Birla Sun Life Insurance Company Limited (BSLI) is a joint venture between the Aditya Birla Group and Canadian financial firm Sun Life Financial Inc. With over 2.5 million customers, BSLI is one of the leading life insurance companies and fund managers in India.
The company has over 600 branches spread over 500 cities and pioneered the launch of Unit Linked Life Insurance plans. BSLI provides a complete range of insurance services including protection solutions, health and retirement solutions, wealth with protection, children’s future solutions, life stage products and customised group insurance solutions for employees of various organisations.
Key Highlights of Birla Sun Life Insurance
Claim Settlement Ratio
Claim-settlement ratio of 88.45% for year 2015-2016
99.99% Grievances Settled for year 2015-2016
To be eligible for Birla Sun Life Insurance
You should be at least 18 years old
You should be less than 56 years old
You should be either Salaried, Self- employed, a professional or have your own business
Birla Sun Life Insurance at a Glance
A maximum tenure of 30 years
Min Sum Assured: Rs.50,00,000
Max Sum Assured: Rs.500,00,00,000
Specific exclusions: Suicide within the first 12 months
Documentation needed to apply for an Birla Sun Life Insurance
- 1. Identity Proof
- 2. Age Proof
- 3. Income Proof
- 4. Address Proof
- 5. PAN Number
Birla Sun Life Insurance Plans in India
Birla Sun Life Protection Solutions:
The traditional plans denote pure life insurance policies wherein the insured pays a fixed low premium over the policy tenor, and receives high Sum Assured values. These plans are typically basic plans that pay out benefits only in case of the insured’s demise.
- BSLI Protector Plus Plan : The Protector Plus Plan is a pure term plan with high sum assured and affordable premiums which makes it ideal for those looking for affordable insurance plans which will protect their family’s future
- BSLI Future Grand Plan: This plan offers the advantages of attractive sum assured with low premiums. It also comes with maturity benefits like return of 100% to 150% of the premiums paid.
- BSLI Easy Protect Plan: This is a traditional life insurance plan that provides flexible cover choices including constant as well as increasing term assurance amounts.
- BSLI Protect@Ease Plan:This is a term insurance plan which offers flexibility in Sum Assured, tenor and other options so that all your insurance requirements are met.
|Plan Type||Basic Sum Assured||Tenure|
|Protector Plus||Rs.30,00,000||5-30 years|
|Future Grand||Rs.5,00,000||10,15,20,25,30 years|
|Easy Protect||Rs.50,00,000||5-30 years|
Birla Sun Life Savings With Protection Plans:
These plans involve the company investing your funds in mutual funds, or other financial instruments, so as to provide higher returns. According to the chosen product, the Sum Assured may be incremental, or benefits can be paid out in instalments. These plans typically have both maturity and death benefits.
- BSLI Vision MoneyBack Plus Plan: it is a traditional participating insurance plan that offers regular payouts depending on the Sum Assured.
- BSLI Vision LifeIncome Plan: it is a participating whole life insurance plan providing 5% of the Sum Assured yearly as well as additional coverage through Riders.
- BSLI Vision Endowment Plan: it is a participating life insurance plan that provides accrued bonuses from the 1st policy year onwards over a 7-10 year premium paying period.
- BSLI Savings Plan: it is a participating life insurance plan that offers additional Sum Assured in case of accidental death as well as guaranteed additions for the first 5 policy years.
- BSLI Life Secure Plan: it is a participating whole insurance plan that offers protection as well as pays out regular bonuses from the first policy year.
- BSLI Income Assured Plan: it is a non-participating insurance plan that provides 8% of the Sum Assured annually as well as guaranteed additions.
- BSLI Vision Regular Returns Plan: it is a non-participating insurance plan providing annual survival benefits from the 5th policy year onwards.
- BSLI Vision Endowment Plus Plan: it is a participating endowment plan offering regular bonuses during the policy tenure along with a choice of benefit options.
- BSLI Guaranteed Future Plan: it is a non-participating insurance plan offering flexibility in choice of the policy term and annual amount payable.
- BSLI Secure Plus Plan: it is a non-participating insurance plan that provides accidental death benefit and offers flexibility when choosing income benefit payouts.
|Plan Type||Basic Sum Assured||Tenure|
|Vision MoneyBack Plus||Rs.1,00,000||20,14 & 25 years|
|Vision LifeIncome||Rs.2,00,000||Entry age to 100 years|
|Vision Endowment||Rs.1,00,000||7 & 10 years|
|Savings||Rs.30,000||10,15 & 20 years|
|Vision LifeSecure||Rs.2,00,000||15-35 years|
|Income Assured||Rs.1,00,000||15,17,20,22 & 25 years|
|Vision Regular Returns||Rs.2,00,000||20 years|
|Vision Endowment Plus||Rs.1,00,000||10-40 years|
|Guaranteed Future||Rs.10,000||8-20 years|
Birla Sun Life Child Plans:
Birla Sunlife Child plans are highly useful insurance policies, wherein the child’s future is secured through payments made at important junctions of his/her life. Some plans also offer the option of premium-payment by the company in case the insured doesn’t survive the policy tenor.
|Plan Type||Basic Sum Assured||Tenure|
|Vision Star||Rs.1,00,000||14 & 16 years|
Birla Sun Life Retirement Plans:
The Birla Sun Life retirement plans are meant to provide steady income for senior citizens who are not working anymore. The plans pay out fixed benefits at policy maturity or retirement, while also paying death benefits as applicable to the particular policy.
- BSLI Empower Pension Plan.
- BSLI Immediate Annuity Plan.
- BSLI Empower Pension- SP Plan.
Birla Sun Life Wealth With Protection Plans:
- BSLI Wealth Max Plan : An insurance plan with investment options that cater towards wealth protection with guaranteed additions and a life cover that is never less than 105% of the total premiums paid.
- BSLI Wealth Secure Plan: A life insurance plan that ensures financial management stays perfect through the choice of an investment option and also provides whole life cover.
- BSLI Wealth Assure Plan: A life insurance plan that provides the invested fund value upon maturity on survival and death benefit that includes the sum assured as well as fund value.
- BSLI Fortune Elite Plan: An insurance plan that allows the customer to choose an investment option to allow for maximum protection of wealth and additionally provides a life cover.
- BSLI Wealth Aspire Plan: it is a unit-linked insurance plan that offers multiple policy term options as well as top-up additions. Partial withdrawals can also be made.
|Plan Type||Basic Sum Assured||Tenure|
|Wealth Max||1.25/5/10 times basic premium||5,10,15 & 20 years|
|Wealth Assure||Rs.1,00,000 if paid annually Rs.1,80,000 if paid monthly||10,15,20,25 & 30 years|
|Fortune Elite||Rs.4,00,000||5,10,15 & 20 years|
|Wealth Aspire||Rs.3,00,000||10-40 years|
Birla Sun Life Rural Insurance Plans:
- BSLI Bima Dhan Sanchay.
- BSLI Bima Suraksha Super.
- BSLI Bima Kavach Yojana.
- BSLI Grameen Jeevan Raksha Plan.
|Plan Type||Basic Sum Assured||Tenure|
|Bima Dhan Sanchay||Rs.5,000||5,10 & 15 years|
|Bima Suraksha Super||Rs.5,000||5,10 & 15 years|
|Bima Kavach Yojana||Rs.50||3 years|
|Grameen Jeevan Raksha||20 times single premium||5 years|
Birla Sun Life Insurance Group Plans:
- Group Value Plus Plan: it is a gratuity solution plan that provides a number of plan options based on individual needs.
- Group Unit Linked Plan: it is a gratuity solution plan that offers 10 investment fund options and added benefits up to 5% of the initial contribution.
- Group Superannuation Plan: it is an insurance plan providing multiple investment options.
- Group Asset Assure Plan: it is a non-linked, non-participating plan insurance plan providing flexible premium payment options and multiple benefit options.
Birla Sun Life Insurance Claims Process:
With the aim of providing policyholders with a hassle-free claims process, Birla Sun Life Insurance has set up an easy-to-understand and detailed claims process. Policyholders can file a claim either online or offline, based on their convenience.
Online Claims Process:
- Policyholders who wish to file a claim online can intimate the company by sending an email to the Claims Department, mentioning the policy number as well as the policyholder’s details such as name, address, date of birth etc.
- Alternatively, policyholders can also notify Birla Sun Life Insurance by visiting the website and filling an online claim intimation. On the Birla Sun Life Insurance homepage, claimants will have to click on the ‘Claims’ option and select the ‘Claims Process’ tab, from where they can file an online intimation.
- Once the claim has been authenticated and verified by the Claims Team, a decision is taken as to whether the claim will be accepted or rejected.
- Payouts for accepted claims are generated and the beneficiary is sent an intimation as well as the payout.
Offline Claims Process:
- Policyholders can visit a Birla Sun Life Insurance branch or office and file a claim by filling out a Claim Form.
- The form and relevant documentation would be scrutinized and verified by the Claims Team, following which a decision would be taken.
- If the claim is accepted, the payout would be generated and released and the beneficiary would be intimated regarding the same.
Birla Sun Life Claim Settlement Ratio:
Birla Sun Life Insurance’s claim settlement ratio for the past two financial years is given below:
|Claim Settlement Ratio (%)||87.76||95.30|
|Total Premium (in crores)||4,833.05||5,233.22|
Documents Required for Birla SunLife Insurance:
Individuals who wish to purchase a Birla Sun Life Insurance policy are required to submit a list of documents to verify their identity and personal details. The documentation to be submitted is as follows:
- Recent passport-sized photograph.
- Proof of identity: any 1 of the below mentioned documents can be submitted towards proof of identity:
- Driving licence.
- PAN card.
- Aadhaar card.
- Voter’s identity card.
- Job card issued by NREGA, signed by a State Government officer.
- Proof of residence: Any one of the below mentioned documents are to be submitted towards proof of residence.
- Property tax or municipal tax receipt.
- Bank account or post office account statement.
- Rent agreement.
- Utility bills (electricity, gas, telephone) not more than 2 months old.
- Letter of allotment or accommodation from State or Central government, financial institutions or listed companies.
Checking Birla Sun Life Insurance Policy Status:
Checking the status of a Birla Sun Life Insurance policy has been made simpler and more convenient with the company offering policyholders a number of channels. Policyholders can check the status of their life insurance policy through the following methods mentioned below.
Checking Policy Status Online:
Policyholders can check the status of their Birla Sun Life Insurance policies online by registering on the insurer’s homepage.
On registration, policyholders can sign in to their accounts and click on the ‘Policy Details’ tab from the options listed.
The current status of the policy in question will be displayed onscreen.
Policyholders can also email the insurance company to receive details as to the status of their policies.
Policyholders will have to provide information such as the policyholder’s name, date of birth, address, policy number etc. in the email.
Checking Policy Status Offline:
Policyholders can also call on the toll-free number provided by Birla Sun Life Insurance to get details on the current status of their life insurance policies. The toll-free number is serviced during working hours from Monday to Friday.
Policyholders will have to provide their name, policy number and additional information for authentication purposes.
Birla Sun Life Insurance Online Payment:
To make it easier for policyholders to make their premium payments on time and ensure that the payment channel is secure, Birla Sun Life has introduced online premium payments. Through this channel, policyholders can make their premium payments wherever they are and ensure they do not miss a payment and incur a penalty.
Policyholders who wish to avail of this service can follow the procedure given below:
- Visit the Birla Sun Life Insurance website and click on the ‘Pay Premium’ option under the ‘Quick Links’ section.
- Enter the policy number and the insured’ date of birth, email address and mobile number and click on ‘Submit’.
- Confirm the amount to be paid as premium and choose a premium payment option.
- Complete the transaction through the selected payment option.
- An acknowledgement of the transaction will be displayed on screen, confirming the payment.
Birla Sun Life Insurance Premium Calculator:
Investing in life insurance is a long term plan for most policyholders, and comes at a significant cost in terms of premium payments. To ensure that policyholders are aware of the amount they would have to pay as premium throughout the policy term, Birla Sun Life Insurance has designed a premium calculator.
The calculator computes the amount that would have to be paid as premium for a particular policy based on certain factors and variables.
This helps individuals budget and plan for this regular expense, as well as pick policy terms that will suit their financial condition.
The Birla Sun Life Premium Calculator can be found on the insurer’s website and requires the individual to enter certain basic details such as date of birth, gender, desired life cover (in Rupees) and if they are a smoker/no-smoker.
The premium is then calculated based on the information provided.
Birla Sun Life Insurance FAQ’s:
Q. What is the minimum eligibility criteria when applying for a Birla Sun Life Insurance policy?
A. Following are the minimum eligibility criteria for a Birla Sun Life Insurance policy:
- Individual should be within the age range as defined by the policy.
- Individual should be able to make the premium payments for the policy tenure.
- Individual should meet any other requirements as defined by the policy in question.
Q. What is the procedure to renew my life insurance policy?
A. If you wish to renew your life insurance policy, you will have to make the premium payment and communicate the same to the company through email/a letter whereupon the policy will be renewed.
Q. How do I cancel my Birla Sun Life Insurance policy online?
A. You can cancel your Birla Sun Life Insurance policy online by filling in the Surrender Form and submitting it as well as ceasing all premium payments.
Q. How do I generate the e-receipt for my Birla Sun Life Insurance policy?
A. The e-receipt can be generated by filling in details requested in the ‘Premium Paid Certificate’ link, which can be found on the company’s homepage.
Q. How do I contact Birla Sun Life Insurance customer service?
A.The customer services team can be contacted through email, by calling on the toll-free number (1-800-270-7000) from Monday to Friday or by visiting a Birla Sun Life Insurance branch office.
Q. To whom is the claim amount paid?
A. Claim amounts are disbursed to the nominee/assignee/appointee under Birla Sun Life policies.
Q. How can a loan be taken against a Birla Sun Life policy?
A. Once the policy has acquired Surrender Value, a loan can be taken against it. Every policy has different loan amounts that can be taken depending on the policy.
Q. How is the NAV calculated for servicing requests?
A. NAV is calculated at the time of making valuation / purchase. It’s calculated on the same day as when you make a transaction request.
Q. What is a switch in terms of my ULIP, and how can I make use of this facility?
A. A switch is when you shift the existing units of the ULIP into a new fund, which does not change your premium allocation. In order to switch, you must:
- Update the fund information on the Birla Sun Life website using your CIP / TPIN.
- Submit a switch form signed by you.
- Call the company to take the switch request.
Q. What is a redirection in terms of my ULIP, and how can I make use of this facility?
A. Premium redirection enables you to change the allocation for all your future policy premium payments with your existing units being transferred to a new fund. In order to initiate a redirection, you must:
Update the fund information on the Birla Sun Life website using your CIP / TPIN.
Submit a redirection form signed by you.
Call the company to take the redirection request.
Q. What are the documents required to initiate a pay out?
- Duly filled Payout/Cancellation form.
- Original policy document (except in case of Withdrawal).
- Photo ID proof.
- Address proof.
- Cancelled cheque.
- Bank passbook/statement.
Q. Can riders be added to a policy that’s in force?
A. Riders can be added after the first policy year.
Q. What are the requirements to add a rider?
A. The following must be submitted to add a rider:
- A lett
- Letter from the policyholder.
News About Birla Sun Life Insurance
Birla Sun Life to employ more women insurance advisors
On 7th April 2017, Birla Sun Life Insurance launched the Swabhimaan campaign in Lucknow. The initiative would allow homemakers to become self-dependent by becoming insurance advisors of the company. As per the company, it is the caring and protective nature of women that makes them successful advisors. The company also highlighted that women advisors bring in more business compared to their male counterparts. Birla Sun Life Insurance plans to employ more than 10,000 women advisors by the end of 2017. In Uttar Pradesh, the company will focus primarily on cities like Lucknow, Kanpur, Allahabad, Agra, Bareilly, Meerut, etc.
13th April 2017
Aditya Birla Nuvo’s third quarter net profit rises 7.98 percent
Aditya Birla Nuvo has reported an increase in its net profit at Rs.397.53 crore for the third quarter. Last year they posted a consolidated net profit of Rs.368.14 crore in the same quarter. The net sales came down by 17.41 percent from last year. The life insurance revenue was Rs.1,189.55 crore. Telecom revenue was Rs.2,093.94 crore. Textile business revenue was Rs.333.06 crore. Agri business revenue was Rs.689.34 crore. The company also said that it is planning on investing Rs.150 crore towards the capital expenditure for its divisions.
12th February 2016
AB Nuvo to sell stake worth Rs 1,664 crore in insurance JV
Aditya Birla Nuvo on Tuesday said 23% stake worth Rs 1,664 crore will be sold in Birla Sun Life Insurance to substantially reduce its net debt as well as enhance the balance sheet to support their growth plans.
Canada's Sun Life Financial has proposed to increase its stake in the insurance joint venture Birla Sun Life Insurance (BLSI) to 49% from 26% with an investment of Rs 1,664 crore.
BLSI is majorly owned by Aditya Birla Nuvo Ltd (ABNL) and after the deal, it would stably hold the controlling stake in their joint venture at 51%.
ABNL mentioned in a filing that they made to the stock markets,"Proceeds from the stake sale in BSLI will reduce the net debt of ABNL substantially. Coupled with the free cash flow generation from divisions, the standalone balance sheet of ABNL will stand strengthened to support its growth plans," ABNL said in a filing made to the stock exchanges.
The deal, is expected to be completed by the end of 2015-16 fiscal year, subject to regulatory approvals.
9th December 2015
Sun Life Financial to invest more in Birla Sun Life Insurance (BSLI)
Sun Life Financial - one of the leading financial companies in Canada has decided to invest Rs. 1,664 crore in Birla Sun Life Insurance (BSLI). This move is taken to raise its stake from its previous 26% to 49%. Simultaneously, Aditya Birla Nuvo Limited has signed a contract with Sun Life Financial to sell nearly 437 million equity shares which constitutes 23 % of the paid-up equity share of Birla Sun Life Insurance. It is estimated that the 23% stake sale will raise ABNL Rs. 1,664 crore for ABNL and benefit Birla Sun Life Insurance as well. After the completion of this contract, Sun Life Financial’ stake in BSLI will go up to 49%. Birla Sun Life Insurance is one of the leading private life insurance companies in India providing various life insurance schemes with a current market share of 7.9% for the year ended in September, 2015.
3rd November 2015
Sun Life to raise its stake in Birla Sun Life
Canadian insurer Sun Life Financial Inc. is planning to raise its stake in its joint venture in India, Birla Sun Life Insurance. Asia contributed about 13 percent to Sun Life’s earnings in the second quarter.
Since the RBI has increased the proportion of foreign investment, insurance companies are creating an opening for Sun Life to expand its presence. Chief Executive, Dean Connor said that Sun Life wants to increase its stake in Birla Sun Life to 49 percent from the current 26 percent. Conner believes that the Asian business will be larger than their Canadian business.
Sun Life also owns 49 percent of Birla Sun Life Asset Management, it is the fourth largest mutual fund company in India. Sun Life shares went up to 4.9 percent on 6th August after the company reported a quarterly profit.
11th August 2015
Canada’s Sun Life set to up stakes in life insurance venture with Birla
Birla Sun Life Insurance Co. is set to see a change in its shareholding pattern with it’s foreign partner, Canada’s Sun Life, ready to enhance its holding in the company.
The recently amended Insurance Bill provides for higher FDI in insurance companies. Foreign players can now hold up to 49% of a life insurance company’s overall stake. Sun Life hopes to raise its stake up to the maximum limit allowed under the new law. While Sun Life currently holds 26%, which was the maximum allowed under the old law, Aditya Birla Nuvo Ltd. holds the remaining 74%.
Birla Sun Life, which has been in operations for over 15 years now, has Rs.30,000 crores as Assets Under Management (AUM). The Indian insurance industry is poised for growth with government-provided impetus and capital inflow from Sun Life will help the life insurance joint venture to capitalize on this.
7th May 2015
IBM & Birla Sun Life Insurance Sign 9 Year IT Outsourcing Deal
IBM and Birla Sun Life Insurance have signed a 9 year IT outsourcing deal which aims to take advantage of IBM’s cloud and mobility solutions to reduce costs, improve profitability and also increase revenue. The aim is to make BSLI work more in favour of customers and employees, to which end they will rely on IBM’s services in business consulting and application development and maintenance.
Mayank Bathwal, Dy. CEO of BSLI called the deal a winning partnership and said that Birla Sun Life Insurance will be able to benefit a lot from this deal and that this deal will help them keep up with and stay ahead in the insurance industry. Vanitha Narayanan, MD of IBM India, said that they were committed to helping transform the Banking Financial Services and Insurance industry in India and that this deal was one step in that direction. She also said that IBM will employ all of its global and local expertise to help BSLI expand.
6th February 2015
Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority Proposes New Rules to Safeguard Customers Buying Insurance
It is well known that some insurance agents will try to sell you policies that earn them the maximum commissioned and not ones which suit your needs. In light of this the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA) has proposed a new set of rules and guidelines that will promote more transparency and protect the interests of the customer during the sale of insurance products.
According to the new guidelines insurance agents will be required to disclose commision details should the customer ask for them and also tell customers the details of the premiums and any other policy related information that is asked for. They will also have to tell customers of similar products from other companies they represent and suggest the policy that is best for the customer.
These guidelines also make the insurers responsible for any mis-sales by their agents and may attract penalties of up to Rs. 1 crore if violations are discovered. The companies will also have to take responsibility of the agents and resolve conflicts without having to turn to and arbitrator for a solutions. They also suggest stricter hiring norms and background checks with the creation of a centralised list of agents who have been black-listed.
3rd February 2015
Focus on BFSI and Pharma Sector says Birla Sun Life’s Sashi Krishnan
Birla Sun Life’s CIO, Sashi Krishnan, speaking on investment opportunities in the stock market, described opportunities for returns from two major sectors viz. the BFSI and Pharma spaces. He talks about how the life insurance company’s own investment portfolio reflects the positive sentiments felt towards these sectors by featuring stocks of large banks and a few strong non-banking entities.
Reasons for a positive outlook on these sectors include falling interest rates, expected credit growth and improved asset quality in the banking sector and opportunities for large Indian companies in relation to US generics in the pharma sector. Additionally, he pointed out that deregulation in the oil marketing sector will bring in benefits over the next year.
These are the main sectors in which Birla Sun Life will be making incremental investments in the coming quarters.
28th January 2015
Life Insurers jostle over partnership with DCB
The current contract of the DCB bank with private life insurance player Birla Sun life Insurance is coming to an end. This has paved way for other insurance companies to queue up for a possible partnership with the bank.
Birla Sun Life Insurance has been a bancassurance partner of DCB since the year 2003. A ban assurance partnership helps insurance companies utilize the bank network in sensitizing people about their products and selling them. Since the RBI guidelines of letting banks act as insurance brokers, DCB is being approached by private insurance companies like Reliance, HDFC and MAX to act as their distribution partner.
According to DCB bank, the contract of the bank with Birla Sun Life insurance is coming to an end and as such the bank will now have a fresh look at all prospective partners and their associated pros and cons before deciding on one.
27th January 2015
This Insurance Company has not partnered with BankBazaar.com. For more details, please visit its website/branch office. The trademarks, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective owners.
GST of 18% is applicable on life insurance effective from the 1st of July, 2017