You can become a law officer in a public sector bank by appearing in the IBPS specialist officer’s exam. The post is of Scale 1 rank. As part of the job, you will be responsible for providing legal advice to the bank as well as handle its legal issues. Here, we provide you with all the information that you need to know about the post like job profile, eligibility, how to apply, application fee, exam pattern, etc. Read on to know more.
Job Profile of a Law Officer :
A law officer does the things listed below:
- Ensures that all rules and regulations laid down by the Reserve Bank of India are followed by the bank
- Prepares initial drafts of legislation administered or to be administered by the bank
- Prepares legal documents for different processes
- Guides the bank to act as per various laws
To apply for the post of a law officer, you need to fulfil the eligibility criteria listed below:
- You must be a citizen of India or
- A subject of Bhutan or
- A subject of Nepal or
- A Tibetan refugee who came to the country before 1 January 1962 intending to permanently settle in the country or
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Burma, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia or Vietnam to permanently settle in India provided that they have been issued a certificate of eligibility by the central government.
You should be aged between 20 and 30 years (Candidates belonging to reserved categories are offered age relaxation)
Relaxation in the Upper age limit
|Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe||5 years|
|Other Backward Classes||3 years|
|Persons with Disability||10 years|
|Ex-servicemen and Commissioned officers||5 years|
|Persons ordinarily domiciled in Jammu and Kashmir during 1-1-80 to 31-12-89||5 years|
|Persons affected by 1984 riots||5 years|
You should have a bachelor’s degree in Law and must be enrolled as an advocate with the Bar Council.
How to apply for the post of law officer
You can apply for the post by filling up the application form for the IBPS Specialist Officers’ exam. You can apply online by visiting the IBPS website. The detailed process of applying online is mentioned below:
- Visit ibps.in
- Click on ‘CRP Specialist Officers’
- Select the option ‘Click here to apply online for CRP – Specialist Officers’
- Next, select ‘Click here on new registration’
- Enter the details asked for and click on ‘Submit’
- On successful registration, a provisional registration number and password will be generated and sent to the email ID and mobile number. You can use it to reopen the saved data and make changes to it if required.
The application fee which you need to pay while applying for the exam is Rs.600 if you belong to the general category. In case, you belong to reserved categories the payable fee will be Rs.100.
The recruitment of a law officer is done after a three-tier exam which comprises of the preliminary exam, Main exam, and the interview. The structure of both the preliminary and main exam is listed below:
The exam pattern of the preliminary exam for the recruitment of a law officer is as follows:
|Name of Section||Total number of questions||Total number of marks/||Duration|
|English Language||50||25||40 minutes|
|General Awareness with special reference to the banking industry||50||50||40 minutes|
|Name of the test||Total number of questions||Total number of marks||Duration|
|Professional knowledge||60||60||45 minutes|
Note: There will be a penalty of 0.25 marks or one-fourth of the marks assigned to a question for every wrong answer in both the preliminary and main exam.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Will IBPS dispatch the admit card for the preliminary exam to my residence?
- Do I need to qualify in all the three sections of the preliminary exam to be shortlisted for the Main exam?
- Do I need to score a minimum percentage of marks in the LLB exam to be eligible?
- What is the minimum qualifying mark in the interview?
- Do I need to upload the hand-written declaration at the time of applying for the post of law officer?
No, IBPS won’t dispatch it. You need to download it from the IBPS website by logging in to your account using the registration number and password.
Yes, you will need to score the minimum cut-off marks in all the three sections of the preliminary exam to be considered for the Main exam.
There is no mention of a minimum percentage. If you have an LLB degree you are eligible.
The minimum qualifying marks in the interview will not be less than 40 percent. For reserved categories, it will be 35 percent.
Yes, you will be required to upload the hand-written declaration.