registered mobile number
Features & Benefits of USSD *99# Service
- Works without data connection on a basic phone
- Works round the clock
- Easy to use
- Works on all GSM handsets
- Highly secure interface
FAQ’s of USSD
- Is it required to register your mobile number to use the service?
- How can I know if my bank is offering this service?
- What are the consequences if a user loses his/her mobile phone?
- What are the timings during which the service can be availed?
- Can you use the USSD service on GSM and CDMA mobile phones?
- Do you need an app for using *99#?
- Is there a transaction limit for fund transfers via *99#?
- What can a user do if his/her bank account is debited but the transaction is not processed?
- What is IFSC code?
- What is MMID?
Yes. The mobile number should be registered with your bank account.
To know if your bank is offering the service or not, log on to the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) website.
In such a case, the user will have to immediately block his/her mobile number.
The service can be availed on a 24/7 basis on all 365 days in a year.
The service is available on all GSM handsets but not on CDMA.
Currently, the maximum amount that can be transferred through this service is Rs.5000.
In such a case, the funds will be credited back to the remitters account in real time.
IFSC code is a 11-digit alphanumeric code that is designed by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to identify each bank branch.
MMID, also known as Mobile Money Identifier, is a 7-digit code that is issued to bank customers. This code is used during the fund transfer process.
Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.