Health insurance policies enable you to meet medical expenses. A health insurance policy covers hospitalization for more than 24 hours, nursing care, surgeries, consultation fees, diagnostic tests, hospital accommodation etc. You can avail these policies by paying a certain amount of money to the insurance company, in the form of premiums.
There is a constant rise in the number of health problems in Mumbai - one of the busiest and most populated cities in India. Health disorders such as diabetes, hypertension, tuberculosis, malaria, dengue and heat disorders are affecting its inhabitants greatly. Deaths caused by diseases like tuberculosis are reported to be very high. Research conducted by NGOs finds that one in every six deaths is caused by tuberculosis. Hence, the need for medical assistance is very pronounced in Mumbai, adding to the huge demand for insurances companies to compensate large medical bills.
Medical inflation has added to residents’ living costs. Cost of quality healthcare is only expected to rise in coming years. Mumbai, touted as one of the most expensive cities in the world, can expect health costs to be a major part of residents’ budgets thus making health insurance an absolute necessity. Fortunately, being a hub of economic activity in India, insurers are only too happy to service this burgeoning demand for health insurance policies.
Mumbai has a considerable number of top insurance companies functioning in the city.
Best Health Insurance Companies in Mumbai:
- Religare Health Insurance: One of the health insurance providers in Mumbai is Religare which has a tie up with hospitals like Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Asian Heart Institute, Fortis Sl Raheja Hospital, Icon Hospital & Research Centre and many more.
- HDFC Ergo: It is one of the top ten health insurance providers in Mumbai. The company has tie-ups with over 220 hospitals in Mumbai including Hiranandani Hospital, Lilavati Hospital, Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital. HDFC Ergo has five branches in Mumbai.
- Max Bupa Health Insurance: Max Bupa Health Insurance has tie-ups with hospitals like Hinduja Hospital, Hiranandani Hospital, Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Lilavati Hospital in Mumbai. It has three branch offices in Mumbai including Thane and old Mumbai. The Company aims to tie up with 600 hospitals across the country.
- Star Health Insurance Company: It has tie-ups with most of the major hospitals in Mumbai including Hiranandani Hospital, Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital etc. It has about 16 branches in Mumbai.
- ICICI Lombard General Insurance: It has tie-ups with hospitals like Lilavati Hospital, Hinduja Hospital, Hiranandani Hospital, Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital to name a few. It has 8 branches in Mumbai.
- Future Generali India Insurance: Future Generali Health Insurance has tie-ups with hospitals like Hiranandani Hospital, Hinduja Hospital, Lilavati Hospital, Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital etc. It has 5 branches in Mumbai.
- Bajaj Allianz General Insurance: The Company has tie up with the leading hospitals like Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Hiranandani Hospital, Hinduja Hospital, Lilavati Hospital and many more. It has 11 branches in Mumbai including the Navi Mumbai branch.
- Apollo Munich Health Insurance: The Company has tie up with many hospitals in Mumbai including the major hospitals like Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Hiranandani Hospital and Lilavati Hospital. It has 8 branches in Mumbai.
- Reliance General Insurance: The Company has connection with some of the leading hospitals like Lilavati Hospital and Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital in Mumbai. It has 11 branches in Mumbai.
- TTK Health Insurance: TTK is another major provider of health insurance in Mumbai. Its network hospitals include Abhishek nursing home, Aditya Jyot Eye Hospital, Agrawal Clinic Surgical & General hospital, Breach Candy Hospital, Bombay Hospital and Research Centre, Bethany Hospital etc. It has 1 branch office in Mumbai.
- Bharati AXA General Insurance: The Company provides health insurance to its customers in Mumbai through its huge number of network hospitals in Mumbai. It has tie up with hospitals like Sanjivani Hospital, Dr. Kandois Ashirwad Hospital, Paramount Medical Services Pvt. Ltd., Kolekar Nursing Home, Aditya Nursing Home and Kohinoor Hospital in Mumbai. It has 4 branches in Mumbai.
News About Health Insurance in Mumbai
71% of Mumbai's population suffers without medical insurance!
Shocking results from a survey conducted by a non-profit institution, Praja foundation has brought to light that 71% of the families in Mumbai have no medical insurance. The door to door survey which covered every economic group in Mumbai stated that 71% of the families are being pushed under the poverty line due to the skyrocketing price of medical treatments and lack of health insurance.
People from the lowest economy sector (SEC E) are the ones suffering more as the lack of health insurance compels them to pay for their medical treatments from their pockets. Only a better, cheaper health insurance coverage and better access to public healthcare institutions can change this problem.
23rd July 2015
Maharashtra rakes in highest amount of non-life premium
Maharashtra leads the pack in terms of gross premium collections at Rs.17,774 crores for the year 2013 - 2014 according to data released by the General Insurance Council (GIC). Tamil Nadu recorded the next highest amount at Rs.7,538 crores with Gujarat and Karnataka following. New Delhi rounded up the top 5 at Rs.5,000 crores.
Maharashtra’s leadership position in terms of premiums collected is attributed to the fact that Mumbai, it’s capital, is economically more developed. However, with other cities on the rise, economically, the gap between premiums collected in Maharashtra and other places is narrowing.
2nd June 2015