It is not surprising that with changing lifestyles and unhealthy food habits, heart diseases are rising at an alarming rate. The lack of healthy habits and discipline have led people to fall prey to different kind of heart diseases. There are also incidents of people getting heart attacks at an early age of 30-40 years. The worst part is that the medical costs are also increasing every year. If people are not careful enough to plan their finance wisely, they might lose huge chunk of their savings to medical issues. They won’t have any money left to lead a comfortable lifestyle. What is more shocking is that in a country like India where heart diseases are so common, we do not have many health insurance plans which are exclusively meant for heart patients.
Recently, Start Health Insurance launched a plan named ‘Star Health Cardiac Care’ exclusively for patients suffering from heart ailments. They no longer have to go through a painful period of financial worries. Everything will be taken care of by the insurance company.
Star Health Cardiac Care:
It is the first health insurance plan that has been launched in India to meet the needs of individuals suffering from cardiac ailments. This plan covers all kind of heart ailments. This plan is quite innovative in that sense.
Some of the key features of this plan are as follows:
- The minimum entry age is 10 years. The maximum entry age is 65 years.
- The best thing about this plan is that there is no age limit for renewal.
- It is an individual plan.
- Exclusively meant for patients who have undergone heart related treatments.
- Any individual who has previously gone through angioplasty and bypass surgery is eligible to apply for this plan. However, he/she can apply only after 6 months from the date of surgery and until 3 years after surgery.
- Under this insurance policy, there are two plans namely Gold Plan and Silver Plan. Gold plan covers all the hospitalization expenses that have occurred due to heart related surgeries. It also covers cardiac medical management. On the other hand, the Silver plan covers all the hospital expenses that have occurred due to heart related complications.
- Medical screening is mandatory before the application gets accepted.
- Tax Benefits are also available under this plan as per section 80D of the Income Tax Act.
- If the policyholder is not happy with the rules and regulations of this policy, he/she can choose to cancel this policy during the free look period. A free look period of 15 days since the date of receipt of the policy is provided.
- It has a waiting period of only 90 days after the inception of the policy
- It covers both pre hospitalization and post hospitalisation charges.
Bharti Axa Life Triple Health Insurance Plan:
Even though this plan is not exclusively meant for cardiac patients, it still covers many heart related ailments such as heart transplant, heart valve surgery, stroke, heart attack etc. Some of the key features of this plan are as follows:
- The best thing about this plan is that the individual can make claims for three unrelated critical illnesses which have been listed under three groups namely Group A, Group B and Group C. Many heart related ailments such as heart transplant, heart attack, heart valve surgery etc have been listed under Group A.
- The policyholder gets 100% sum assured on each claim.
- Here, the minimum entry age is 18 years. The maximum entry age is 80 years. The maximum maturity age is 85 years.
- One of the key benefits of this plan is that once the first claim is made, the future premiums are waived off.
- Tax Benefits on the premiums is available as per Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
- The policy term is 15 years. The minimum Sum Assured is Rs.2,00,000 and the maximum Sum Assured is Rs.30,00,000.
Apart from these two, cardiac patients can also opt for the general health insurance plans in India such as Max Bupa Heartbeat, Religare Care Health Insurance plan etc. Most of these policies cover heart related diseases.
Need for More Exclusive Health Insurance Plans for Heart Patients:
The sad thing is that even though statistics have revealed that India has one of the highest number of heart patients in India, we still do not have many health insurance plans which are specifically designed for the heart patients. Our lives have become extremely hectic. People hardly get time to eat proper food, exercise regularly and go for regular health check ups. Due to lack of a disciplined lifestyle, heart ailments are rising. The situation is much worse for the people belonging to middle and lower economic strata of the society. They not only have to go through the physical agony of heart ailments, they also have to go through many sleepless nights worrying about the medical expenditures. Many families even have to go to the extent of delaying their treatments or surgeries because of rising cost. It is at times like these that we need more insurance companies to come forward and design specific plans. If we have more plans exclusively meant for the heart patients, it will make their lives a lot easier by taking off the financial burden. Hopefully in the coming years, other insurance companies will follow the footsteps of Star Health Insurance and come up with their own plans exclusively meant for cardiac patients.
GST rate of 18% applicable for all financial services effective July 1, 2017.
Disclaimer: Premiums may vary depending upon factors like age, location and prevailing taxes/GST.