The Institute of Banking Personnel Section (IBPS) conducts exam every year in order to recruit candidates for banking jobs. The autonomous body recruits for clerical cadre, probationary officers and specialist officers. Here, we look at the eligibility criteria for IBPS Probationary Officers Exam 2020. Read on to know whether you are eligible and what criteria you need to conform to.
While IBPS hasn’t released the official notification till date, it is safe to say that the eligibility criteria will be the same as the previous years. The eligibility criteria for the exam is based on various factors like the candidate’s nationality, age, and educational qualifications. Candidates belonging to reserved categories may need to fulfil additional criteria.
IBPS PO 2020 Nationality criteria
A candidate must either be
- A Citizen of India or
- A Subject of Nepal/Bhutan or
- A Tibetan refugee who came to India prior to 1 January 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in the country
- A Person of Indian Origin (PIO) who migrated from countries like Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Burma, Kenya, United Republic of Tanzania, Uganda, Vietnam, Ethiopia, Malawi, Zaire, and Zambia with the intention of permanently settling in the country.
IBPS PO 2020 Educational Qualification
In order to apply for the IBPS PO exam, you need to have a graduation degree in any discipline from a recognized university or any equivalent qualification recognized by the central government. Certain points which you to keep in mind regarding the educational qualification criteria are listed below:
- The qualifying exam must be passed on or before 28 August 2020
- The date mentioned on the marksheet will be considered as the official date of passing the qualifying exam.
- A copy of the marksheet or passing certificate needs to be submitted at the time of interview to prove that the exam was cleared before the cut-off date.
- If the result is posted only on the university’s official website or a web-based certificate is provided, you will need to get the certificate issued in original and ensure that it is signed by the appropriate authority of the University indicating the date of passing.
- You have to clearly specify the obtained percentage in the qualifying exam when submitting the online application.
- If your university awards CGPA or OGPA, you will need to convert the same into percentage. This shall be applicable for those Universities as well where class or grade is awarded on the basis of marks obtained in the honours subject.
- The fraction of percentage arrived at will not be ignored. For example, 59.99% will not be rounded off to 60%. It shall be considered as less than 60%.
IBPS PO 2020 Age criteria
Any candidate who is willing to apply for the IBPS PO exam must be between 20 and 30 years of age as of 1 August 2020. Candidates belonging to reserved categories can avail age relaxation. The table listed below highlight the age relaxation depending on the category:
|Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe (SC/ST)||5 years|
|Other Backward Classes (OBC) – Non-Creamy Layer||3 years|
|Persons with Disabilities (PwD)||10 years|
|Ex-Serviceman, Commissioned Officers like ECOs/SSCOs||5 years|
|Persons originally domiciled in Jammu and Kashmir from 1 January 1980 to 31 December 1989||5 years|
|Persons affected by 1984 riots||5 years|
- It must be noted here that the relaxation in upper age limit when it comes to SC/ST/OBC candidates is allowed on cumulative basis with only one of the remaining categories for which age relaxation is permitted.
- To avail age relaxation, candidates must need to produce supporting documents in original and photocopies at any stage of the recruitment process.
- No reservation can be availed in Officers’ cadre for ex-serviceman
- The status of an ex-serviceman ceases once an ex-serviceman joins a government job on the civil side after availing the benefits offered to him as an ex-serviceman.
IBPS PO Eligibility for EWS Category
Candidates who belong from families having gross annual family income of less than Rs. 8 lakhs and are not covered under the existing reservations for Scheduled Castes (SCs), Schedule Tribes (STs) and Other Backward Classes (OBCs) are identified as belonging from the Economically Weaker Section (EWS) category. For them, IBPS reports a 10 percent reservation in the vacancies. The eligibility for availing the benefit under the category are listed below along with the above-mentioned criteria:
- The property/properties owned by the family in different locations would be clubbed while applying the property holding test to determine EWS status.
- The term ‘family’ will include the person who seeks benefit of reservation, his/her parents and siblings below the age of 18 years. His/her spouse and children below the age of 18 years will also be considered.
- An Income and Asset certificate issued by a competent authority in the prescribed format must be submitted at the time of document verification and interview to avail the benefit of EWS reservation.
- The annual family income will include revenue from all sources such as salary, agriculture, business, profession etc. and it shall be the income from the financial year previous to the application year.
A family that has possession of any of the listed below assets irrespective of the annual family income will not be considered as belonging from the EWS category:
- Residential plot of 200 square yards and above in areas other than the notified municipalities.
- Residential plot of 100 square yards and above in notified municipalities.
- Residential flat of 1000 square feet and above.
- 5 acres of agricultural land and above.
IBPS PO Eligibility for PwD Category
When it comes to Persons with Disability (PwD), they are eligible for reservation under section 34 of ‘The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016’ as per the norms laid down by the Government of India. Reservations can be availed under this Act by the candidates who fall under the listed categories:
- Locomotor disability including cerebral palsy, leprosy cured, dwarfism, acid attack victims and muscular dystrophy.
- Deaf and hard of hearing
- Autism, intellectual disability, specific learning disability and mental illness
- Blindness and low vision
- Multiple disabilities from amongst persons under clauses of all the above-mentioned categories including deaf blindness in the posts identified for each disability.
IBPS PO Eligibility FAQs
- I am awaiting my graduation final year result. Can I apply for the IBPS PO exam 2020?
- Am I eligible for filling the IBPS PO online application form given that I am an Arts graduate?
- What is minimum percentage required in the qualifying exam to apply for IBPS PO?
- Do I need to have a computer knowledge certificate in order to apply for IBPS PO Exam, 2020?
- I am 19 years old. Will I be able to apply for the IBPS PO Exam?
As long as the result is declared before the cut-off date mentioned in the official notification, you can apply for the exam.
You can fill the IBPS PO online application if you have a graduation degree, the stream doesn’t matter.
There is no minimum percentage. You can apply for the exam if have completed your graduation.
No, you need not have a computer knowledge certificate to apply for the IBPS PO exam.
No, you won’t be able to apply for the IBPS PO exam as the minimum age to apply for the exam is 20 years.