A "low interest" loan shouldn't mean you have very little interest in paying it back!
  • Possession Certificate in Karnataka

    Possession certificate in Karnataka is issued by the Bangalore Development Authority. It is one of the most important documents that the buyer gives to the seller stating the date pf property possession. The certificate is also used to include the concerned property in the land revenue records.

    Documents Required
    • Sale deed agreement copy
    • Registered sale agreement copy
    • Applicants identity and signature proof
    • Certificate of encumbrance (Form 15)

    Possession Certificate

    To apply for the possession certificate, you should approach the deputy secretaries in the BDA. The service will take up to 7 days to get approved. In case, you do not like the decision made by the deputy secretary, you can approach the commissioner for the second appeal.

    Steps to Apply for Possession Certificate in Karnataka

    • Step 1: Visit the website Sakala Karnataka Official Site
      Sakala website
    • Step 2: Click on the “Sakala Online Services” tab.
    • Step 3: Click on the “Bangalore Development Authority” tab.
      Sakala Online Services
    • Step 4: Alternatively, you can also visit the Bengaluru Development Authority website and go to “Services Under Sakala” section.
      Sakala Services
    • Step 5: Click on “Apply Online Possession Certificate Under SAKALA” as highlighted in the picture above.
    • Step 6: You will be redirected to “Seva Sindhu” portal (https://sevasindhu.karnataka.gov.in).
    • Step 7: Again, click on the “Bangalore Development Authority” tab and proceed to click on “Application for Possession Certificate for Sites” or “Application for Possession Certificate for Flats”.
      Bangalore Development Authority
    • Step 8: Upon clicking, you will be able to check your eligibility and the documents required.
      Eligibility documents
    • Step 9: Click “Apply Online”. You will be asked to key in your registered mobile number and then click “Get OTP”. You will get a one-time password. Enter the OTP along with the captcha code and hit the “Submit” button.
      Submit Sakala
    • Step 10: You will also be required to upload all the mandatory documents. Upon completion of the process, your possession certificate will be issued.

    Offline Procedure

    To apply offline, submit the application for possession certificate along with all the necessary documents to the concerned officer at the Deputy Secretary’s Office. Ensure to get a note of acknowledgement. You won’t be charged any fee for the application. It will take a maximum of 7 working days to process the application. You will then receive a notification to collect the possession certificate. You will be required to sign in a register as an acknowledgment of receiving the certificate.

    Khata Transfer for Gifted or Sold Properties in BDA Approved Private Layouts or BDA Layouts

    If you want to apply for khata transfer for gifted or sold properties in BDA approved private layouts or BDA layouts, you should approach revenue officer (East), revenue officer (West), revenue officer (North), and revenue officer (South) for the same. It will take up to 30 days for the service to be delivered to you. If you are not satisfied with the decision of the revenue officer you can approach deputy secretaries for the same.

    Required Documents

    The documents that are required to apply for this service are mentioned below:

    • Duly filled application form
    • 2 passport-sized photographs
    • Attested identity and signature proof of the applicant
    • Attested copy of sales deed (if property is transferred by sale)
    • Paid tax receipt
    • No objection certificate from a private layout developer or housing society if the site belongs to them
    • In form no.15: encumbrance certificate from the inception to the date
    • Proof og currency of GPA, as well as his/her photo and ID proof, if the person selling/gifting the property is a GPA holder.
    • Title deed of the property in the name of the previous owner, in the original khata
    • An attested copy of the original gift deed, family tree, and ID proof as proof of the applicant being the blood relative of the person who has given the property (if the property is inherited through gift deed)


    You must submit the application to the designated officer along with other necessary documents. The application for a change of Khata will be reviewed, and the Revenue Officer's office will issue the applicant with a new khata. An invitation to collect the newly issued Khata will be given to the applicant.


    1. What do you mean by possession certificate?

      Bangalore Development Authority (BDA) issues a possession certificate in Karnataka. It is one of the most significant documents that the buyer presents to the seller, and it specifies the date on which the buyer will take possession of the property. The certificate is also used to register the property in the land revenue system.

    2. Is a possession certificate required for income tax?

      Yes, a possession certificate is required to claim tax benefits.

    3. What is an EC certificate?

      EC certificate or an encumbrance certificate is a certificate of assurance that the property in question is free of any legal or monetary liability, such as a mortgage or an uncleared loan.

    4. What is the purpose of the possession certificate?

      A possession certificate or letter, which states the date of possession, is an important document that the seller must provide to the buyer. The certificate can be used to get a bank to provide you with a housing loan.

    5. How can I get a property certificate in Karnataka?

      You can apply for a property certificate through Nemmadi Kendra in Karnataka.

    For Other States

    Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.

    This Page is BLOCKED as it is using Iframes.