Freecharge is one of the popular mobile payment apps in India that is owned by Axis Bank. The application is used by customers to recharge their mobile phones, pay utility bills, do online shopping and also use the unique ‘Chat n Pay’ service. The Freecharge wallet service was launched in September 2015, and has ever since introduced a number of attractive features. Recently, the wallet company joined hands with the Bharat Interface for Money (BHIM) and Unified Payments Interface (UPI) system, which has been developed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). This will enable all customers to send and receive funds through the UPI system. Freecharge UPI will allow users to initiate fund transfers instantly on a 24/7 basis on all 365 days in a year, including bank holidays. Money can be sent from one bank account to another without the need to know bank details such as IFSC code, bank account number, etc. The Freecharge Unified Payments Interface can be used by almost all bank customers in the country. As of now, the service is only available on Android smartphones.
Table of Contents
Freecharge Joins UPI
All those who use Freecharge will now have the facility to also make payments using the UPI system. All transactions can be made by linking the bank account to UPI using a Virtual Payment Address (VPA). With Freecharge UPI customers can:
- Make instant payments round-the-clock and from anywhere
- Secure and safe payment mechanism
- Raise a ‘collect’ request for money
- Make payments to online and offline merchants
- Scan & Pay using the BHIM UPI QR code feature
- Generate a UPI ID that will look something like ‘@freecharge’
Stepwise Process Involved in Generating a ‘@freecharge’ UPI ID:
Step 1: Open the Freecharge app and choose the ‘BHIM UPI’ option that appears on the homescreen
Step 2: Now, proceed to carry out mobile number verification, which will be done by OTP
Step 3: The next thing to do is to link savings bank account and choose a respective UPI PIN
Once this process is complete, money can be sent to anyone by keying in their respective UPI ID on the app. Payments can also be made to merchants using a UPI ID.
Check IFSC Code for Top Banks:
|State Bank of India IFSC Code||HDFC Bank IFSC Code||Indian Bank IFSC Code|
|Axis bank IFSC Code||Canara bank IFSC Code||ICICI Bank IFSC Code|
Benefits of UPI on Freecharge:
- No need to share confidential bank account information
- Free service with no transaction fee
- Available even on bank holidays
- Less time consuming
- Immediate money transfer
How to Register for Freecharge
Step 1: First download the app on your mobile phone through the Google Play Store
Step 2: Complete the mobile number verification process and choose a number if you have a dual sim phone
Step 3: Choose your bank account details and then verify the same using OTP and debit card data
Step 4: Choose a UPI pin
How to Add a Bank Account on the Freecharge App
Step 1: Open the app and choose the ‘Add Bank Account’ option
Step 2: Proceed to choose the name of the bank and the system will automatically detect your account number
Step 3: Initiate the account number verification process by keying debit card details and completing the OTP verification process
Step 4: The mobile number linked to the bank account needs to be the same as that linked to the app
How to Make Payments using Freecharge
There are different methods that can be used to make payments using this digital payment platform. Let us take a look at them one by one:
- Chat & Pay: Payments can be made using this feature through a chat window. This is an easy method because money can be sent in a much faster method. The chat window can be found on the home screen.
- PIN feature: The ‘onthego’ PIN feature allows customers to transact while on the move without having an active mobile internet connection. Through this, payments can also be made offline.
- UPI: This is also a popular payment method that can be used by linking a bank account and processing transactions through a VPA.
- OTP: This is a type of offline payment method that can be done by giving out your phone number at a retail outlet and then making a confirmation of the payment through an OTP.
- Scan & Pay: The QR Code feature can be used to ‘Scan & Pay’ at all merchant outlets. There is no need to furnish any phone number details to use this feature.
FAQs of Freecharge Wallet
What is Freecharge UPI?
Ans: Freecharge UPI is a type of payment method through which transactions can be made directly through a bank account without the need to add money through a wallet.
What is a UPI ID?
Ans: A UPI ID is something like an email ID that is used to identify people or merchants in the UPI ecosystem. It is a unique identification that is given to each user in this type of payment system.
Do all IDs have to end with @freecharge?
Ans: Yes, the name of the app will be used in the UPI ID.
Is the unified payments interface service available on Windows and iOS platforms?
Ans: No. Unfortunately, this has not yet been rolled out to these types of platforms yet.
Is it possible to delete a contact that is linked to my unified payments interface?
Ans: Yes. Go to the ‘Delete Beneficiary’ option that can be found under the 'My Account' details under 'UPI Settings'.
How to delete a registered bank account from the wallet app?
Ans: This can be done by going to the 'My Account' section and deleting the linked bank account.
Is it possible to add any bank account to app?
Ans: Any UPI-enabled bank that is part of the Unified Payments Interface network can be used to make payments.
Other IFSC Related Article
|NEFT Timing||Digital Wallet||Mobile Wallet|
|SBI UPI||Bank IFSC Code|
Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.