As the economy grows, people are getting more and more interested in having life and non-life insurance - primary among them is health insurance. The health insurance sector in India has experienced phenomenal growth over the past few years and currently holds the distinction of being the fastest growing insurance sector in the country with a premium cap of Rs. 17,500 cr (as of March 2014). In the span of less than a decade, 5 stand-alone exclusive health insurance providers have sprung up in India, testifying to the growing popularity and reach of such policies.
At present, there are around 28 general insurance firms that provide health insurance in the country. The four government-controlled firms are also the four largest in terms of premiums earned as well as claims disbursed. 5 standalone private firms are also operational, which provide various policy schemes for the healthcare sector.
Top 10 Health Insurance Companies in Ahmedabad
Ahmedabad is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. The city has a large population, but a very low penetration of health insurance in general. The growth has brought lakhs of people from nearby towns and villages, and health issues are on the rise among the population. As such, getting a health insurance policy can be of huge help by neutralising the costs related with both inpatient and outpatient procedures.
Public Health Insurers
- New India Assurance is the largest health insurance firm in the country in terms of premium collection. With a strong presence in Ahmedabad across 106 network hospitals (common for all private sector undertakings), this firm is a great option for getting health insurance policy in Ahmedabad.
- National Insurance, established in 1906 and headquartered in Kolkata, is a public sector company with a strong presence in Ahmedabad. It also has a wide presence across India through its 16,000 employees and more than a thousand offices.
- Oriental Insurance is also a bigwig in health insurance sector in India. It has network connections with the same 106 hospitals and provides health insurance policies at competitive premiums.
- United India Insurance is another major player in the Ahmedabad. It is based out of Chennai, and offers a range of products designed for almost every category of customers, such as Senior Citizen Mediclaim (for senior citizen), Workmen Medicare Policy (for industrial workers), and UNI Criticare (for critical illness), among others.
Private Health Insurers
- HDFC Ergo General Insurance, the second largest private health insurance firm in India, operates a network of 145 hospitals for cashless facilities, including Aastha Hospitals, Diva Healthcare, HCG Cancer center, and Kaizen Hospital, among others.
- Bajaj Allianz General Insurance is one of the fastest growing private sector general insurance firms with a cashless mediclaim network spanning over 120 hospitals and clinics in Ahmedabad.
- Reliance General Insurance, based out of Mumbai, has a strong network of connected hospitals in Ahmedabad at 100 healthcare installations. The company provides top notch service and a host of products designed for all categories of customers including children and senior citizens.
- ICICI Lombard General Insurance is the largest private sector firm in terms of coverage and premium collection. It has a strong presence in Ahmedabad, and customers can avail cashless facilities at any of the 67 networked hospitals in the city.
Standalone Health Insurers
- Star Health and Allied Insurance is the biggest specialized health insurance provider in the country in terms of premium collection. It also has the largest network of hospitals at 251 hospitals in Ahmedabad operating on cashless basis for Star Health customers.
- Religare General Insurance is another major standalone health insurance provider with customized plans at competitive premiums. Religare has connections with 42 hospitals in Ahmedabad where customers can avail cashless facilities.