Welfare schemes to benefit the non-keralites were developed under the aegis of the Non-Resident Keralites Welfare Fund Act of and have successful schemes that have garnered a lot of popularity such as the pension scheme, the pension scheme for invalids, the family pension scheme and the scheme to provide financial assistance to the dependants or nominees of a deceased member and many other schemes such as financial assistance for medical treatments, schemes that provide benefits for marriage of children, maternity benefit schemes and insurance schemes for accident cum death among others.
The main schemes under the Non-Resident Keralites Welfare Fund are as follows
- Pension Scheme: This scheme allows non keralites to draw monthly pensions based on the continual monthly contributions till they attain the age of sixty and are cancelled if monthly contributions aren’t made continuously for a year
- Family Pension Scheme: In case of the unfortunate demise of those members who are eligible for the superannuation scheme, their spouses, children below 21 years of age and dependant parents are eligible to receive 50% of the pension of the deceased member
- Pension Scheme for Invalids: Those members who have made monthly contributions for a minimum period of 3 years and cannot continue work due to physical impairment can avail the pension for invalids upon providing relevant medical certificates
- Scheme for financial assistance to dependents of a deceased member: In the u fortunate demise of a member of the Welfare fund, then their dependants or legal heirs can receive a maximum benefit of Rs 50,000
- Financial Assistance for Medical Treatment scheme: members of the NRK welfare fund who have been diagnosed with critical illness can avail a maximum benefit of Rs 50,000 provided they have not availed any other claim from other agencies, central government or the state government.
- Scheme for Payment of Financial Assistance for Maternity: Female members who have made continuous contributions for at least 2 years can avail maternity benefit of Rs 3000 to meet expenses or Rs 2000 in cases of abortion and these benefits can be availed a maximum of 2 times during the membership period
- Scheme for Payment of Educational Grant: Members who have made monthly contributions for a minimum of 2 years continuously can have their children avail educational grants to pursue higher studies
- Insurance Scheme for Accident cum Death and Health: Based on the availability of funds and sanctions from the government, the welfare fund will implement an insurance scheme to provide medical treatment to members in cases of accidents and financial assistance to nominees in cases accidental deaths
- Scheme for Payment of Loan for Housing: The NRK welfare fund board will setup a relief fund from which housing loans of members who have made monthly contributions for a period of 5 years will be paid and the board will decide if these loans sanctioned will be interest free or not. Members can also avail interest free loans from the relief fund for self-employment purposes
- Scheme to provide Assistance in Marriage: Members can avail assistance to meet marriage expenses of their daughters to the amount of Rs 5000. This benefit can be availed either twice or for two daughters and only one member per family can avail this benefit if there are multiple members in a single family. The member can avail this benefit only if he/she has made monthly contributions for a period of 3 years
- Other Schemes include medical treatment for common disease for up to Rs 10,000 and critical illnesses for up to Rs 25,000, old age assistance and death benefits of up to Rs 10,000 for nominees in case the member dies before attaining the age of 60 years.