Need to improve conditions of slum dwellers
India has witnessed tremendous growth over the last 2-3 decades, which has resulted in a large population migrating from villages to cities, in a bid to be a part of the booming economy. Mass migration and unplanned growth have resulted in the formation of huge slums in almost every city of India, slums which are home to millions of people. The condition of most of these slums are pathetic, with poor sanitation and hygiene, forming a dark blot on the image of a developing India. The Valmiki Ambedkar Awaas Yojana is a scheme which aims to improve the condition of slum dwellers in the country.
About Valmiki Ambedkar Awaas Yojana
Launched in 2001, the Valmiki Ambedkar Awaas Yojana is a centrally sponsored scheme which aims to improve the living conditions of slum dwellers across India, hoping to transform the way of life in these slums. Given the fact that the growth of our nation depends on the growth of individuals, this scheme hopes to help slum dwellers utilise their potential, helping them achieve a decent standard of living.
Objectives of Valmiki Ambedkar Awaas Yojana
The primary objective of Valmiki Ambedkar Awaas Yojana is to provide shelter for people living in urban slums. This scheme is targeted to those who are under the poverty line, and aims to either build new shelter or upgrade existing shelter for thousands of slum dwellers. Through this, it hopes to achieve a goal of providing shelter for everyone, while eliminating slums from cities at the same time. Apart from shelter, the scheme aims at providing a healthy environment which can be used to help people crawl out of the poverty line, helping them improve their standard of living.
Valmiki Ambedkar Awaas Yojana Eligibility
This scheme can be availed by individuals who are residing in urban slums. While it is primarily intended for people who are below the poverty line, certain members of economically weaker sections of the society can also participate in it, provided they do not have adequate shelter. A slum is generally defined as a congested area having a population of over 300 people living in unhygienic conditions, with poor infrastructure, sanitation and drinking water facilities.
Financial Aid available
Financial assistance to the tune of Rs 40,000 can be availed under the scheme, which includes provision for a sanitary toilet as well. This scheme is a partnership between the central and state governments, with both parties contributing 50% towards implementing VAMBAY.
- Pradhan Mantri Adarsh Gram Yojana
- Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana
- Rashtriya Sam Vikas Yojana
- Sampoorna Gramin Rojgar Yojana
- Shyama Prasad Mukherji Urban Mission
- Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme from Kotak Mahindra Bank
- Swarnajayanti Gram Swarozgar Yojana
- Valmiki Ambedkar Awaas Yojana
- Vikas Yojana Skill India Program
- 4 Essential-documents About Death Claims
- 7 Ways to Check PF Account Balance
- Banking Ombudsman
- Gold Saving Funds vs Gold ETF
- Gramin Bhandaran Yojana
- Gratuity Calculator and How to Calculate Gratuity
- Indira Gandhi Matritva Sahyog Yojana
- Pooled Finance Development Fund Scheme
- Salary Definitions for Calculation of Gratuity HRA
- Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan
- Losing Bank Locker Keys Here What You Need to Know